“Good pub, Good Food, City Centre!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Old Wellington

The Old Wellington
Ranked #80 of 2,246 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: You will find The Old Wellington in Manchester within a short stroll of Manchester Cathedral, Victoria Station and Exchange Square - however, you won't find another like it. Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served - as they should be - with a generous measure of famous British hospitality. The Old Wellington is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.
North Wales
“Good pub, Good Food, City Centre!”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Having only popped in for a pint before, the huge upstairs restaurant areas were a surprise to me on this visit.

Real Ale on tap, a good menu of typical pub style good, but done better, very pleasant staff and a nice atmosphere all added up to a good visit for a Saturday lunch.

Very good alternative to all the other over-hyped eateries nearby!

Shared beer garden with the Samuel Smith's pub next door as well - double bonus!

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
“Charming and great pub food”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Visited Manchester for a wedding and happen to chance upon this wonderful pub in the heart of Manchester. 16c building set in the middle of the modern town. Pleasant greeting, nice real ales and quirky restaurant. Homemade burger very good, and pies also filling and yummy, although a touch more seasoning wouldn't have gone amiss. Good value and very recommended, if I ever return to this city I will be back.

Timisoara, Romania
“Typical british pub in Manchester's center”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Well, i was really confused by the name of the pub. When we entered, we saw outside "The Old Wellington". On the menu, it said "Nicholson's"
Now, which one is it, it doesn't really matter as the food is great.

You can see the Manchester Cathedral from it's windows.
It is quite big, with a pub & terrace outside, and restaurant on the first floor and the attic.
The bathrooms are splitted, Ladies on the first floor, Gentlemen on the second/attic.
If you had a few beer before, you need to watch your head for the beam/balk of the rooftop, as it is quite low.

The food was very good, i especially enjoyed the garlic bread.
Service was very nice.

north of england
“Olde world pub, good food”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Called in at The Wellington yesterday (saturday) afternoon after fancying a change from the norm. Have been coming to Manchester regularly for years now, my favourite city of all, yet never been in The Wellington, been in The Oyster bar adjacent many times for a drink but never really thought about next door. Went in yesterday for lunch and boy were we surprised. In the bar itself its very small, typical old fashioned pub but not much seating. We were directed upstairs for food and as soon as I got to the top of the stairs I was amazed at this new find, what a gorgeous dining room lovely old wood and beams, lovely laid out tables with comfortable seating and some window side so you could look out onto Exchange Sq, I was really impressed. Ordered fish, chips and mushy peas, we went large for a couple of quid etc but I wished we hadn't when I saw the size of the fish, humongus!! It was beautifully cooked and one of the best pub lunches we have had. My only complaint really would be that I have had better chips and the said mushy peas were served in a tiny tiny pot and by no means enough. But it was nice, the beer was good to wash it down with but alas we didn't have room for a pudding. Other food we saw coming out of the kitchen looked just as nice and the steak especially so, which I intend to have next time we visit. We were served by a nice attentive young man but I didn't catch his name. It is an absolute pleasure to eat a good pub lunch in such handsome surroundings and we will visit again for sure.

Dublin, Ireland
“Apple crumble a real treat”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Really enjoyed our meal there – the apple crumble was particularly pleasing as it was in a dish that allowed it to cool at just the right rate for me. There was also more of it than I often get elsewhere.

Visited March 2013