“The worst Hotel ever!! Never again!!”

Britannia Airport Hotel
Ranked #92 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
glasgow
“The worst Hotel ever!! Never again!!”
Reviewed September 26, 2007

Our worst stay ever at airport hotel.There are 8 floors & only 1 lift works.It takes ages to get a lift.Unauthorised charge was made through my credit card when my original booking had breakfast included.Watch your credit card statements!!Difficult to get reimbusement!!You are warned!!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Service & unresponsiveness
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
Northamptonshire
Reviewed September 23, 2007

I was really dubious of staying at this hotel and leaving my car for 2 weeks after reading the other reviews, but have to say I thought the hotel was clean, staff were helpful and didn't experience any problems at all.

I went for a drive around the car park before checking in and didn't see any glass, but needn't of worried anyway as my car wasn't even left there, i had to drive it the following day to Premier Parking next to the airport.

I won't hesitate booking to stay here again before a holiday as the location is great.

1 Thank cmcco79
South Yorkshire
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Booked this hotel and paid £55 for a double room with wine and breakfast included which was ideal. We arrived around 9pm, had the wine (well, less than half of it as it was terribly cheap) and went to bed ready for the early flight the next morning.

The room was ok. Shabby. Served its purpose. Breakfast terribly poor. Included in the price, but would have been annoyed if we had paid for it.

Upon arriving at the airport the next morning I realised that I had left my £200 Armani jacked in the room. I rang the hotel immediately and they informed me that it was with House Keeping and that I could collect it on my return to the UK.

I forgot to collect my jacket (long haul flight.....) and rang the hotel to ask for it to be posted. The manager took my number (he wasn't actually the manager, more details alter) and address and assured me that it would be posted out.

A few weeks went by and my jacket had't arrived so I rang again. Again i spoke to the manager and he said he had passed my details onto House keeping and it was their fault for not posting the jacket. Again he said he would post out the jacket.

A few more days passed and still my coat hadn't arrived. On my way back from the coast I was passing the hotel so called for my coat. The man who I had been dealing with in my previous telephone calls was on reception. He told me that he wasn't acually the manager, but the night manager.

He said that he couldn't get my coat as he didn't have access the House Keeping area.... only House Keeping did. I found this strange. He told me that it was my own fault for leaving my jacket and I would have to come back before 3pm. Out of the question! The hotel is a long way away, hence the need to stay there before our flight!

I wrote a letter addressed to the Hotel general manager at this point and asked the night manager to sign it. I addressed it private and confidential.

I am still awaiting my jacket.

Terrible customer service, I'm sure you will agree.

• Liked — Price. £55 for Bed, breakfast and wine
  • Disliked — Still not got my £200 coat back!
2 Thank bexcy
Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2007

I recently stayed in this hotel and indeed had my reservations after reading other comments...but I can honestly say it was excellent. Although some of the carpets were looking worn, they were clean! The bedroom I stayed in was a standard room and had just been decorated and recarpeted, apparently most of the hotel is having the same treatment. We went down for dinner and it was very busy with a menu that had everything that we would want to eat, none of those 'stuffy' dishes like in other hotels that cost an arm and a leg, I had an 'Airport Burger' which cost £7.95...it was so big I couldn't finish it! The wine menu was extensive and again represented great value, house wine at £7.95 a bottle which was suprisingly good. Yes the rooms are a tad bit noisy, but the hotel is between 2 motorways so what do you expect??? In all, I found my dealings from making the booking, to checking in, to dinner and the bar, with all the staff to be superb. They went out of their way to make the stay comfortable and pleasant. Oh, I checked out of the hotel at 6am and was surprised to see that they started breakfast at 5am, great at less than a fiver, saved me some money rather than buying breakfast at the Airport!!!

• Liked — The service, especially at Dinner
  • Disliked — Appearances can be deceiving, from the outside the hotel does not look inviting, but what a pleasant surprise once inside the doors.
3 Thank SteveandWendy
Nottingham
Reviewed August 10, 2007

We recently booked one nights stay at the Brittania Airport Hotel with 8 days parking. Room very nice and clean although their was a strong smell of paint in the corridors as the hotel is being refurbished. Our transfer bus was due to pick us up at 2-15am but after standing outside waiting for 25 minutes we decided to flag down a taxi as we were feeling more and more uncomfortable with the amount of youths that were hanging about round the hotel even though it was the early hours !!! After having a lovely holiday we returned to find that my car had been broken into, when we reported this to the Duty Manager we seemed to get the impression that they were used to this kind of thing happening and wasn't overly concerned. After speaking with the Greater Manchester Police the following day I was informed that both the Brittania Airport and Brittania Country House Hotel are notorious for car break ins, and in the past two weeks there had been fourteen at the Brittania Airport Hotel!!!! The hotel are not bothered about the upset caused by this kind of thing happening as if they were they would improve their security. The whole car park is a joke anyone can at anytime go to the carpark and the so called CCTV that they are supposed to have is not covering most of the car park.The police are not allowed to but up notices warning the public which is a great shame as I for one wouldn't have parked my car their had I seen a police warning. I would strongly urge anyone who is looking to stay at the hotel and use the car park for 8/15 days parking to seriously reconsider. Unless you want your holiday to end on a low!!!!

• Disliked — Poor security in car park leading to my car being broken into.
4 Thank Goldy55
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2007

Where to begin?
I looked up on google and came up with this hotel which had website and also a phone number. As I wanted to know the details of the shuttle bus I decided to ring the hotel rather than book online, which had an online 10% discount plus free bottle of wine.
I was told (incorrectly) that the shuttle bus ran from outside terminal 2 (more of that later!)
I was put through to reservations and I asked if I got the same price as booking online and the girl said yes. So, I booked on the phone and left it at that.
On arrival into Manchester airport railway station I then trekked all the way across to Terminal 2 to look for the shuttle bus, which I had no luck with so was then told by information desk ran from the bus station which was guess where...? Yes, all the way back along towards where I had just come from!
The bus left from a different stand number to what I was told and was not marked Britannia Hotel, which I had also been told! On checking in I asked what price I was paying and was told the FULL price, not the 10% disounted online price and no bottle of wine! I demanded the number of Head Office as she refused to honour what i had been told by reservations, although did concede to the free bottle of wine.
10 minutes later after a call on my mobile from reception to Head Office, she came out of the back office and said they would refund me the 10% after all.
I had booked a smoking room....which guess what....had no ashtray. 3 calls to reception later after being told it was "on its way" I made my own way down and was given a dirty used ashtray from the managers office.
Breakfast next morning (at £7.95 not cheap!) was hardly busy and was totally self service. No coffee or toast was available and had to wait so long till it came, my breakfast was cold and almost did not make it back out to the shuttle bus to the airport.
The hotel is in serious need of renovation and cleaning. NEVER AGAIN!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Read the review!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank David B
Shropshire
Reviewed July 27, 2007

Hotel is OK-being refurbished at the moment. Rooms clean and well furnished. Staff not brilliant. We booked here on a Park and Fly and were a little nervous about leaving our car on the hotel's multi-storey car park as it was covered with broken glass. Although CCTV is in operation, the car park is not secure and there are warning everywhere on the car park itself and in the hotel. Transfer was efficient.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Hotel multi-storey car park
1 Thank TheCastles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Park View Residence
Park View Residence
#80 of 116 in Manchester

Been to Britannia Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!