“Smiths Tour”

Manchester Music Tours
Ranked #5 of 33 Tours in Manchester
More attraction details
Owner description: Music themed guided tours around Manchester that include walking, driving, scheduled, private bespoke, bus tours, general and band/genre specific tours, such as; The Smiths/Morrissey, Joy Division, The Hollies, Oasis, Factory Records, Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses, tours led by Inspiral Carpets drummer and Manchester Music veteran Craig Gill.
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Craig Gill is a fantastic guide. Being in a Manchester band himself, has a wide knowledge of all Manchester music. Also tells you about Manchester as you go round, a must for tourist! We are local to Manchester & found the tour very interesting.

There are newer reviews for Manchester Music Tours

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I'm a big fans of the Stone Roses and I was in Manchester before I went to Glasgow last June for their gig. I decided to visit the city because I wanted to look around this place that produced such great bands, and someone told me that Craig Gill from Inspiral Carpets arranges great music tours, and there was a Stone Roses tour scheduled while I'm in the city. It was a great fun after all. He is very knowledgeable and he tells you all about what happened in all the sites and what went on, and it was so exciting to hear all that from someone who really knows his stuff because he was deeply involved in the Manchester scene. I enjoyed it a lot, plus the weather was lovely! I've already recommended this tour to other music fans I've met.

1  Thank Jiseung K
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was in Manchester for a short time in june 2013 and, as a big fan of the music scene there, i booked all 4 tours (Oasis, Smiths, Joy Division, Stone Roses). They were all pretty enjoyable. It's interesting to see all of these places that shaped and inspired so many great songs that I had been listening for years.

Craig Gill, the tour guide, knows a lot about the music scene there since he was around when a lot of the Manchester scene was unfolding. Noel Gallagher was his roadie for some time. He is very well documented and shared a couple of interesting stories and personal anecdotes relevant to the tours (about Noel, the Haçienda nights, the Stone Roses, etc.) Don't hesistate to ask questions, he had a lot of answers. You'll learn even more if you are a tiny bit documented and ask him some more questions.

I came all the way from Canada to do these tours and I got to say i think it was really worth it. You'll find yourself listening to some songs in a different way after visiting all these landmark places in Manchester.

1  Thank Alex D
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a fantastic tour! We were in Manchester for a couple of days and booked a private Smiths and Joy Division Tour. Our tour guide Craig Gill picked us up from our hotel and we were off on our adventure. Craig is very knowledgable and where else are will you be guided by someone who was part of this magical music scene. Besides answering everything we wanted to know about each Manchester band , He is very detailed on the history of the city! Next time I am in Manchester, definitely taking other music tour with Craig!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Being a couple of massive music fans, we were thrilled to have the opportunity to be escorted around Manchester by Craig Gill. We were on quite a tight schedule and Craig was very accomodating, managing to put together a private tour that suited our primary interests in the city.
As for being an actual insider on the musical scene there, Craig knows places that aren't public to visitors, and conducts the tour very respecfully, not bothering current owners of Morrissey's childhood house or the current place were the Gallagher's mother still live, for instants. We appreciated that.
In a little bit over three hours, we covered main sites in both Manchester and Salford with lots (really, lots!) of information on Tony Wilson and the Hacienda times, the Smiths, the Stone Roses, Oasis...
One remarkable visit is the Salford Lads Club, with the amazing Smith's shrine inside. Don't miss it.