“Well priced and cosy atmosphere”
Review of Nexus Art Cafe

Nexus Art Cafe
Ranked #519 of 2,368 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I have spent many an afternoon in Nexus. Good veggie food, good coffee and good music. Happy days, occasionally they have live student bands on in the evenings.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I LOVE Nexus Art Café! I used to visit this place a lot back when I was a student, and have recently visited again. The place has grown significantly, with the menu expanded and updated decor. I'm not a veggie/vegan but have always enjoyed the food on offer, the menu is diverse and you don't feel as if you are eating a selection of 'veggie options'. A friend and I also stopped by for tea and cake which was hearty and delicious.

Nexus is a little rough and ready - a lot of elements are self service, and don't expect fancy linens - but the staff are lovely, the cakes are divine and it is a lovely place to sit and relax.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went on a sunday but everything was available and nice & fresh, the place is great for students and especially good for veggies & vegans, very laid back atmosphere, no frills & had a grungy vintage feel. The food was home made, I had soup & banana cake which was yummy!!!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was my first visit and I'd ordered a vegetarian sausage sandwich, tea and cake.

However, the staff on the counter were very slow to take orders, and what appeared to me to be a small queue took an inordinate amount of time to clear. The woman at the counter was also particularly curt and slammed my mug on the counter when providing it to me.

When my sandwich arrived, I almost immediately noticed that there were two very long, black hairs in my sandwich. One of which was protruding slightly from the edge of the crust.

I took it back to the counter to let the staff know, but much to my annoyance they inferred that I'd placed them in there because their chef in the kitchen was bald. I ended up arguing with them about how they got there (clearly too long to be my hair either).

They eventually relented and provided a refund, but I'd be very reluctant to go back in based on that experience. There's loads of other cafes in that area that you could get good food at a reasonable price and, although it's a good setting, it's not worth running the risk of hairy sandwiches and despondent staff.

1  Thank Richard M
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I visited Nexus Art Cafe yesterday in Manchester. We were drawn there because I wanted to check out the Salford Zine Library, which is housed in the same building.

We were spoiled for choice for seating, as there was a huge variety and all looked pretty comfy. We chose the sofas in the centre. We ordered veggie chilli for myself which was delicious, came with a huge hunk of bread, and the chilli was really saucy giving me plenty of warming tasty goodness to mop up. The chilli was very tasty and had lots of cheese on top - a warming and satisfying meal. My boyfriend had a cheesy potato and pea pie which was also very nice and was served with salad. We each had a warm glass of vimto to wash it all down with - perfect on a chilly February afternoon! Our bill with drinks came to £12, which was pretty reasonable for a hot lunch! They also had some cakes offer which looked great - especially the chocolate cake, but I didn't try them.

They also have hand made gifts for sale here too like ceramics and jewellery,

We stayed here a while just chatting and relaxing, and didn't feel we were out staying our welcome at all! All I would say to improve this cafe is to make it a bit warmer. I know it's a big old building with high ceilings, but it was a bit on the shivery side.