“Quite a birthday treat!”
Review of Didsbury House

Didsbury House
Ranked #3 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed April 3, 2006

I got taken here as a birthday surprise, and it was a real success. We were given one of the loft suites, and the whole thing was perfect for a romantic evening. The front-of-house staff were all very friendly, the room was spotlessly clean, and the decor is terribly stylish. The bathroom was wonderful, with the twin baths that other reviews have mentioned. A great idea, and we certainly enjoyed drinking champagne in comfort, rather than being squashed into one tub. Also, the Irish Breakfast was good, if a little bit on the small side.

My only grip about the whole thing is that, when we came to check out, the woman on the desk blurted out the price, rather than just handing the invoice to my girlfriend. She (my girlfriend) felt rather embarassed, but it was more funny than anything else.

• Stayed: March 2006
Caroline D, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2016

Reviewed March 20, 2006

I have stayed at the Didsbury before and found some of their practices annoying, like keeping the front door locked all the time. I also did not like being charged 10£ for a small airline bottle of wine. But the real disappointment was the day in question when I made a reservation on the day I was coming to Manchester and two hours later, when I cancelled the reservation, was charged the full amount for the room. The cancellation was well before 18:00, the usual deadline for hotels in the rest of the world, and the reservation was made on the same day. Their dubious cancellation policy was not made clear to me at the time of the reservation. I only found out about it when my bank statement came. When I phoned them for clarification, all I got was "That is our policy."

I will never go there again.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank davidwilliamt

A TripAdvisor Member
Leamington Spa, Warwickshire
Reviewed February 4, 2006

My husband and I have just returned from a glorious weekend break at the Didsbury House hotel. We had a villa room which had a huge comfy bed with lovely linen and the decor was funky and relaxing.

From the minute we arrived the staff were fantastic and made us feel very special.

The chap on reception was extremely helpful and professional in a lovely relaxed way that made us feel very at home.

The breakfast was to die for! We both had the full English breakfast and it was absolutely top drawer better than many 5* hotels we've stayed in. The waiter was also incredibly professional, warm and friendly and made us feel like nothing was too much trouble even though we didn't make it down to breakfast until 11.15am!

All in all a wonderful, relaxing, romantic getaway. We'll definately be returning and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed November 20, 2005

I've just returned from a weekend break in Manchester, staying at the Didsbury House Hotel, and as there have been loads of contradictory reviews on this site for the hotel, I thought I'd add my view into the mix!

Firstly the good stuff. The hotel, especially the public areas, has a really cool interior design. There is some really interesting furniture, lamps etc. The bedroom that we were in (£195 per night, junior suite) was a good size, for the price. The breakfast (at least on the first morning) was lovely - a good price at £12.50 and loads of nice things to eat.

Ok, so now onto the less impressive stuff. The bathroom was far too small for a room that costs £195 per night (we had rm 12, try to avoid if you're expecting a lux bathroom).

Although there was shampoo, conditioner and shower gel in the bathroom, there were no other bits e.g. shower cap (very important when the shower is one of those rain showers, directly over your head and you don't want to get wet hair), cotton buds etc.

There was milk in the fridge and tea/coffee making facilities, however the choice was Nescafe sachets or one type of tea. For a hotel of this price, they should have at least provided a variety of tea bags (earl grey, green tea) and something better than Nescafe sachets!

There was no maid service in the evening, so when we returned at 2am our towels were where we left them - in a damp heap. You may think we should have been less lazy and hung them up before we left, but my experience of other hotels of similar price is that they come round in the evening to do a basic tidy up for you.

There was noise as many other reviews mention.

Finally, on the 2nd morning, the woman (who could have been the manager) who served us breakfast, was rude and condescending, not just to us, but another couple as well.

If you compare this hotel with others in a similar price bracket locally and nationally (Hotel du Vin, Malmaison, The Lowry), this hotel doesn't come up to scratch. Luxury isn't about having a few bits of fancy furniture and a beautifully designed entrance hall. It's about service and the little touches. I think Didsbury House needs to re-evaluate itself.

