“enjoyable and authentic”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
manchester, uk
“enjoyable and authentic”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We very much enjoyed our visit to Lotus. What it lacks in showy-style and sophistication, it makes up for with lovingly prepared, tasty food and helpful service.
We enjoyed our selections from the Malaysian side of the menu, including a delicious dal and parathas for a starter, along with a 'Rojak india' - a kind of warm salad of tasty tofu fritters, boiled egg, vegetables with a tangy spicy peanut sauce. For our mains, a simple grilled fillet of fish with spices and a seafood curry - 'Nasi Paprik'. We washed these down with a selection of non-alcoholic drinks chosen from an extensive list offered (and patiently and extensively explained to us on request from our waiter). Overall, if you'd like to try some authentic malaysian cuisine, in unpretentious surroundings, then this is definitely worth a visit.

• Visited April 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lotus - warm friendly family business with great food”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We visited Lotus after recently moving to Northenden. The owner served us and was very helpful and obviously passionate about the food that they serve. We had a lovely pair of starters from the Malaysian part of the menu, followed by a rice and fresh noodle dish which we shared - both served on banana leaves. The food was fantastic - starters were especially good with lovely flavours and generous portions. All in all a lovely meal - the restaurant does not take payment by credit / debit cards so just be prepared with some cash - but this in no way detracts from the food. Thanks... we will be visiting again!

• Visited April 2013
Crosby, United Kingdom
“Cook with passion”
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

For the first time visit at this place, I was here January with my Malaysian friends for celebrating Chinese New Year this year in England. I and my parents have tried many Malaysia restaurants in London Rasa Sayang was right up to our taste so far but not the great.
Many people said i must come to the Lotus but I never had the time where I lived Liverpool. I have most wonderful time at this place. I felt welcoming with the friendly owners husband and wife, staffs and the ambience. The place have one floor not that big but was many customers all table was reserved, we got the biggest table for 10 persons.
I enjoying good food as I love cooking as well picky when comes outside food. The foods and drinks here were right on my taste. We ordered about 15 dishes to tried my favourite was Mee Goreng, Curry Laksa, Nasi lemak with curry chicken, Sambal Prawn with long beans, Ayam Masak merak
H, Hainam Chicken rice and roti canai. When it comes to beverage I don't drink achohol so I've order soya cincau and T-Rex Milo ice is a strong chocolate milk cold ice and the owner wife made us a special homemade dessert Kuih Lapis really touched!
Just few Indian dishes i had was dislike the flavour was powering and contain ghee. But can tell the waiter to modify not a problem. We have wait quite long but the authentic takes time to prepared we not in the rush definitely worth waiting good food is all about passion and time. We spent 3 hours there having good time , good food , good hospitality. It was great !
Will come back again soon. Thank you Lotus. Highly recommend to my friends and family.
Jason Ong (Liverpool)

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Best Indian food in Manchester. No contest.”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Please note: I've grown up eating home cooked, real Indian food and hate the greasy, Westernised imitation that sells in curry houses up and down the country. My review will reflect this bias.

Lotus restaurant is a place of extremes and it's worthiness of a visit is dependent on what you're after. The food, simply, is divine. The best Indian food in Manchester by a country mile and, in fact, the best Indian restaurant food I've eaten in the UK. No grease, no overpowering flavours, just pure unadulterated, heavenly cuisine. If you like your food authentic and home cooked, this family-run restaurant is, unequivocally, in a league of its own. However, if it's service and atmosphere you're after, it's not the place for you. It is incredibly slow and inefficient and the restaurant itself lacks any ambience. It's so amateurish at times, it actually becomes quite charming! If you want a fancy or pretentious establishment where you pay for tiny portions on huge plates, keep walking. Having said that, the owners are so incredibly polite, warm and hospitable and the food so good it outweighs all the negatives. If you seek Indian/Malaysian food that conforms to Western tastes and stereotypes, you won't enjoy this place. If, however, you want the real deal you will fail to find better. A hidden gem in Manchester's restaurant scene.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank NSM20
“Good Malaysian food”
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Good food, but small portions. Restaurant could improve the heating in the main dining hall. Friendly owners with a personalised touch