“Brilliant place: we eat here every time we go to Manchester”

habesha restaurant and bar
Ranked #169 of 2,325 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Habesha is one of those places that you're torn between keeping as your own secret, and shouting from the rooftops about how great it is. Well, from this proverbial rooftop, let me tell you, this is a brilliant place.

Don't be put off by the entrance up a spiral stair through a kebab shop (first time we came here we circled around a few times thinking 'this can't be the place'), once you're inside, Habesha doesn't have a great deal of frill and ceremony about it, but the main attraction – the food – is simply fantastic.

Eating brilliant injera breads, spicy rich doro wot and tasty vegetables washed down with a Ethiopian beer is a always a great experience at Habesha, and a meal for two with drinks will rarely top £20. Great food, great value and friendly staff – can't wait to go back.

2  Thank seeyoubye
There are newer reviews for habesha restaurant and bar

Reviewed August 3, 2014

I come here all the time and I love it. Ethiopian is fantastic generally but this is a great example of it, and really really good value.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I absolutely loved this restaurant. The decor might not be the most appealing, but please do not let that throw you off. Food is delicious, prices are great, and the staff are so friendly.
Accessibility to the restaurant may not be the best, but you forget about it immediately once you've entered. The menu is short and sweet, serving only the best and the most authentic Ethiopian food. The servers are extremely friendly too, and will even show you how to eat their dishes the traditional way. My boyfriend ordered the Lamb Tibs and myself the Vegetarian Platter (I'm not vegetarian but I knew this was to die for!) and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The Ethiopian beer went perfectly well with it too, especially on a warm summer's day! The waitress was so lovely to even offer us some defo dabo (Ethiopian bread) at the end of our meal. I want to go back and try all the remaining dishes on the menu!

1  Thank CDrouas
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Go and try it, but don't expect to be wined and dined. Delicious food, lovely warm atmosphere, interesting people.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

If i had not read good reviews I might have just walked past. The restaurant is upstairs next door to a takeaway.
Go upstairs and you walk into a lovely restaurant with friendly waiter who explains the food. We choose to have one veg one meat. Fabulous value great food.