“Worst nights sleep in a hotel ever!”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #22 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last night with my husband. Our booking was made through Last minute.com 5 months ago. We arrived at the hotel early as we were attending a function in the city. As expected our room wasn't ready and we left our suitcase with the concierge. We returned to the hotel at about 7pm and were checked into room 319. We were disappointed to find that it was a twin rather than a double room as booked. I rang reception who offered us free breakfasts as compensation which we accepted. It was only when we turned the TV off at about 21.30 to try and sleep - after a tiring day- that the real problem with this room was revealed. It is situated above the reception area and it is ridiculously noisy - voices echoed , phones rang , heels clipped across the floor etc. I rand to complain and the Manager and his accomplice were sent up to discuss our complaint . He assured me that nobody else had ever complained about the room being noisy - absolutely unbelievable - unless it's never been used before. He blamed Last minute for the room allocation(?). As there were no rooms available for us to transfer to I was offered ear plugs.. I declined having already tried cotton wool. I had about 1.5 hours sleep. The noise did lessen at about 4.30 the cleaners started at 7- hoovering reception. Shattered and annoyed.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rothwell40
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Thank your for taking the time to provide feedback. I am sorry you were disturbed by noise, our rooms are double glazed so this is not a recurring issue. I would like to clarify that room types booked via 3rd party web sites are on request only.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,845)

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights whilst helping at a conference . The staff were first class and very helpful the room was large, clean and very quiet. The breakfast room does not open until 7 am which is a bit late if you have to be in the conference centre next door by 7.30am (no time to enjoy the excellent breakfast at leisure), so had to wait to get in on the first day and on the second day went at 7.30 and had to queue to get in again (this time spent more time in the queue than eating breakfast!). The hotel is modern and I liked the idea of having a wet room shower (getting older so get a bit worried about claiming over the side of a bath to get a shower) however did not like that this meant the wash hand basin was outside the bathroom, which contained the toilet, so ended up having to wash hands over the bath. Even with temp in room set at 18 (lowest setting) the room was still too warm for me, but could not use the fan because it was so noisy. This Hotel is very well situated for local restaurants and shops and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for this detailed review. I am sorry you were unable to sample our breakfast although we do offer room service or Breakfast On The Go. I am pleased to read that you would choose to return and hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I have stayed here so many times since it opened, and I have always had an excellent experience. Recently, probably due to popularity, it has become so difficult to get a reservation with short notice.

I am a member of Club Carlson, but unfortunately this holds no sway. I have had to try the Lowry as an alternative, and for the same money I have found it as good if not better, except for the lack of a pool. However, breakfast so much better at the Lowry!

I would go back to the radisson, however I am now torn between which hotel I contact first!

Room Tip: Alfresco suites are really good especially if chilling out with friends.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your compliments following your recent visits. I do hope you will have the opportunity to return soon, particularly as we have recenlty been recognised with a national award for our breakfast standard.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed here for one night and you could tell the quality from the minute you walk through the door! The staff on reception were extremely courteous and helpful and happy to assist with any queries. The room was a decent size and the amenities were modern. The hotel is in a great location for central Manchester and I will definitely be coming back again in the future. The staff even put a by nice birthday cake gesture in the room!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

I am pleased you enjoyed your birthday with us, thank you for all of your compliments on our service, location and product. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

The staff at the Radisson Manchester are sometimes forgot-on regards the effort it takes to deliver 5 Star Customer Service , even myself a regular visitor into top end Hotels take for granted the simple fact of experiencing a great stay encompasses minute detailed management.

I will not drone on about reception welcome , concierge helpfulness , rooms space , fittings standard , breakfast choice , extras , cocktail bar atmosphere etc.

I will keep short and say in my own opinion for what its worth the Radisson Manchester Team never fail to deliver a truly first class experience for myself & business colleges or when she is lucky enough my partner ha ! I have recommended this particular Hotel to many friends which is a risk rarity for me , but been rewarded by feedback that has never been a disappointment.

Please keep up the 5 Start standards as many other facilities boast First Class Service but rarely deliver I'm sad to say , many thanks for my recent stay in November & look forward to December Visit with Christmas Market on my door step as added bonus!!

Special Mention to Stefan Rae for arranging my close friends recent Birthday Celebrations were memorable to say the very least . Big Thanks you.

Room Tip: Always were possible secure a City View Room , be cheeky ask for a free upgrade if possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for this excellent review. We are very proud of our five star offering so really appreciate all of your kind comments. Thank you too for your recommendation which is important to us.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

This is a nice enough hotel with a modern spa area, bar & restaurant. I stayed here alone for the weekend & found the staff lacking from start to finish. No door staff to greet me as I arrived which may well just have been a timing thing. Check in was fairly speedy but at no stage was I asked if I required a morning newspaper or restaurant reservations even though when I enquired I was informed that the restaurants get very busy over the weekend so it was advisable to book!
At no stage during or following check in did anyone offer to take my luggage to the room and I was handed a room key without explanation as to where my room was located. All of the fore mentioned is standard practice from my experience.
I popped to the bar later and the impersonal service that was becoming apparent throughout this hotel continued. Staff tend to avoid eye contact & at one stage 3 of them fiddled around yet failed to assist me or ask if I wanted a drink which was very strange given that I was almost the only guest in the bar area! All in all this was a functional hotel but if you want to be treated well and looked after then I would avoid. I certainly found the northern charm lacking at this particular venue.

Room Tip: I paid £40 to upgrade to business class to guarantee a king size bed. Small but functional room
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank UAEDW
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Rentchecks

We are very disappointed that the arrival and subsequent observation of lack of eye contact did not meet your expectations. As Manchester's Hotel of the Year we have always prided ourselves in our friendliness and warmth. Our mantra of "Luxury Without Pretension" is very important to us as our high ranking on Trip Advisor shows.
Please accept my apologies for the shortfalls in our normal award winning standards.

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

The cost was £189 for a Saturday and I have stayed in better Travel Lodge. Not 5 star. No hair dryer. Queues for lifts, breakfast and check out - clearly too many rooms for facilities. Dirty breakfast table after long wait and black hairs on tea cup and napkin kind of ruins your appetite! Stay at Marriott Victoria Albert instead.

• Stayed: November 2013
6  Thank SusanJTaylor

Dear Susan
We were very concerned to read your review particularly having just been re-accredited the Gold Award 5 Star and Breakfast Award. As Manchester's Hotel of the Year we pride ourselves in our acclaimed levels of service. Please be assured that this is not our normal standard.
Our 3 lifts are in fact state of the art Euro Lifts with speed efficiency you would expect from a new building such as ours.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon