“Afternoon tea - poor service”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #20 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Took my daughter and niece out as a special treat. When we arrived no one greeted us for 10 minutes then we were told to take a seat for a further 10 minutes. We finally got our table and sat down. We ordered 2 gentleman's and one traditional afternoon tea - food excellent - apart from sandwiches which were a little stale.
We ordered English breakfast tea which was very week so had to ask for another tea bag in the pot (there was only one bag to start with in one large teapot!). We asked for a jug of water which never arrived.
The bill took another 20 minutes - which was wrong as we ordered a special offer!!
Overall can't fault the food but service was a huge let down :-(

• Stayed: May 2013
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your constructive feedback. I would like to apologise for the poor service you received, please be assured this is not our normal standard. I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed here for one night and we had a great night. We made use of the pool and spa which was really clean and relaxing, we would have used the gym if we had gym clothes with us. The hotel is in a great spot with loads of resteraunts and shops. We stayed here as we were goin to see beyonce at the MEN arena. So it was close to there. The parking was £18 for 24 hours at a car park the hotel uses just around the corner. We also bumped into some man united players outside the hotel! Great spot, great services and staff. The hotel is top.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, thank your for your comments on our location and product.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Visited the hotel for business. Impressed with staff especially in the reception area, going beyond very helpful - impressed. Lifts are super quick and the hotel is super clean. Food was fresh and OK. Very close to the St Peters tram stop and very well located for Manchester city centre.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, thank you for this feedback.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I feel that I should start by saying that I rarely use review websites & that I regularly stay in Radisson hotels across the UK.

On the 5th April I made a booking via the Radisson website for 2 nights in the Edwardian in Manchester. This was done via advanced purchase & all card & contact details were registered.

A week before we were due to arrive I called the hotel to check that everything was OK with the booking & I was assured it was.

On the 25th April myself & my fiancé arrived at the hotel. We were informed we were a little early to check in so we went to the hotel bar to have a drink & wait.

When we went to check in we were informed that the booking hadn’t been secured & that unless we paid cash there & then we couldn’t have access to a room. I explained that I had made an advanced purchase & showed the email confirmation to the manager. The manager said that without a bank statement this wasn’t proof that I had paid for the booking. This conversation was held in reception, in front of other guests & left me very embarrassed. The manager said there was nothing he could do. He could provide any explanation as to why the booking hadn’t gone through & said that the email confirmation wasn’t proof!

Based on the manager’s attitude I decided to cut my losses & left the hotel. I checked into the Hilton which was amazing at such short notice! I have written to the hotel with my complaint but surprise, surprise I have yet to receive a response!

Manchester is an amazing city, but my advice… stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SMNHKLAL

We do recall your details and to re-iterate our Front of House Manager, we do not issue rooms without some form of payment guarantee. As your reservation had not been pre-paid a card or cash payment was requested. This is a procedure which is in place in all major hotel chains. To date we have no record of the letter you sent, however if you would be kind enough to re-send it or contact me directly I will be happy to respond personally.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I visited the newly re-vamped Sienna Spa yesterday with my friend for a girly catch up. I have been to this particular Spa a few times previously and always been impressed with the treatments and facilities. However I was amazed with the new look makeover, it is spacious, clean, modern but still in keeping with a warming relaxed feel you would expect within a 5* hotel.

The staff in the spa are fantasic, they are friendly, approachable and know their stuff! Upon arriving my friend and I were given, gowns, slippers, towels and a locker. Having changed, my friend and I went to the relaxation room whilst we waited for a new treatment that the Spa offers, a Rasul. This was a lovely and relaxing treatment and I came out feeling fresh and invigorated. We then chose to have a Jacuzzi followed by a Sauna (I wanted to dry off before my next treatment!). I then went for a Pedicure with Stacey. This was fab and just what my feet needed, the choice of colours for nails too is vast. The attention to detail and finishing the Pedicure was excellent.

All throughout my afternoon, the staff were attentive but still allowing myself and my friend to chill and unwind and not feel bogged down. I would highly recommend a visit to the Sienna Spa if ever in Manchester, or if like me live there and just fancy a treat for a girly day or even your partner..........the new couples room is gorgeous!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank louisehale11

I was delighted to read your review of Sienna Spa which as you mention has undergone a major enhancement. I am pleased you enjoyed your treatments and hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Spent 3 nights in Manchester, in town for a United match.

Good place to base in Manchester for a game, and not far from a few pretty good restaurants (San Carlo), too. Not a bad value, notwithstanding USD/GBP exchange rate.

Concierge team is very helpful and quite nice.

Rooms are a bit dated, but you are in Manchester (not London)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments on our loaction. I was concerned to read that you found the room dated as we have invested heavily in maintaining and upgrading our product, however I realise that all tastes to differ

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed here at the weekend with my daughter, great room on the 14th floor with some amazing views of the city.
We felt extremely welcome and looked after at all time during our visit. I have to say the concierge service in this hotel is exceptional. They are attentive and will attend to you're every need, booking a great restaurant for dinner :-)
Room was excellent with free wifi, free movies (although dont think thats standard).
Breakfast was very good..only comment here is there were only scrambled eggs on the buffet therefore, maybe they should have an egg station rather than having to order them to arrive later.
Bar was lovely and bar staff were very professional and attentive.

The spa however has newly been refurbished and that is really the only area where I could find fault. You feel that this has been rushed and not much thought has gone into logistics.

These are constructive criticisms:

Ladies changing room only has one small stand alone mirror to use at the dressing area for hair and make up. (three stools but one mirror not really practical) there is plenty of space to have a full backdrop of mirrored tiles.
The showers are amazing...probably the most powerful shower I have ever experienced, however on entering the shower there is not one hook in sight to hang towels and robes, we ended up hanging them over the door :-(
I then proceeded to look for the toilet in the corridor on the way out...3 or 4 doors but not one has a sign on it, so its a process of elimination.
On a personal note I think the over sized mirror as you walk in is a great idea lent against the wall, however this is normally done in a large room with high ceilings, not in such a small space where the mirror itself looks like its been bought by mistake as its much taller than the room itself so it look like its been just wedged in....

All in all I would defiantly come back to this hotel again, would just hope that they have some biscuits to take with our tea in the room. None were complementary in the room and when calling room service we were told there was not one biscuit in the hotel, not even a piece of cake !!!

I hope you all realise that our stay was excellent, just constructive criticism for the hotel staff to take on board.....The staff in every area were exceptional :-)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for this detailed review and for all of your very kind comments on our service and staff members. Sienna Spa has recently undergone a major refurbishment and we are still in the process of completing some of the finer details.