“Nice food at reasonable prices, but feels like a canteen”
Review of Baekdu - CLOSED

Baekdu
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Nice food at reasonable prices, but feels like a canteen”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Went there with some friends. The only other customers in there were oriental. Always a good sign for authenticity. Layout was a bit casual. Scratched up chairs and tables - felt like a school canteen. Menu was large, and a good selection of non alcoholic beverages. Tea was topped up all the time by our friendly waitress. She also showed us how our dishes should be eaten, to ensure best taste. Portions were OK for the price - though my tofu soup main felt like a starter. All dishes tasted good. Only thing was they arrive when they are ready, as opposed to all at the same time, so a bit of waiting involved when eating in a group.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank huge_appetite

Manchester
“Ignore good reviews. This place is bad.”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I am South Korean and did not enjoy this restaurant. My family all had overpriced and very poor food. If you want a reasonably priced authentic Asian meal then don't waste your money here.

The decor is awful too.

Waste of money.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Qui L
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Would be nice if there were some lunch menus friendlier on the wallet!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Visited Baekdu for lunch as had read about it. The place was empty except for one occupied table when we went in. The prices are ok - not exorbitant but not exactly cheap. I was expecting good value lunch menus but there didn't seem to be any. My husband ordered one of the Korean soft drinks - crushed pear - which he enjoyed. We shared a kimchi pancake which was delicious. It was thicker than I thought, but nicely fried and crispy on the outside with healthy chucks of kimchi inside. Served piping hot with a dipping sauce - I might just return and have that as a meal! For the mains I had a udon noodle in spicy soup with beef and my husband had a cod fish dish in a soup with white rice served separately. I must say the portions are a little small for the prices. I found the soup very tasty and it was just what I needed as I was suffering from a cold and the weather has not been too good, so I really enjoyed the dish - would be better if there was a bit more though! My husband's cod dish was tasty too but the fish was not very fresh and tasted a bit rubbery so that was a bit of a disappointment. I like the place in general - it's nicely decorated, clean and bright and the lady who served us was really nice. There were some disappointing elements to our visit, but I enjoyed it on the whole and would definitely like to return to try the other dishes! Its location is perhaps not the most ideal, but hopefully by word of mouth, Baekdu will be better known in Manchester!

• Visited November 2012
Salford, England, United Kingdom
“Not worthy of such bad reviews”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Having never seen a review for this place before, I agreed to go for dinner with a friend. So let's make things clear.

This place is informal....so no need to dress up or have preconceived notions that this is a momentus occasion.

The food is inexpensive....but fairly priced....and is authentic!

The staff are friendly, efficient and helpful.

The reality....you spend an evening in excellent company (if lucky enough)...enjoying lovely food....picking from eachother's plates and making yummy noises.

Oh....and a bottle of plum wine completes the meal.

Don't be scared of the raw beef starter....it's a taste sensation!!

Be brave...give the place a whirl...but be realistic....great food, good service...that is all x

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Mandy B
Keith, United Kingdom
“Good”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

First time in a Korean restaurant and enjoyed it very much. The decor is not stunning but for something tasty to eat and quick just what we needed. Resonable priced and close to where we were staying at the holiday Inn express just round the corner.

• Visited September 2012