“Such a great venue for a wedding reception” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Didsbury House

Didsbury House
Ranked #10 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Stockport, UK
“Such a great venue for a wedding reception”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Our daughter and her fiancé chose to plan their wedding reception around this hotel because they just loved its stylish but informal character: not at all the same old standard package available elsewhere. Excellent decision! So we took over the whole hotel for 24 hours. The staff were so helpful and friendly, both in the planning and on the day; the food and drink were of excellent quality; the splendid staircase was an ideal setting for the speeches; the layout allowed some guests to steer clear of the band; and so many guests said how impressed they were with the bedrooms. Hard to think how it could have gone better. Of course, such quality doesn't come cheap - but is well worth paying for if you can afford it!

Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. I am so Happy your Daughter and now Son in Law chose us to celebrate their wedding day. I hope they have left with many memories that will last them forever.

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

This hotel is certainly beautiful and has a great charm which is exactly why we chose it for a special anniversary night away. Unfortunately what we didn’t realise was we would be sharing the hotel with a wedding. This would not normally present a problem but as a previous reviewer commented the hotel is small and reminiscent of entering someone’s home. During our entire stay we felt like wedding crashers and wasn’t able to truly enjoy our stay and make the most of the hotel. I am sure the wedding party also felt uncomfortable with my husband and I casually dressed wandering around the place trying to find a member of staff to check in! It would have been nice to feel relaxed enough to wander through the various communal rooms of the hotel or even have a drink in the bar prior to our dinner reservation but it all felt really awkward as the rooms were occupied with wedding guests. One half of the car park was blocked off to preserve for the wedding which we presumed was for the wedding photographs. This made parking at the hotel a premium and was forced to wait on the roadside for our taxi as he was unable to pull in. On reflection this is clearly not the concern of the wedding party who I truly hope had a stunning day but was disappointed the hotel had not advised us of the function in order to make an informed decision as in such an intimate establishment this function had a clear impact on other paying guests who have equal expectations. Customer service unfortunately fell short due I suspect due to the demand of a challenging function. Overall, the rooms were stunning and certainly afforded luxury and serenity but we were left feeling all a bit let down for our big night away…lesson learnt I suppose, ask next time!!

Room Tip: The in room bath was just lovely!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rascal3687
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. I am so sorry that your stay did not live up to expectations, we take pride in treating each and every guest he same no matter if they are part of a party or not. Like every other hotel we take on Conference and Banquets and this does not normally cause a problem. I would like to talk to you further about this. Please contact me direct on aboneham@11didsburypark.co.uk

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

Two night stay as part of a family wedding. Delightful place. Food at the wedding (most importantly) was absolutely delicious. They know how to cook here! Breakfasts were amazing - so much choice and cooked brilliantly. I am a bit of a fan of (American) buttermilk pancakes and they are great here, so average in other places.

The staff treated us beautifully. The rooms were comfortable, well equipped and beautifully presented. Sadly, it is unlikely I will return to the Didsbury because I have no need to return to Manchester but I would definitely say it's a place to stay if you are looking for funky, boutique, comfy and a bit special. The separate rooms where you can have drinks downstairs, nibbles and chats are brilliant. They've thought about everything!

The only slight criticism is that breakfast is downstairs right next to the kitchen so you actually go down utility style stairs. Feels a bit weird when the rest of the hotel is so high end, but it doesn't really matter because when you get to the tables, the food is amazing. Well done!

Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. We hold many weddings here due to and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. Please if you are every back in Manchester we would love to see you again.

Granada, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

This is such a beautiful hotel - feels like going into someone's home with cozy sitting rooms, winding hallways and elegant furnishing. We had a gorgeous room on the ground floor (I think we got upgraded) that had a massive bed, bath in the bedroom (!) and a great walk-in shower in the bedroom also (behind a 'wall').
The place was spotless, had modern amenities while still maintaining stylish luxury and gave us a great night's sleep.
Only con was we were able to hear the front-desk phone ringing in the morning - though nothing too bad. Wish we could visit more often to stay here again!

Room Tip: Ground floor room was beautiful and huge. Saw some upstairs rooms too that all seemed amazing!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. That room you stayed in is one of our most popular for its position and comfort. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and I hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Knutsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed here recently on a whim as we always see the sign when travelling into Didsbury. It was fantastic, lovely touches with the big brass footed bath and balcony for the shower. Everything was very pretty and the staff very efficient. The only downfall was the overnight porter was a little short with us, letting it down slightly.
Otherwise lovely, would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Many thanks for your recent response. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay here and I hope we can welcome you back again in the near future. I must apologise for the night staff being a bit short with you and assure you that is not the standard we expect from our staff and it has been dealt with in house.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2014

Yes the pillows were lovely and soft and on the strength of that only we may stay there again, but the rooms are small, expensive and with very little bathroom shelf space. And for that price I would expect them to check that everything in the room worked. The pedal pin in our room only opened manually, so I had to bend down and open it for every cotton bud, as I have a disability that meant that I came up feeling dizzy every time. To some it might have been a small inconvenience, to me a lot of inconvenience and suffering. Because of this, and the very small shelf space in the bathroom, I decided I'd have to do my make-up in the bedroom where there was another mirror, with a light by it, but the light didn't work - we both tried all the plugs and switches but nothing.
Breakfast is down a steep flight of stairs - but hey, I didn't need breakfast anyway, so I didn't bother!
Some bathrooms have no shelf space at all, I was told there were hooks!!- Not sure how you balance a contact lense case on a hook!!
For those who like the bath in the bedroom and don't need to put things on a shelf in the bathroom - you'll love it.

Room Tip: Ring and talk to them about what you want as all the rooms are different. There is no lift but ther...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. I am sorry we did not live up to your requirements. We do have many standards of rooms and I believe we would have one that may have suited you better such as the Eclectic Villa rooms. As the Hotel was built circa 1830 we do have to make best use of the available space and thats why we put breakfast downstairs. Anything like this please always give reception a call as we would have happily brought breakfast to your room. If you would like to com eback please contact me direct on aboneham@11didsburypark.co.uk.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stayed here as an extension of our honeymoon. We were upgraded to a beautiful Eclectic Duplex and were greeted by strawberries and chocolates when we arrived. The service was great from everyone. The house itself is beautiful.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and that you liked your eclectic duplex. We take pride in our hotel and we are happy that you chose us to take your extended honeymoon.

Kind Regards