“Quality hotel with character” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Didsbury House

Didsbury House
Ranked #10 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Quality hotel with character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

On arrival we loved the decor, a little quirky but that's what we like.
We booked a classic suite as we weren't sold on the bath in the bedroom, but wanted the little extra space.
Our room had the rolltop bath & shower upstairs on a mezzanine deck which was funky, but there weren't any bathrobes or flannels which we found surprising for a 4* hotel.
The staff from start to finish we're very friendly and accommodating and were able to rustle up a cosmopolitan in no time at all!
The location is close enough to the village to walk in, but you may want a taxi if heading over to West Didsbury.
Breakfast was delicious, eggs benedict and eclectic eggs (scrambled eggs with smoked salmon) were a great way to start the day.
I'd definitely recommend Didsbury house, a quality hotel with a friendly face!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grovetrotter
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit and especially your quick 'cosmopolitan'. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Quirky but elegant rooms, gives the impression of being a good conversion of a grand house, and you are one of the guests. But a few quibbles that have transformed a good four into a three review.

On swishing open the french window curtains we found our room backed right onto an internal courtyard, in which a family was having food. This was uncomfortable in terms of any privacy, people could be standing just outside. With curtains closed the room was poorly lit, even when open the room was poorly lit.

And the service left something to be desired when checking out. Four people were ahead of us, served by the one person behind reception. Check out for each was laborious and made slower by frequent errors on bills There was no apology either from the receptionist for the wait.

If you have a better-located room and happen to check out at a quiet time you may love this. But for us it wasn't quite right.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear your feedback. Our Hotel is almost 200 years old and a beautiful Grade II listed building giving it bags of character, one of them being our unique courtyard. With regards the size and the positioning of the room, we have a range of room types to suit all tastes and we are constantly training our staff to develop their knowledge on rooms and guest requirements. I would like to discuss your experiences further and would welcome an approach during your next stay or for you to contact me directly at the Hotel.

Best Regards
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I needed a Manchester overnight stay and travelling by car we made the decision to stay out of the city centre. What a good decision that turned out to be. We had a beautiful stay in Didsbury House.
The hotel is elegant, stunning and sooooooo comfortable. The staff are friendly and welcoming and very efficient.
We stayed in Room 10 and it was a delight. The wet room shower made a lovely change to the usual hotel bathroom arrangement. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in. My only minor criticisms . . . Bath robes would have been a nice inclusion as would a packet of biscuits with the tea/coffee tray.
This was not a cheap overnight stay but I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it and I would choose to stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay and the Wet shower room in particular. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Best Regards
Haslemere, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed with my wife as we were installing my daughter at Manchester University's halls of residence in Fallowfield at it seemed close enough to both the halls and Didsbury village.

As it turned out, we were so impressed we stayed an extra night. The first night was in room 10, and we were switched to room 40 on the second. The staff kindly moved our bags without having to be asked.

The rooms are classy, beautiful and spacious. The ceilings very high and ornate. The bed in room 10 was THE BEST I have even slept in.

We only ate breakfast at the hotel (the full Irish was excellent) so I can't comment on quality of the evening meals.

A tad expensive, but overall, worth the money.

• Stayed September 2013
Godalming, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a short stay once more at the Didsbury House taking advantage of their Sunday special. Just 24 hours here really is enough to recharge the batteries. Staff are welcoming and truly hospitable, food delicious and the duplex accommodation was stunning. We will be back!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ponteland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

My wife tells me it's the fashion, personally I would rather have had somewhere to put my cases!
The sign outside says Luxury Villa and it certainly is very well done. The interiors are beautifully done and although I have seen larger bedrooms it was spotless and very comfortable. The bed was worth a mention as it was very comfortable.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful.
If you've read one of my hotel reviews before you'll know I'm hard on breakfasts and buffet especially! Fear not! This is waiter served and cooked while you wait.One of the best breakfasts I have sampled recently! Tried both full and were equally good....should be for £15.50!
Don't come here if you are price sensitive as everything costs.
Just 10 mins walk from Didsbury high street where there are some really good restaurants.
Good location for airport.

Room Tip: If you want a really nice value meal try Bistro beside Coop on High Street.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We stayed here for a family wedding - the hotel is gorgeous - lovely Victorian detail - high ceilings, mouldings, stained glass the works. Dinner excellent, Irish breakfast superb. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in in a hotel. We stayed in Room 10 and had a bath at the foot of the bed which was novel :-) DAB radio in the rooms and lovely toiletries. (Only one towelling robe though which seemed odd)

I would have given this hotel 5* without question were it not for the fact that they charge for wifi. The rooms ain't cheap and to sell wifi for £10 a day (if remember correctly - I didn't pay it obviously) is taking the mickey. Bad move. A minor inconvenience, but it leaves a sour taste which is why you only got 4 not 5 stars from me.

Room Tip: Room 10 has a lovely bath in the room itself
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Didsbury
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,161 reviews
The Lowry Hotel
#3 of 20 in Salford
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,345 reviews

Been to Didsbury House? Share your experiences!