“DO NOT go there!!!”

Britannia Airport Hotel
Ranked #97 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I really don't know where to begin so I have cut and pasted my letter to both the travel company I booked through and Britannia Hotels themselves please feel free to peruse my photographs I'm sure you will be impressed !! We spoke to a local and a taxi driver who laughed when we said we were staying and said "we call it Fawlty Towers round here it needs a bomb under it to be honest its a disgrace to the area"

Here is a list of said complaints followed by the accompanying
photographs of our room on the 7th floor 708.

Immediately on arrival we noticed how the Reception was dirty, with
stained furniture especially the red chaise longue type seat
absolutely filthy.
Seating by TV someones filthy muddy football boots sitting there next
to the so called Java coffee bar ??
Carpets and lift area the same, rubber flooring in lift bubbled up
some people tripped on it on 2 separate occasions.
Even when putting key card in door lock filthy.
The bathroom was clean
I checked the bed linen which was clean but the bed only had a thin
white quilt cover which when I got into bed that night I found was
ripped/torn. The bed consisted of 2 pvc brown bed bases (see
photograph) pushed together there was no valance or cover.
Carpet marked dirty and holes in it.
Scratched mismatched furniture with badly stained seat on armchair
Windows, net curtains and frames filthy with mould mildew and some
brown stains around( see photograph with the Warning sign on it)
Curtains with paint splashed up both of them
Dirty stains on wallpaper all around
Ripped wallpaper and other hanging off
Radiator on wall so thick with paint all cracked peeling and some left
on carpet.. again dirty as was the pipework and the thermostat covered
in mould.
The light fitting and shade on the wall was loose

Then there was the "Evening meal "

Un- appealing to begin with we were advised" you can eat all you like" ....
Nothing looked freshly prepared
Hard frozen vegetables looked like they had just come out of freezer
and not cooked
Turkey curry consisted of squares of something apparently turkey
surrounded by orange water (A guest told us that the curry had been on
at least 3 times and looked like it was just put back out again
Salmon soaked in grease/oil
Ham and Beef like plastic with fat in it
Bread rolls hardly cooked
Salad bar cucumber, hard tasteless tomatoes white onion chopped and a
big bowl of white rice with a few peas in it
Pasta spirals with possibly tuna mayo in it.
A great big pyramid of beige coloured grease covered chicken
drumsticks which looked like they'd been there before

We had to get a taxi to Didsbury down the road where we bought a pub
meal so again more money spent on something that should have already
been addressed at hotel.I have since seen comments on Trip Advisor and
the like that " you will notice people ordering or bringing take away
food in even the hotel staff ie pizzas there were people entering with
boxes under their arm or the delivery man himself looking for the
people who had ordered.

Breakfast or rather ....might has well not bothered
Staff hadn't turned up so only option was toast and cereal
/apparently some croissants which we didn't see
Lots of the people were older and need breakfast in them to start
the day they had got up early as we were told 7.45 am to get this
offering !!Therefore we had to wait until 10am in Liverpool and go and buy a
toasted sandwich and coffee to eat
We did not expect a 4 star hotel at the prices but there
are basic needs here to be met it must be a health hazard.

Room Tip: Just don't do it !!! Keep away
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank woo1963

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed here in a twin room, dinner bed and breakfast and free bottle of wine, for under £50. I thought it was excellent value. I was a little worried after i had booked it as read some reviews, so was pleasantly surprised. The room, okay it had a few scuffs but the bed linen clean and room spotless and bathroom clean and presentable. Good quality curtains which didnt have light coming through. Lovely white towels, not much toiletries but enough to get by with. The food okay not brilliant more school dinners, and the soup, bland and tasteless, but edible. The young lad who served the tables was very attentive and helpful. We sat and had a couple of drinks in the bar area it was happy hour between 5 and 8, so drinks nice and cheap. I would certainly return here, the access to the airport was very good, only two junctions up the road and took only 6 minutes.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

The only reason why i booked the hotel was because i got a deal for a double room with a queen size bed all for £35 for the one night. Like the other reviews i cannot agree more but for that price it wasn't that bad. Quite noisy if you have a room facing overlooking the main road. Food was ok and they do cheap offer on a pint of carlsberg. So to some it up ok for one night.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Definitley needs refurb...carpets stained,lightshades damaged, tv very old bulky style and picture was not great..on positive side, staff were great, bathroom very clean, bedlinen clean...great to have free wifi and free parking for my one night stay.

Room Tip: ok for one nite stay...great for airport.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank tricia634
Reviewed March 7, 2014

stayed here this week very disappointed rooms very shabby, wash hand basin in bathroom blocked took ages to drain the sheet on my bed did not fit overall not what I expected the breakfast was luke warm

Reviewed March 3, 2014

It definitely needs a good refurb. Our room was ok. The window sill was chipped and needed painting, the carpets did need a good clean, the tiles in the bathroom need grouting, the kettle worked for about 30 seconds and then switched itself off, in the room next door I know that the tv did not work. There are three lifts in the hotel, one was out of order and one was filthy, the previous nights takeaway and been emptied all over the floor. I get the impression that the owners are not going to spend any money doing up this hotel because they know people will stay here just because the location is very good. I can't comment on the food because we did not eat here but within a ten minute walk you are in easy reach of a number of restaurants and takeaways. There seems to be ample parking which is a bonus.
Would I come back here if this was a holiday hotel in a Spanish resort? definitely not. But we will stay here again simply because of it's location. Close to Manchester, close to the airport, close to the motorway, so if you just want a bed for the night and not too fussed about decor, then give it a go

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed here 6th December 2013 ( I know it's late to leave a review but it will become clear) entered the hotel pushing my wife in a wheel chair and two suit cases, 4 male at reception do they offer to help NO. Room terrible, evening meal Starter okay, main meal frozen veg, S&K Pie looked like dog food (No my dog has better) wife veg frozen chicken cremated complained and was told what do you what me to do about it, ask for refund was to No, NO manager on duty so left a written complaint. Followed up by letter to customer services. Web page say's could take up to 28 days. 28 days later no reply wrote to manager and said I want a full refund, you guessed NO reply, sent letter warning if not received refund in 14 days would go to small claims court for CCJ, No reply Went to CCJ court they failed to reply so I won my case by default. Still no payment so applied for a warrant of execution, and have ben awarded this too. How I would like to be a fly on the wall when the sheriffs (court bailiffs) and get my money back for me.

Don't put up with the service from this hotel. 1st write and complain ask for your money back, if every one did may be something would be done about the state of the place. 2nd DON'T give up take out a CCJ easy to do and all on line Just use HM MCOL (make a claim on line)www.gov.uk/county-court-judgments-ccj-for-debt ( copy and past this in your browser and go to more then to MCOL 3rd keep on posting your success so others can do the same.

I fuming that all the emails and telephone calls to the hotel trying to get hold of the manager and he has not ONCE written emailed or called me back HOW VERY RUDE

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple