“What's not to love?”

Ranked #18 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“What's not to love?”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Just returned to the US after a magnificent 10-day stay at this grand property, located in the heart of Manchester. The hotel is housed on the site of the Peterloo Massacre that took place almost 200 years ago. Manchester's heritage as the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution is highlighted everywhere you turn, especially in the nearby Museum of Science and Industry and the People's History Museum (my favorite). I spent my vacation enjoying several cities in the North of England, and made day trips to York, Blackpool, and Liverpool (and I even took a jaunt on the high-speed train down to London and back), but came "home" to the Radisson every evening. Its proximity to the main rail station (Manchester Piccadilly) made for easy travel; to get to the station, I would enjoy a colorful 15-minute walk through the Gay Village or else hop in a taxi, which cost around five pounds.

The Radisson Blu Edwardian is my kind of hotel; very plush and modern with the newest technology (indeed, the TV messaging system is so new it still has a few kinks to be worked out, but new is still good.) My King Deluxe Room with a City View was just that: a luxurious accommodation on the top floor, with a killer view of Manchester's Town Hall and the city center. On a clear day, I could easily see the Pennines to the north and east. The room was spacious with an extraordinarily comfy king-size bed. The bath, shower, and vanity areas were all stunning and there was plenty of storage space for my clothing.

I ate breakfast in the restaurant every day and the buffet was generally good, although the food was sometimes lukewarm. The hotel was in the process of renovating its usual breakfast spot, so guests were directed to temporary quarters. I had to ask for coffee refills almost every day, but I figured that the servers were stressed out because they weren't used to the room.

The hotel's fitness center is near the spa and swimming pool in the lower level. I worked out almost every morning and found the gym to be equipped with everything I needed.

There were very few problems with my room, but if anything went awry, it was dealt with promptly. Gary, Louisa, and Chantel were especially helpful during my stay, but everyone I encountered truly made me feel at home. Congratulations to Mr. Stefan Rae and his staff for a job well done. I look forward to a return visit!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank chitowncpa
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review and for all of your very kind comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Bilbao
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Last year I stayed at the Heathrow Edwardian and was bowled over by the customer service so when I planned a night out in Manchester I chose the Radisson Blu Edwardian and found that in spite of being absorbed into the Radisson Blu group the service and welcome was as warm and caring as at Heathrow. Excellent!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Harrogatedazza
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for your kind words on both our Heathrow and Manchester hotels. We have indeed joined the Radisson Blu group however Edwardian still remains a privatley owned group within the network and all levels of service and product remain the same. We hope that you will will join us again soon
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have stayed here a few times each of which have been great although I do wish they would upgrade the TV's! :)

The historic building is fabulous and everything during my stay was great although as a loyal Club Carlson member I have never received a free upgrade at this hotel even when it seems rather quiet.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Dave27UK
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Free Trade Hall hotel. We have recently upgraded the TV's in all 263 of our guest bedrooms to Samsung LED Smart TV sets. We look forward to welcoming you back soon
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Stayed one night on business and enjoyed the stay. Quiet room (as far as that is possible in Manchester) The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in and pillows just right. Breakfast was fine, although we were up early and the food was just lukewarm, I expect this would be better after 7.30am when more people are dining. Staff helpful and polite, would definitely stay again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank joy14607
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for your kind words on our Free Trade Hall hotel and the comfort you felt in our rooms.
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I live just outside Manchester and know the city well. My girlfriend and I chose this hotel for a celebration wanting to treat ourselves to a little bit of luxury. And that is exactly what we got. The hotel is perfectly situated, at the heart of the city, close to shops, theatres, restaurants and transport links. It makes good use of the facade of the historic Free Trade Hall for its entrance and lobby. Every member of staff we encountered was cheerful, friendly, polite and helpful throughout our stay. The room was a Deluxe City View room, and again, it did not disappoint, with a panoramic view from the 12th floor of the splendid gothic town hall and the city skyline. The rooms are furnished in a modern style, making good use of dark wood, steel and glass. They are stylish and comfortable. There are so many small details which make the hotel stand out from the crowd and added to the enjoyment of the stay. We ate in the Opus One restaurant in the evening and were not disappointed. We found the decor and the 'red' lighting to be pleasant and it added to the convivial atmosphere (brighter lighting would be more effective at breakfast time though). A minor gripe is that we were seated a little too close to neigbouring diners for comfort, but it did not spoil our evening and the food was excellent. Our steaks and accompanying side dishes were cooked to perfection and the serving of soups and chips in miniature pans was a nice touch. Because the more informal Alto restaurant was being refurbished the menu was a mixture of both restaurants' offerings. Because of this the Manchester Trio of desserts was missing from the menu, to my girlfriends disappointment. I asked our waiter if this could still be provided and she went away to ask the chef. I offered to pay any extra cost. The answer was that it could be provided, and we were both really pleased. It's so nice to receive genuinely good service, and small kindnesses like that can make all the difference to your enjoyment. We were not charged extra for it either. It's a good example of the way everyone seems to go out of their way to be helpful and assist you to enjoy your stay. I was happy to pay the service charges, because the service was excellent. It was a thoroughly memorable and enjoyable experience staying at the Radisson Blu Edwardian, and I will return at the merest hint of an excuse.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank David_Bolton_Lancs
Thank you for taking the time to write such an detailed review of our hotel, OpusOne restaurant and the surrounding area - we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future
Birmingham
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We booked a studio suite, and I must say this room had the biggest bed we have ever seen!! The furniture was modern and stylish, with a nice bathroom area. The staff were professional and polite. Having complimentary wifi in the hotel is a nice touch.

Would have got 5 stars if it had parking, but there was an NCP car park within walking distance which cost £18 for 24hours, so not too bad.

Room Tip: Studio suite is very spacious and came with a couch and chair, as well as a coffee table and desk.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
StephenMiles, Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for your review of our popular Junior Studio Suites, our super king sized beds are certainly proving popular with our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed September 1, 2012

European hotels are known to be small and have limited facilities but this is not the case for the Royal Edwardian. The hotel is set in an aged building but the interior has a modern touch. The most important quality of a hotel is to look clean and new to every guest and this place gives you that feeling.

The love factor:
1. The hotel has a pool and sauna. It's a nice place to relax after a long day traveling or just to keep warm from the unrelentless rain.
2. It's always location, location, location. 5 minutes walk to Canal street or most of the major shopping malls. You could walk from the train station as well if you want to save a few quid.

Things we just won't miss:
1. We can't comment on the breakfast as it isn't part of the package but we get daily reminders on the Telly before we could watch anything so that is a pain.

Good tip: yeah yeah, no breakfast but Katsouris deli is a delightful place for breakie! It's only a 5 minute walk away.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your time with us here at the Free Trade Hall, I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will certainly look into the breakfast messages sent to the televisions for you. Best Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
The Midland
#42 of 116 in Manchester
The Lowry Hotel
The Lowry Hotel
#3 of 20 in Salford

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester? Share your experiences!