“Did the job pretty well”
Review of Hatter's Hostel

Hatter's Hostel
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Me and a friend stayed at Hatter's for one night mid-November last year. Overall the hostel was good and we were both happy with the value. The hostel was easy to find and easily within walking distance from the Piccadilly station, as well as a lot the places we wanted to visit. We were too early to get our room keys, but the staff checked us in and gave us some excellent tips on what to do, which was really good since we only had two days to explore the city. There was a separate locked room, where we were allowed to leave our backpacks - basically a cloak room for bags. The communal area was nice and spacious, with free toast and tea/coffee, that we definitely took advantage of!

We stayed in a big dorm, which was very basic, but clean. The mattress was quite comfortable, but the duvet a bit thin, as the window next to my bed was open the whole night and the weather was definitely not warm. The open window also resulted in some noise and light from the street, but I still slept pretty well. Toilets were quite spacious but cold, quite well maintained as well. A few hooks for hanging your toiletries would be welcome. We didn't shower so can't comment on that. There were lockers downstairs, but I think they might have not been free?

Overall, not the most luxurious experience, but you get what you pay for - in a good way!

Room Tip: Have warm sleeping clothes, especially if you're staying during the winter - windows open and ta...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Hatters M, Manager at Hatter's Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Hi guys, and thanks for the review!

We admit that like all places during the winter in the UK it can get a little (!) cold, but if you ask us for extra duvets or even a portable heater we are happy to help you out with that :)

If you are using our lockers then you can either bring your own padlock and use them for free, or rent one from us for a £2 charge.

We hope to see you again, November is too long ago ;)

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Great location! Friendly staff, but all the windows are open, all the time, so it's pretty cold everywhere! even in the shower room..... and the water in the shower is either really cold or reaaaaally hot But other than that it was a nice place, the room was big, and the beds were good. :-)

OH and ... NO WIFI. I thought it said free wifi, but thats only downstairs.. and i stayed on the 5th floor.. no elevator..

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Our wi-fi is not available in rooms as we like to keep things social, but you can use it in either the ground floor common room, or the first floor TV lounge, which are open 24/7.

We often keep the windows open after doing housekeeping to air out the rooms, as they can get stuffy (especially the 18 bed dorm). But if you just ask us we can close them, or you can close them yourself, we don't mind :)

Reviewed May 17, 2014

One of the best hostels I have stayed at in the uk. Very social atmosphere and very friendly staff. The staff, especially Pablo always do great activities throughout the week and on weekends such as food nights, games nights, movie nights and pub crawls. I highly recommend this hostel to any travellers who are up for a good time with friendly people.

• Stayed: April 2014

Phew, thank you so much! We've had a bit of a series of unfortunate reviews so we're glad things are back to normal!!!

We run our activities every night, and they're all free and lots of fun :) We are all travelers and try to provide you with the kind of hostel enjoyment that we would like to experience ourselves, so we've very happy this came across :)

See you next time!

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I was staying with a group of friends on a weekend trip away at this hostel recently. First impressions were ok. Location close to city centre and the north Quater. Rooms were basic, we had an 8 person dorm. I think the room we had contained 2 powerpoints maybe. Harldy great. Things only got worse later at night. I came in around midnight to go to sleep. The people in the room next to us were ridiculously loud. Constantly banging on doors, screaming, and just generally making a racket. Even with earplugs, the noise was unbearbale. I don't think the staff did anything to quieten them down. And at 5am, someone set off the fire alarm. In total, i may have got around 2 hours sleep. And in the morning when I got up to use the bathroom, the floors were covered in water, and no toilet paper. Male/Female toilets are also on alternating floors, so I had to go down 3 flights of stairs to use the toilet. In the morning I booked a cheap hotel and checked out, only to be told be reception there was no refund for unused nights. I didn't really care as I was too tired to even bother arguing. Needless to say I would never stay at this hostel again.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

We're really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience here with us at Hatters.

We have toilets on every floor - females on the second and fourth, and males on the first, third and fifth - so I apologise if you were misinformed, you should only ever have to go down or up about 10 steps to reach your closest bathroom!

Regarding noisy neighbours: I think everyone has experienced the tragic annoyance of being the only sober person in a room full of drunks - our night staff work from 11pm until 7:30am and, while most of our guests are respectful, I think this closely resembles that situation! I therefore trust that they did everything they could to quieten them down, but I'm sorry this didn't come across to our other guests.

The guests who set off the fire alarm were fined accordingly and I think it's safe to say that the weekend you stayed was a fair bit more mental that what we usually experience!

We truly apologise for what happened and wish you the calmest of future experiences!

