“A hidden gem”

Kaleido Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Kaleido Restaurant and Bar, situated at the top of one of Manchester's most unique buildings is a vibrant, contemporary British restaurant and cocktail bar.Opened in July 2012, Kaleido is headed up by TV chef Frank Bordoni and Paul Riley, the restaurant's Rochdale born executive head chef. The restaurant itself, as the name suggests, incorporates dashes of colour in the decor and seasonally changing, full-flavoured menus to provide diners with a brand new taste experience, unrivalled in Manchester.To complement the food offering, the destination cocktail bar on sixth floor provides guests with innovative cocktail menus.Along with the panoramic views of the city’s skyline, from its unique 35 metre high standpoint, visiting Kaleido is an unforgettable experience.
Bingley, England, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had Sunday lunch at Kaleido for my brother's birthday, and were unsure what to expect. However, the restaurant is very modern with great views of the city. The menu was very tempting, and the food was even better than it sounded! Sunday lunches were a generous size, and the fish I had was beautiful. The puddings were gorgeous, and the treacle tart was the best I'd ever had! We went a week later to the cocktail bar which was also great - the bakewell tart cocktail especially. The atmosphere isn't as good as it could be, as it has been quiet both times I've been in, and the restaurant staff could do with a bit more training, but I'd definitely go again and would recommend it highly!

• Visited June 2013

“amazing food, amazing views.”
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

I visited at lunchtime and was suprised to find it quiet. I had the duck which was cooked to perfection and a baked alaska, which I could've eaten a hundred times over. The waiters were very friendly and the view from the restaurant was stunning. I would recommend to all.

• Visited June 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Tiny portions of mediocre food and a sterile experience”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

It's not often I come away from a restaurant quite upset that I bothered to go and spend my money there, but this is certainly the case with Kaleido. It clearly wants to place itself as a fine dining experience but does this based on some dated stereotype. The food portions are miniscule and nothing special at all - the main was a 3 inch piece of venison with three gnocci. I came home so hungry and disappointed.

What makes all this much worse is that I emailed the restaurant after the weekend with my feedback and have had no reply at all. I even followed up to the same email address I made the booking with to see why I had no reply. Nothing.

They clearly do not care about customers, which is odd for somewhere that is placing itself as a destination restaurant at the top of a building that many wouldn't think to visit for dinner. Surely they need to rely on good word of mouth? Don't bother going!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank 306CG
KaleidoRestaurant, Manager at Kaleido Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
We are very sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your experience at Kaleido, as you can appreciate from all the glowing references below, we pride ourselves on high standards and friendly service; the whole team has taken your comments on board, we hope we can welcome you back to show that this is not our normal standard.

We have carefully checked our email system, we cannot see any query from you, else we certainly would have replied immediately.

We are extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us.
Manchester
“Superb”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Attentive, helpful but not over fussy staff serving up exquisite food. Beautifully presented and cooked to perfection. Excellent wine list - not over priced. The best meal I've had in Manchester for a long while. Brilliant value too.

• Visited May 2013
Cheshire, UK
“Great food, friendly service”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Booked the early bird three course special for three for Saturday at 6pm.

We're greeted by friendly staff and taken to a nicely set booth. We ordered cocktails and chose from the set menu. The set menu had a good selection of options. Between us we chose the soup, seafood nage and tortellini salad to start - all delicious. For our mains we had Hake, Hanger steak and Lamb - again great flavours and well cooked. We also order a portion of chunky house fries and spinach as extra sides. For dessert we had rhubarb and custard, pear and marzipan tart and Thai fragranced rice pudding. All yummy and presented beautifully.

I found he portions perfect, but one of us felt they could have been slightly larger.

Overall, great food and good value for money.

• Visited April 2013