• Stayed: November 2005
5  Thank Helen4travelling

Reviewed November 17, 2005

Stayed at the Hotel for 2 nights as part of a "Mr&Mrs Smith" 2-4-1 promotion from the Daily Telegraph, which was probably why we were allocated the room we were. Like other reviewers have said it all looks very nice, with a Malmaison style interior. In our small room and average sized bathroom we were treated to a huge bath tub, enough for two, however the associated plumbing was awful. Throughout the night the clanging of pipes and toilets flushing could easily be heard. Generally the rooms aren't very soundproofed - in the morning I could hear the annoying music that is piped throughout the building, the cleaners banging about and the busy road outside the hotel. So all in all, doesn’t live up to it’s billing.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank Wanderingwardy

Reviewed November 10, 2005

Didsbury House was a very stylish and contemporary hotel and suited us for a three night break. The bar and public areas were very attractive and the staff helpful. We booked a villa room which did cost more money and I was slightly disappointed as I did not see what was different between that room and the standard double-the receptionist told me that the only difference is the villa being a little bigger. The bathroom, although once impressive looks like it needs modernising or at least 'tidying up.' The room itself was incredibly hot during the night and early morning. I booked through lastminute.com and got a much better deal than booking directly through the hotel, although having read an earlier tripadvisor review I took the precaution of ringing to confirm my reservation at which point I was told that they did not have a room for me but I was booked into the sister hotel 11 Didsbury. I said that I had paid for my room at Didsbury House and she did change it. Had I not telephoned ahead however I do not think we would have got a room as she had said they were fully booked. We got a taxi to the Trafford Centre from the hotel and this cost around £15. The rail links from East Didsbury into central Manchester were good and it was only a fifteen minute journey. Whilst in Manchester we visited The Dining Room restaurant and had a very good meal for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank Louisa H

A TripAdvisor Member
North-West England
Reviewed November 5, 2005

"Tranquility surrounded with beauty" says the hotel of itself. Perhaps I'm being picky but, in line with some of the other reviewers below, my partner and I were a tad underwhelmed by Didsbury House.

Intercom didn't seem to work getting in, no staff visible so we were standing in the rain for a while till another guest came out. Entrance hall is gorgeous, as are two lounge rooms, and other communal areas - irritating "ambient" music though (in the morning it seemed to be a local radio station - ugh....)

A polite if brief welcome and then we were shown up to our room - we'd booked a "Villa" room but frankly, it looked alot like a standard double to me. Again, I would re-iterate the idea that perhaps if you book your room through a discount internet site, you get given a less good room? If not then....in my opinion, not worth £150 at full price - but for the £75 we paid, fine, definitely above average. Ours appeared to have an interconnecting door through to the next room, though, which didn't exactly make us feel like we had total privacy.

Decor good (but just good, not super lux), modern neutral - alot better than country house floral overkill or business hotel cheerless nylon-and-MDF-gloom. What at first appeared to be an enormous, fantastic bed was just 2 smaller beds pushed together...definitely felt the gap when sleeping on it. Comfy though (when not on gap)and excellent quality bed linen and covers. TV fine, CD player (didn't use). No DVD. Fresh milk in fridge. Bathroom very good - quite stylish, big bath (although there was some shonky tiling along the side), great shower, no probs with hot water (but we didn't use it till 10.30am).

Didn't eat there or use any other facilities so can't comment on those.

Main problem was in the morning: NOISE!!! This is an old building and old buildings often have noisy water pipes but this was too much - from 6.45am-9.00am we were constantly disturbed by the rooms round us using water. The rubbish truck reversed, beeping, up outside our window for 5 mins at 7.30am (not hotel's fault but it didn't improve our mood...). Maid cleaned adjacent rooms and corridor(noisy hoovering, loud conversations with at other staff)at 8.30am. Knocked on our door at 9am (because this hotel is too cool for "Do Not Disturb" signs, obviously). After that, it seemed to quieten down a bit but it was too late to stop me feeling underslept and grumpy.

Maybe as a business traveller, or if you pay for one of the most expensive rooms, this hotel would be a revelation. As a couple, trying to have a peaceful and romantic midweek night away from the kids (and a rare lie-in!) and believing ourselves to be staying at one of Manchester's best hotels....not completely convinced, I'm afraid.

• Stayed: November 2005