Reviewed May 10, 2014

I stayed in a mixed dormitory (16 beds). The only real issue I had was I came back in the evening someone was passed out on my bed. When I informed security they seemed pretty coy about it and told me to take a different bed even though beds were supposedly assigned. The person sleeping there didn't appear to be a guest as he was fully clothed and had no luggage. I later recognized him as staff or perhaps a friend of staff as he was very comfortable and mingling with everyone. Slightly dodgy.

The room itself was large. For a dorm it was exactly as expected but wifi did not work in the room. Free wifi was intermittent even in the common areas, I ended up paying for premium wifi as the speeds were unbearable I couldn't load a page let alone Skype home. This is a make it or break it for me as wifi is a necessity for travelers to keep in touch with their friends and family. With the price of internet these days can't imagine it'd break the bank to provide free stable wifi. Breakfast was standard. Common showers were interesting - you have to press the water nozzle every 10 seconds or it stops. So showering with one hand on the button while cleaning yourself with the other proved to be interesting.

The lift wasn't available so hiking up and down the stairs was a good workout. Luckily I didn't have too much luggage. They have events throughout the week which is nice for socializing. The location is perfect as it is very central and a 5 minute walk to Piccadilly Gardens and shopping. Overall you get your value for your money here, but nothing superb or fantastic about the place sticks to your mind after you leave.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Hi!

Thank you very much for letting us know about the bed assignment issues - some of our guests just take other people's beds and as you can imagine, this turns into a vicious cycle of bed-burglary and gets very messy system wise ;)

If our night staff advised you to take another bed it would have been because we had no more check-ins for the room that night. We welcome friends of staff with open arms, but under no circumstances do we permit them to nap in our guests beds, so I have to assume this was a friendly guest who was slightly confused with the bed allocations.

The stairs. They can be challenging! Please note, though, that we will happily take any luggage up for you in the lift. I think I can say on behalf of all our staff that we feel like horrible, horrible people going up in the lift without you in it, but I'm afraid the UK's ol' health and safety policies say it's too old :(

Thank you very much for leaving a review, and we hope that we can blow your mind next time ;)

Reviewed May 8, 2014

My friend and I were in Manchester for just one night, so we decided to settle for a cheap accommodation - and to be fair, the hostel room was really pretty cheap. We stayed in an 18 person bunk, which probably resulted in the poor experience.

First off, the good parts about the hostel. The hostel is well-located, about a 3-5 minute walk from the city centre where Arndale, Wheel of Manchester, etc are located.The staff at the hostel were also very polite and helpful at all hours of the day, and cannot be faulted for anything.

The room itself was spacious in the sense that there was walking space despite the 18 persons. However, there were no lockers within the room itself, so we had to walk in and out of the room every time we want to grab something from the lockers - which is made more annoying by how the room door doesn't unlock smoothly. There were power plugs but these were shared and there may not be enough. Our room was located next to a busy road and there were loud noises (eg. sirens) throughout the night which the window hardly kept out. The noise was made worse by how the main entrance door of the hostel buzzes loudly everytime someone enters, which is loud enough to reach some of the lower level rooms. It didn't help either that some less considerate people return to their bunk bed at 2am completely drunk, smelled of vomit and made lots of noise. All in all, do not expect a good night's sleep.

The toilets and showers are shared and located on alternate floors for each gender. The shower was quite poor - hot water is very intermittent and it was mostly just cold water raining down on you (or trickling down if you picked one of the worse showers). The shower room is basically 4 shower cabins placed in a row with a bench outside to place your belongings - so you have to not mind the lack of privacy.

Breakfast is included in the price - which is already really low so you can probably guess not to expect much. There was some selection of cereal, toasted bread, coffee, tea, juice, hot chocolate. But note that you have to do everything yourself - including washing up your plates after eating. This is probably the first place I've seen that requests guests to wash up plates. While I'm completely fine with doing that, the problem is that some plates are not clean because previous guests had not cleaned them properly. So just be aware of that.

If you do stay at this hostel, just keep in mind the low price that you've paid and do not expect too much. I would unfortunately not recommend this hostel if you are in Manchester for an extended stay unless you are prepared for the above.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sharingan90

Hello and thank you for leaving a review for us!

Regarding lockers - we used to have lockers only on the ground floor but we have now installed lockers on every floor of the hostel, as you mentioned. Doing it this way ensures that our CCTV cameras can keep a watchful eye on the lockers while you are not there!

Our city center location does play a part in the noise, as we are in the heart of The Nothern Quarter with it's many bars and nightclubs accommodating eager party goers! For quieter nights we would recommend our 4 or 6 bed dorms - most of our guests are respectful but we can (unfortunately) never guarantee that all our guests will behave themselves. Please also ask us for quieter, internal rooms if you're just looking for a good nights sleep - we'll do what we can to help you out :)

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Nice because of
Pub crawl with the host pablo
Hanging out with fernando and pablo
Receiving advices from the reception for the stay in manchester ...everything was fine..thank you !
Also the room and the showers were really clean

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo