“very good place to stay”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #17 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Israel
“very good place to stay”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We were here for 2 days , in a room with a view to the street on 14 floor. The view of the city is amazing. Beautiful.
The room was very specious, modern, very clean. Bathroom has both shower and bath .
The bad is large, comfortable, very good quality of the linens.
Free wi-fi is good.
The staff was very helpful.
The location of the hotel is very good, in the center, it was a walking distance to every interest point in the city. Almost no need for public transportation. (Although, it is close to the hotel, if you do not wish to walk).

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments on our location and service, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
colne
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a romantic night, great location, staff very helpful, and after booking with Late Rooms good value for money, when we return to Manchester this will be the place of choice, my only niggle was that after booking a deluxe king, at check in I was asked to upgrade to a better room, and was made to feel the room I had booked was inadequate. But overall great hotel!

• Stayed August 2013
I am pleased you enjoyed your romantic break, thank you for your feedback. Although our deluxe rooms are large and comfortable we like to offer our guests the option of a suite to further enchance the experience.
Wirral
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Really enjoyed staying here, could not fault it. Good location, handy for shops which are a short walk away. Room was great, clean, quiet and comfortable. Ate in the restaurant and the food was very good. It was quite busy but the waiter found us a quiet spot. Went in the bar afterwards and again it was busy but we sat at the bar and watched the match. The main bar is probably not suited for a romantic night but the bar within the restaurant is. This is a high standard hotel, very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear BeanBag2013,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your time with us at the Free Trade Hall. We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel en route back to Dubai and I must say I am underwhelmed slightly.

Having read previous reviews, I was anticipating a warm welcome, maybe a welcome free drink but the most effusive of all the staff was Paul, the concierge who was fantastic and helped us with our mountain of luggage and showed us to our room. We had to wait 10-15 minutes to even be greeted at reception, no drinks were offered but I did notice a lemon drinks machine on reception, it would have been nice if someone had pointed this out to us whilst we had been waiting! When the man on reception saw we hadn't booked direct with the hotel, I was told 'I have no record of the roll away bed in the room you have requested for your son, can you let me know if its not there when you go up?' Errrr... 5 star service? Surely that should have been checked prior to our arrival?

We were booked into an Alfresco Suite on the 6th floor, this was a large suite and the facilities were fine, no view at all but the side of the floor we were put on seemed to be the side set for families, we were put next to the most noisiest family in the world and they woke my husband and I up at 1am on our first night banging the doors and shouting, I would have complained but luckily my 4 year old son slept through, we have also had some noisy neighbours who sat out on their outside terrace below and decided to have a very loud party with other guests, enough for us to hear through our doors, not the type of clientele I would expect at this hotel, not the hotels fault per se but definitely more soundproofing required.

Cleaning - this was farcical, the first morning we were here we had some drinks out of the mini bar and used the glasses, by 4.30pm the next day they had still not been removed. The turn down service on the 1st night was just that, a turn down of the beds, no glasses were removed,towels replaced or any cleaning done. We left the hotel the 2nd day of our stay at 10am, I put on the cleaning sign and returned at 4.30pm, still nothing. I rang down and complained, the lady apologised and was told the change over was happening at 5pm and to expect someone then, we came back from the spa and within 5-10 mins, we had 5 knocks on the door, the cleaner, the cleaner then came back with the towels, another chap with a bottle of water, the turn down service (the room had only just been cleaned so I said no) and then a lady knocked on and told me to turn the service sign off within the room though it had been on since 10am! She said the cleaning team were 'stretched' that day as I showed my displeasure with all the interruptions and I pointed out we had been out all day, plenty of time to clean the room!

Food - we only had breakfast once at Alto as the restaurant was freezing and my little boy kept his jacket on throughout the breakfast, the girls were pleasant enough but we kept with the continental breakfast, it was OK and what one would expect. I also ordered room service which was good and came in a timely manner.

In summary, underwhelmed, not the effusive welcome I had expected and very noisy clientele which is not great when travelling with a young child and an early plane to catch.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a view of Manchester!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the shortfalls in service you received during your recent visit. Please feel free to contact me directly to allow me to offer my apologies in person.

Sincere Regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Second time I have stayed here & I cannot wait to go back. Room was spotless. Bed & lounge chair were SO comfortable. Service stood out, from housekeeping to customer services, breakfast staff & concierge services - cannot say how refreshing this was. Drinks on our last night in Opus One were wonderful.

Don't change a thing!

Dear Marysj,

Thank you for your excellent review of the hotel, staff and our facilities.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel as we had a rare child-free evening! I checked in at 2.30pm when reception was quite busy. Nevertheless, check in was extremely simple and all staff were very friendly and courteous.
Our room was a king deluxe, only on the second floor, but the view was still great, looking out to Manchester Central (the G-Mex). Rooms are light and comfortable with lovely furnishings. The only gripe I have about the room was that a picture had been removed from the wall and there were two gaping holes and the corner of the bathroom was slightly mouldy.
We ate out of the hotel both for evening dinner and breakfast but we did go to the bar Opus One, it was quite early (9.30-10pm ish) and the bar was quite empty however, staff were very helpful and friendly. We were given complimentary drinks and a free movie as a token for our stay which was very kind and much appreciated.
All in all a great night's stay.

Dear MrsHallam79,

Thank you for your review of the hotel - I am happy that you enjoyed your stay.

Please accept my apologies regarding the missing picture and bathroom - I will have both issues corrected immediately

Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights whilst in Manchester on a Cricket tour. Check in was very easy, I was early but a room was available for me. The Hotel is located in Peter Street in the old Free Trade Hall and just a 100 yard walk to the Metrolink tram station in St Peters Square, a great way to get around Manchester and too/from Old Trafford. The room was on the 8th floor and looked out towards the Town Hall and the other wing of the hotel, it had a full wall of windows, floor to ceiling which let in a lot of light but posed its own problem in that for privacy you had to keep the blinds closed or part closed at all times particularly if it was evening and you were using the bathroom. I initially thought the air conditioning wasn't working ( it had been very hot in England) but it was just that it hadn't been on for long enough to cool the room down. The room was a reasonable size but apart from a small wardrobe and three very small drawers had nowhere to store anything so I had to live out of my suitcase for the 6 days I was there. The bed was comfortable, lighting adequate, a work desk with power points, a great bathroom with a walk in shower, a separate bath, hand basin and toilet in separate areas, a heated towel rail (great feature, warm towels in the morning and/or drying items overnight). Lifts are key card controlled for security, free Wi-Fi provided in all rooms plus the lobby and an ice machine located next to the lifts. Breakfast was good served in Alto, buffet and/or A la Carte, good choices, good service, great coffee and very busy from 7:30 to 8:30.
I also had dinner in Alto Steak & Lobster at 15 pounds one night, I chose the steamed lobster, it was very small, with fries and a salad served in ramekins, ok, but I certainly did not go back. The one issue I had was early one morning (around 4am) room doors were being opened and closed in rapid order for around 15 to 20 minutes, this may not sound too bad but the doors in this hotel are fitted with self closing springs on them and make a very loud click when closing.This is a security feature I know as I found it was impossible to leave the door open or just ajar. I found it very difficult to get back to sleep afterwards but luckily it only happened on the one morning.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Manchester Town Centre, it is comfortable but not pretentious and the staff are welcoming and efficient.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Johnthepom0001,

Thank you for such a detailed review of the hotel - I am delighted to hear that your time in Manchester was enjoyable and that the hotel product and service was to your liking.

Warm Regards