“Quality stay in centre with no hidden extras”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #22 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I looked at hotels in Manchester to stay overnight prior to a business meeting. When Wifi costs and leisure club costs were added in to the rate offerered by cheaper hotels the Radisson became competitive with Wifi and access to pool facilties included in the price. Initial problems linking to the wifi were overcome with a call put through to their business support. Signal was weak but effective and having had my comments the front of house said they would look into improving the signal strength on my floor (9). Room was large and stylish bath room. Pool was typical of a hotel ie not huge but bigger enough for swimming up and down; good sauna and stema room. Breakfast was enjoyable and good choice of fresh fruit. I must admit I did eat out for dinner as the choice within a short walk is huge and highly competitive.
I was warned by front of house that while wifi is complimentary plugged in broadband will be charged for.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2009

Dear reviewer

We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us .

Delighted our value for money luxury without pretension has been reconised.

Thank You.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,840)

Reviewed July 22, 2009

Neither I nor my friend had stayed in a Radisson before, after this stay I will make them my first choice from now on. I loved the look of the building and the room was large and glossy. It was the staff who made the stay for us. They were helpful and witty and welcoming in all areas of the hotel. The spa staff were extra helpful.
I had an excellent price with an advance booking and this is very near most venues for the Manchester festival, a bargain.The rooms were quiet and comfortable.It was a very busy hotel but never got noisy or overwhelmed. This is a hotel that copes gracefully with all sorts and accomodates them beautifully. I had read some nit picking reviews on this site so felt I had to comment about our experience because it was so good.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2009

Dear Reviewer.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, Thank you very much for your very kind comments regarding our staff. Luxury with out pretension is very important to us.

Reviewed July 21, 2009

My wife and I stayed for four nights and enjoyed every minute .The location is great and the hotel is all you could ask for ,we feel right at home here .

1  Thank Ministry_of_Magic
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I stayed at the Radisson Edwardian for one night during a trip to the Manchester International Festival and thought I'd booked a great bargain at €95 per night at a five star hotel. It was still a reasonably good deal, consider the demand for rooms during the festival, but I would have expected a little more bang for my buck. It was fine - but I've stayed in FINE three star hotels.

I'd requested a twin room, and was given a twin room. Their website (http://www.radissonedwardian.com/hotels/gbmanche/rooms) states that EVERY room is king-sized, which would imply that there are king-sized beds in each room. This was not the case in their twin room, which was small and featured two skinny single beds that moved at the slightest touch.

I should have raised this with the reception immediately, but had to leave the hotel just after check in, so there was no time to stand and argue.

The room itself (#814) was small ish, with a comfortable plush chair (just one) and a desk chair. The tv worked, the blinds were fine (there had been reviews re bad blinds), although they didn't quite meet at one corner.

The room was cold when we arrived and ROASTING at night-time. The air-con was variable between 18 and 24 degrees C, but just seemed to blow out hot air constantly. Not pleasant. Again, something to talk to reception about, but it was check-out time by the time we were up.

The bathroom's 'dry zone' - according to the hotel website - has a walk-in wardrobe. Not so. There is minimal hanging space, and no walking-in space at all. The lighting in the dry zone was fine during day time, but with the lights on was not the greatest - not v. conducive to putting on make up / putting in contact lenses!

The wet zone of the bathroom was fine - had no problems with the shower and while I appreciate the 'green-ness' of the shower gel / shampoo holders fixed to the wall, this was quite surprising for a supposedly five-star hotel. The bathroom and bedroom seemed very clean and tidy.

The hotel's lobby / bars were fine, for the little time we spent there. The Alto bar is VERY expensive - £6.00 for a single vodka! I'm from Dublin, home of ridiculous prices, but that was very, very steep.

Concierge was grand - they have a reliable left-luggage service and offered to arrange taxis / transport. The door man at the front of the hotel was also very pleasant.

The receptionist's local knowledge could be a bit better - asked to recommend somewhere for breakfast, she said Starbucks...!!

The location is good and it was a nice, comfortable stay, but lacked that something special that real 5* hotels have.

1  Thank ESDublin
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2009

Dear Reviewer.

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review of your recent stay.. Our twin rooms are indeed king twins as quality assessed by the AA and Visit Britain. All our bedroom blinds have been replaced this year, we have checked the room in which you stayed and we can only imagine that they may of come loose from the tracking. They function well now. As the leading hotel in the City we take our sustainable responsibility's extremely seriously indeed, which is why we have chosen to provide our guest supplies in our rooms in this way, feedback tell us guests find this more hygienic.

I hope you don't mind me pointing these comments, out only we would not want future guests to be under the wrong impression of some of our facilities..

We look forward to taking you care of you again very soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2009

The hotel was everything we expected it to be and more. The staff were very polite, efficient and helpful and could not have been nicer. The rooms were well proportioned, with excellent views across the city, although Manchester isn't exactly Venice, it does have some magnificent Victorian architecture. The Opus bar had a cosmopolitan buzz about it, and a edgy ambience that only comes when the correct atmosphere has been achieved. The hotel has some eclectic ephemera dotted around the buildings, but they just seem to work well together. Vast expanses of glass coordinate the old part of the building with the new, and again it just works. A top class hotel for the business or leisure traveller. We loved it.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2009

Dear Reviewer.

Great feedback thank you so much. Your are right Manchester is not Venice.....its nicer and better value for money with just as much history and culture.....

Reviewed July 19, 2009

I have always wanted to try this hotel but the price has always put me off. Managed to get a fantastic deal though at £82.50 for the night so decided to give it a go.
Hotel is beautiful inside and the building is stunning. Room was good but no better than 4 star hotels like City Inn, Crowne Plaza or Victoria and Albert. Loved the seperate wet and dry areas of the bathroom but expected the shower to be more powerful.
Arrived early at 10.00am and as I had put this on my on-line check in a few days earlier, our room was ready for us when we got there.
All the staff were very polite and helpful, and check in and out was very quick.
We had a cocktail in the bar at night and that was fantastic. Amazing bar and the staff were brilliant.
Didn't have breakfast included in the rate so we ate at a great deli on Deansgate which was far better than the breakfasts you usually get in big hotels.
All in all an excellent stay and I would go back but only if the price was right. Normal rates seem to be about £140 and in my opinion the hotels I mentioned before are just as good and prices are usually better.

Dear Reviewer.

Thank you so much for your comments, we really are very grateful.

Stephen Miles

Reviewed July 19, 2009

This was my 2nd stay at the Radison and it reflects very much the renaiissance Manchester has experienced. Very stylish, public rooms, fabulous restaruant - do not miss dinner in Opus which whilst not cheap represents excellent value the food holding its own with many of the 'swanky' restaurants that promise so much and deliver so little.
My room on the 11th floor well appointed, modern and stylish great shower and bathroom area. Staff are well trained with the right balance of being friendly but at the same time remaining very professional. I would not hesitate to recommend the Radison to anyone. My room rate was £108.00 B&B which I thought was superb value.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer

We are very grateful that you have taken the time to complete this review regarding your recent stay.

Stephen Miles