“Great weekend venue”

Ranked #18 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
York
“Great weekend venue”
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Great junior suite - well appointed, quiet, free wifi.

Breakfast was excellent and cool, but expensive, bar. Would stay again and would eat in next time.

Hotel is in a fabulous location. Used the Spa which was a 3.5/5. The pool had a leak when we were there - but overall the spa was simply OK.

• Stayed June 2011
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Thank you for this feedback. The issue with the pool was an isolated incident so you will be able to enjoy the full facility when you return. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
London
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I usually like staying here, and have done so for years, but tonight I had my worst hotel dinner in 5 years.

The level of service in the restaurant is sloppy, complacent and unprofessional; I had suffered that at breakfast in the past, but what happened tonight was on a different scale. It has made me reconsider staying here ever again, despite the fact that I really enjoy staying here (restaurant excepted).

I arrived on Sunday afternoon to see only one member of staff on duty. Nothing mentioned about the main restaurant being closed.

I went to the other restaurant – Alto – which has around 80 covers – and there were barely 10 diners. My starter did not arrive, but an unordered glass of wine did. My main course arrived – and I was made to feel it was my fault that they had forgotten the starter. No bread had arrived either. I was told that the starter would arrive in 5 minutes; it took 15. I was offered a free glass of champagne – in a manner that suggested a bribe. The starter eventually arrived with bullet hard peas. The main course, a further 20 minutes later, was served with the reheated asparagus that had been served up by now 40 minutes earlier. I raised this, yet no apology was offered. Despite my having explained clearly to the manager by this point on several occasions what was wrong, and why I was unhappy, unbelievably, the bill came with a service charge added and a space for a gratuity! I refused to pay it – but what sort of professional would have thought it appropriate to put on the bill? The offer of a free meal in the restaurant the next night was, in the circumstances, laughable. Needless to say, there was no one at reception by this point (21:40).

I am booked in to stay here on several more occasions this month and next, but wonder now if it is worth cancelling.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank JKHR
Dear Reviewer.

Thank you for taking the time to speak to our Restaurant Manager and Chef regarding your feedback about your meal last night. As I am sure you can see from our reviews this is indeed not our normal standard and we can only apologise again that you did not enjoy your experience in Alto.
We are very proud of our two restaurant offerings and would ask you to reconsider your view by dining with us again while you are here.
Please contact me directly and I will personally make the arrangements to your complete satisfaction.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2011

A lovely clean, modern hotel, with great rooms and excellent staff. Without exception, every staff member, from the concierge when we arrived, through reception, housemaids, restaurant and bar staff through to the concierge when we left was smiling, helpful and chatty; nothing was too much trouble. A special mention must go to Laura, a waitress in the Opus Restaurant, who was the best waitress we have ever come across. She obviously loves her job and her customer service skills were excellent, making my birthday meal (which I only mentioned in passing - and she proceeded to provide an extra treat from the kitchen for) extra special. The restaurant was busy, with a great atmosphere and excellent food. Next time we stay, we will try the spa and pool as we didn't have enough time during this stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very kind comments about our team members. I am pleased you enjoyed your birthday celebration.
Cambridge
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Stayed at the Radisson Edwardian in Manchester whilst on a business trip to the Manchester Central Conference Centre. The location of the hotel was ideal only being 200yds away (important in Manchester as it rains frequently!).
The hotel itself was excellent with comfortable rooms and quality amenities. The staff were incredibly friendly and always willing to help.
Based on my experience, travellers would struggle to find a better hotel in Manchester.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank BobDong
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
I am pleased you had a comfortable stay and would like to thank you for all of your comments.
stoke
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Originally booked in the hotel for two nights with my partner. Had a fantastic time, the hotel was spotless and staff are very friendly nothing is too much trouble and they go that extra mile for the guests. Highly recommended to the point that we stayed an extra night. Thank you to ben stokes for making us so welcome. Can't wait to come back at the end of July.

• Stayed June 2011
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
Thank you for this great feedback and very kind comments about our team. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We booked and stayed for two nights the evening following our wedding in one of the Al-fresco suite. The bed was not fully made with the bed spread/throw was just folded and placed on the chair along with the large cushions also just placed at the bottom of the bed. The slide doors to the veranda were faulty we had to call someone up 3 times to open & close we were then told that it was broken and that we would be transferred in the morning.

We had already planned our stay and the following morning were informed that the swimming pool was under maintenance and the pool at The Midland was available. We continued with our plans and at 6.30pm went down to go the the swimming pool and were told that the pool at The Midland was now closed. No one had informed us of this on reception when we had queried use of the pool.

The website states that there is in-room entertainment including DVD, CD player etc but in fact we had to ask for this and then maintenance came up and placed the items in the room. The housekeeping lady buzzed the door even though the do not disturb sign had been switched on, she then knocked and entered even though we shouted for her to wait and we still asked her to wait but she continued to walk into the room and then apologised and waited outside.

We were not provided with enough sugar or coffee and continuously had to ask for this to be brought up.

The concierge service was brilliant, the staff were polite and welcoming when approached and were happy to help. Just shame we had to keep contacting then for what should have been provided as standard.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MrsMahmood19
Firstly I would like to apologise that you were not escorted to your room, we offer a turn-down service which would explain the bed throw and cushions. This should have been pointed out to you along with instructions for opening the patio door. Thank you for bringing to our attention the error on the web site which has since been corrected although ipod docking stations are provided in every room. The temporary fault with the swimming pool was completely out of our control and was restored to full use as quickly as possible. I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and thank you for all of your feedback.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2011

unfortunately for me i had booked this hotel through a booking agent, on arrival at the hotel the receptionist had no booking logged on the system for me, i had to then provide information about my booking and i emailed the information to a member of the admin staff. at that point after the initial embarrassment i thought my booking had been rectified and got on with enjoying my break.
i enjoyed an excellent spa treatment and with help with directions from the lovely gentleman who worked in the reception area i enjoyed some sightseeing around the city. my room was comfortable apart form the fact i had booked a double room and had to make do with a twin as there were no doubles available, but that was a small niggle. the housekeeping was immaculate.
my checkout was such an awful experience, bearing in mind what had happened during my check in i thought it would all run smoothly. no! the information that i had passed on during my check in had not been acted up on and i was proceeded to be charged again. once again i had to provide proof of my booking and proof that my bank had been debited the amount from the agent. i emailed both of these onto a member of admin staff who once again was going to investigate. you can imagine the disappointment and also the huge embarrassment i felt at this time. i was informed that if the information i provided was correct then i would receive a refund for the second payment. i was that upset at this point i caught the very first train back home. i have now received an email informing me that i have now received a full refund for the second payment of the room.
i will never stay at this hotel again. my stay in manchester has been thoroughly spoiled.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Jo M
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review, I was most concerned to read your comments. As we are unable to identify your stay I would be grateful if you could contact me so that I may personally discuss this with you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
The Midland
The Lowry Hotel
The Lowry Hotel
#3 of 20 in Salford
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,424 reviews

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester? Share your experiences!