“Put off by unfriendly unhelpful waitress”

Carluccio's - Piccadilly Station
Ranked #233 of 2,329 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We normally love Carluccios restaurants and usually try to fit in a breakfast stop in any UK city we are visiting.
However, we were very out off by the unfriendly waitress who served us on Wednesday morning
4th December. We ordered "the Breakfast with poached eggs and tea" and assumed the waitress knew we meant the breakfast combo. However, when we were half way through the food and the juice had still not arrived we asked the waitress could we please have our juice. She said we hadn't ordered it! I said we thought we had ordered the special breakfast deal but she said the one we had ordered was £7 something and didn't include juice. What she ought to have done was amend our order and bring us the juice. We were very annoyed . This young lady needs some proper training in people skills.

There are newer reviews for Carluccio's - Piccadilly Station

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I was in Manchester for one Friday night attending a gig and needed somewhere to eat. Trying to find this place was fun... Carluccios website, Tripadvisor addresses and maps all pointed in different places (eg: Tripadvisor map says Piccadilly) so in the end I got confused and decided to look elsewhere. Resigned to Burger King at the train station and looking for somewhere to sit before ordering I found this place so decided to head in... happy that I'd stumbled upon it. ITS IN THE TRAIN STATION, but don't let that put you off... it is in a quiet part that feels more like an upmarket shopping mall.

Food wise:
Starter: I just had plain garlic bread for the starter. Quite nice, tasty, good thick bread.
Main: Vennison tortellini. I didn't order sides... but please note it arrives just as-is. Tortellini was nice but I did feel the sauce was just a bit too buttery and rich.
Dessert: I had the special which was the highlight. Poached pear and vanilla panna cotta. Both very tasty but I have to say two slices of pear felt stingy. Half the pear at least please! My personal opinion was that the plate would have benefited from a nice scoop of cinnamon icecream too. But overall, very nice and a good texture on the panna cotta. Lovely mulled wine spice flavor off the pear too.

I'm a fusspot and a nitpicker though and I have to say that I really did quite enjoy the meal and would go there again. Service was reasonably quick but the server I got did have to be asked multiple times for glasses of tap water. And a jug of tap water would have been nice, not just a simple little glass full.

Overall though, quite nice and would go again should I find myself back in Manchester.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

This is a tastefully decorated chain Italian that is popping up everywhere. It is the future Pizza-Express or Cafe Rouge, but still feels new. The restaurant is fronted with an Italian deli, and generally the decor is very tasteful. Menu is the same all over the UK and we opted for the fixed price menu (£10 two course) so was a bit surprised with the final bill of £19 each due to the mark up on drinks. Bruschetta (I thought that was French) and pate starters were nicely done and tasty. Main course was pasta with a nice sauce. There is a more extensive menu with steak etc, and salad etc. Generally this is a safe bet for an evening entertainment once in a while. I happened to visit two Carluccio's in a week and them to be exactly the same. Would be nice to have the odd pizza if a chain Italian. Ah well need to go to Italy for that!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We had lunch here when we arrived from Wales. Fabulous thick tasty soup, Italian bread. No one pushed us to have more food. The soup was so filling. Great coffee as well.
Two days later went back for breakfast, hot coffee and a great choice of breakfast available.
The staff are efficient and friendly.The pàlace immaculate.
I left my driving glasses, so phoned them and they posted them back to me first class.
My appriciation and a massive thanks to the staff. Ideal place to spend some free time.
Best thing that's happened to Piccidilly Station. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Had a bit of time to kill waiting for our train so thought we'd check this place out. We sat outside as it was more spacious. It took a while for anyone to come and ask what we wanted. We chose a few light dishes such as bread and oil with balsamic, Parma ham with Grissini sticks, garlic bread and rosemary potatoes as we'd had a big lunch. Food came quickly and did not disappoint. Would like to try the full menu next time. Staff just need to offer menu and drinks quicker as soon as someone sits down .