“Korean food at its best”
Review of Baekdu - CLOSED

Baekdu
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed March 30, 2014

A very good friend of mine lives in Korea and on her last day in Manchester while I was at work she told me she tried Baekdu and it was amazing.

So I thought to go check it out myself and man, this place is truly great! I went twice so far, the first time I was with a friend and we ordered a big selection of various food from the menu: the fried meat dumplings, the potato pancake and the mixed tempura from the starters, the Jabche from the noodle dishes section and the Kimchi bokkeumbap from the rice dishes selection. We got happier and happier with every dish that was served, everything tasted amazing, we were very full after the meal!

The second time I was alone, and for a change I ordered the Nokdu Bindaeddeok pancake and the Yaki Soba noodle with seafood. I have to say the noodles were alright, but the Nokdu conquered me after the first bite, I basically dream about it in my sleep now! It's an amazing kind of pancake, crispy on the outside and melt in the mouth on the inside, with mung beans, pork and kimchi. I could have eaten it all day long, as I write this I am already craving some more!

The inside is not pretentious at all, it looks more like a school cafeteria, the kitchen is "open" in the sense that you can see the chefs cooking, and the waitress is also the owner, I believe. Very friendly and discreet.

I loved the fact that a lot of Korean-Asian people eat there on a regular basis, it sure means it's good, authentic food! If you love Asian food but are tired of the usual Chinese, then try this, you will not be disappointed!

Not the cheapest place I've had a solo lunch at, but very satisfying for sure!

2  Thank Gabster1987

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We were staying at the Premier Apartments in Manchester, directly opposite Baekdu, we love Asian food, but are always disappointed by Chinese restaurants these days. Food covered in bright coloured slime and always feeling ill a few hours after eating! Not to at Baekdu, the food is fresh, no horrendous additives, and the service is simple and friendly. We hadn't eaten true Korean food before, so needed some guidance with the menu; our waitress was very helpful and we had a really tasty meal.
We wanted to return the following evening, but the place was packed unsurprisingly, so sadly we had to fin find an alternative.
I would highly recommend eating here, just sad we don't have something similar where we live.

1  Thank Chuckles001
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The four of us found Baekdu to be a really enjoyable experience. The waitress was really helpful with the many questions we had about the menu and recommended a couple of things. Prices were extrememly reasonable and the food really good, we also tried the Korean beer which we again enjoyed finding it nice and light.
We will defintely be returning.
Many thanks Baekdu!!

1  Thank JanJim17
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I'd like to first add that some of the bad reviews about decor and such, while some others might prefer each restaurant they visit to be professional decorated, I personally don't mind,and the restaurant has a 5* rating from the Food Standards Agency - so no problems there.

The restaurant is small,and informal. They are clearly understaffed with just the owner lady tending to everybody. However the food is great, you can see the chefs cooking it from behind the counter. You get decent portions for the price you pay. No it's not the cheapest place but there aren't many Korean places in Manchester to choose from.

You will notice a lot of other Chinese/Koreans coming through the door here too - obviously a good sign!

My last visit was today, however been on 2 other occasions. Never any problems.

1  Thank RigaFanUk
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went here on a Saturday lunchtime with high hopes but, sadly, left feeling underwhelmed. The food was quite good, the service fine but it felt more functional that enjoyable.

We had a kind of prawn omelette, some sushi and a sizzling signature dish - all fine but lacked the "wow" factor. Two things I'd recommend that would immediately improve the place:

- Have a lunchtime menu - paying evening prices during the day seems excessive.
- don't charge £2.50 for a small bottle of diet coke - it's too much.

We enjoyed it as a one off but won't be going back.

2  Thank Off their P