“Exceptional hotel”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #18 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
“Exceptional hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Anyone looking for an excellent nights sleep in a clean hotel with great service should stay here. It's within walking distance of 'MEN arena and you can walk in to city centre. For me be comfortable in a hotel it has to be clean and this was kept to a high standard. The beds were the most comfortable I ever experienced and room service was great. The staff all polite and helpful and the spa was lovely. Would highly recommend

• Stayed December 2013
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for this recommendation and all of your kind comments. I am delighted you enjoyed a comfortable stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

6 Ladies. We liked the round table, hot treats, leaf tea, excellent scones, plenty to eat - only one managed the 3 sandwiches, price was very reasonable. As this is one of the top hotels in Manchester we did expect something a little special and not to have any negatives. The service was all or nothing. The table cloth was badly creased. 2 ladies asked for coffee and had to ask three times before arrived. No tea spoons with cup and saucers and had to ask for knives for the scones. Felt that the pork pie and sandwich fillings came from Sainsburys. The sandwiches had been put in the cooler and were a little dry on top. We like ambience but it was a little dark.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your constructive feedback which has been noted. I would like to reassure you and other readers that all our ingredients are of the highest quality, therefore I am sorry you were disappointed but delighted that your experience warranted your high rating.
Halifax, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Service was lovely as soon as we arrived. Very welcoming. Room very nice and modern. Had a very office feel to it but still never the less very comfortable. Great view. Found breakfast quite expensive so opted out. Would recommend.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for this feedback. For added value, inclusive breakfast rates are available on our own website.
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Stayed in the Fitzgerald suite for 2 nights. Exceptionally attentive and friendly staff. Beautiful room and in a great location right in the heart of the city centre. I would give it 6 out of 5 stars if I could. I cannot wait to come back again soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mark
I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay, thank you for your very kind comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

My problem with this hotel was that I could not get a decent night's sleep, which to me is the most basic service which a hotel should deliver, and I consequently spent a miserable and exhausted weekend in Manchester. The furnishings and décor were smart, the breakfast was good (apart from one waiter who couldn't be bothered and just ignored me), and the service standards were otherwise sort of acceptable. However, none of that mattered as I struggled to sleep.

My room did not have proper window coverings, only some kind of blind arrangement which it was not possible to fully close. I called reception who sent somebody from maintenance to look at it, and he did his best to prop up various cushions against the blinds, but there were still gaps. He told me that all the rooms had the same window coverings, that this was just the style of the hotel, and this was the best they could do to get the windows covered. However, there was still a largish gap between separate sections of the blind. When I had the light on in the bedroom, anybody in the building opposite could see me in the room. (The opposite building was an office building so hopefully there was nobody there that weekend.) In addition, external light, ie street lighting and natural light in the early morning, came into the room, which made it very difficult for me to sleep. I know that even with other window coverings there is often some light seepage, but not to the extent which I experienced in this hotel. I have never been in a hotel which had such poor light protection, and it was disappointing to find it in a hotel of this apparent quality.

I told the hotel that I had a problem with the blinds and they did send me an e-mail saying that if I stayed again they would give me a free upgrade. In other words, if I spend a lot of money staying again at a hotel in which I cannot sleep they will give me a posher room in which I still cannot sleep (nor get an appropriate level of privacy). Well, that's not a great offer to compensate for a tired and unhappy weekend. I would not consider staying here again. I could go again and wear a sleep mask, but I don't feel that I should have to wear a sleep mask in a hotel in this price range in order to compensate for the non-functional design of its rooms.

If you can sleep through a lot of light (I can't) you will be fine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Vamoose45
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear Reviewer.

We are sorry that you could not sleep.

We would not want to mis read any readers of this review but having installed a cutting edge blind system in our bedrooms recently we can assure our customers that getting a good nights sleep is of paramount importance to us. Having made considerable investment through out the hotel this year and by providing the service that surprises and delights we are delighted and proud to herald our " Hotel of The Year " accolade at the recent Manchester Tourism awards.
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

We had a one night stay in one of the Alfresco suites and what an amazing stay it was. The room was outstanding with absolutely everything you need for a truly luxurious stay. Fabulous comfortable king size bed, stunning bathroom with separate wash basin area. Covered outside seating area, large flat screen TV with internet facilities and a wide range of channels. Huge sofa with loads of cushions, coffee table, desk, coffee machine plus a kettle and range of hot drinks, bottled water, slippers and robes, desk/work area and great lighting. The spa was so clean and well maintained. Breakfast was superb with a wide selection of hot and cold items plus an extensive range of freshly prepared items. There are huge relaxation areas off the main entrance and a stunning bar and restaurant all located in the beautifully restored Free Trade Hall entrance. The staff were very friendly and welcoming with a real focus on excellent customer service. This stay was a real treat for us and although the bar prices are a little on the expensive side the service really is second to none. Will certainly be returning and trying the afternoon tea next time. There really was not anything we could fault and one of the best luxury hotels we have stayed in. Radisson at it's best and in a great location for all the city's attractions and theatres etc and we had no traffic noise at all.

Room Tip: Great city views from the top floors.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review of your recent stay. We are very proud of our heritage and restoration of The Free Trade Hall. I hope you will be able to sample our Afternoon Tea offering on your next visit.
Altrincham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

We had a great stay here with our parents to see 'Singing in the Rain' at the Opera House - so convenient, and to visit the fantastic Christmas markets. The hotel was nicely decorated for the festive season, but the best thing about this Hotel is the welcome from all the staff. We had rooms looking out towards the Town Hall clock, all fixtures and fittings of good quality, we slept really well. We went to the Spa,well maintained and relaxing.
Our only negative was our poor meal in Steak & Lobster, although breakfast was superb, both quality and service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us following your initial disappointment, thank you for all of your feedback. We are proud of our high standards which have recently been recognised as Hotel of the Year in the Manchester Tourism Awards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
The Midland
The Lowry Hotel
The Lowry Hotel
#3 of 20 in Salford
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,381 reviews

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester? Share your experiences!