“Awful”

BBQ Handmade Noodles King
Ranked #1,781 of 2,420 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We visited one Friday night when a lot of other restaurants in Manchester would likely be very busy. It should therefore have been a sign of things to come that this place was almost empty.

The menu was varied and the dishes seemed reasonably well priced. However, when you asked the staff for recommendations, explanations of the ingredients etc they were useless. The most amusing was when we asked for soy sauce and the waiter had no idea what we were talking about.

When they brought the food out, only about 2 of the 5 dishes on the table looked appetizing. My dish turned out to be rather bland and disappointing, however my partner's was perhaps the worst. He had been recommended what I can only assume was Spam fried rice. It had no flavour whatsoever and when he asked the waiter what was in it, the response was simply "meat."

Overall, I felt it was a waste of money and that there were much better restaurants nearby that I could have gone to instead.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

After a day of looking around Manchester with a few pit stops for drinks here and there a small group of us decided to stop by Chinatown for a bite to eat. We took pot luck and just called into BBQ Noodles King. The restaurant looked busy but by no means full and we were seated right away. After being ignored for about 15 minutes we made eye contact with a member of staff in the hope of ordering some food & drinks. We were told that three of our choices were sold out, but we managed to cobble together some other options and all looked ok.
After about 10 minutes we had to ask about our drinks again.... They were then taken to the wrong table... People behind us then had to complain about a wrong drinks order... Our drinks turned up, one by one over the course of about 5 minutes. We should have left at this point really, but it was slightly comical so we stayed put.
Our food turned up, during this time two other parties had given up and walked out, we stayed, fully committed at this point. I say the food turned up. I don't mean all of it together! Some starters, some mains, but after say 10 minutes we were all tucking in. The food was ok, nothing too bad, but really nothing great at all.
Some more people complained a bit.

I asked for the bill and this is where It started to get a bit stupid. It was correct, but when I went to pay I was told that I can't pay by card as the machine is broken. Fair enough, but tell me that before I want to pay by card.

Overall, it looks very poorly managed with very little communication between waiters/bar/kitchen. I won't go again and I won't recommend it to my friends.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I had Beef Noodles from this place and it was the best Noodles I had so far. Price is not bad either. The place is always full of Young Chinese students and they all seemed very happy with the food as well. They have a quite big menu to choose from and seeing most of their customers were Chinese, it made sense why most of the menu is in Chinese. They do have English version as well though but limited. Also, their chicken and lamb is halal so it would be suitable to wider audience as well. I would most definitely recommend this place to anybody looking for authentic Chinese food in China Town Manchester. Be kind to the waiters and waitresses as they do speak English but it may not be to your own English standards. As i am sure, you will find speaking Chinese quite difficult :)

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We visited this restaurant today at lunch time between Christmas Shopping bouts.
Never been before but given the number of places to choose from in this area the Lunch Time Menu seemed good. Select any two starters from a choice of dim sum, meats on skewer and soups plus any one main course with boiled rice, egg fried rice or noodles. £6.95 per head.
We had chicken on skewer, crispy dim sum with crab, we both had beijing hot and sour soup. Our main courses Chicken, green pepper and black bean sauce, plus king prawn sechuan both with egg fried rice.
Two young chinese ladies served and it was apparent their English was very rudimentary, and they struggled with my Mancunian accent, not a problem though. Untill we left every other customer was Chinese, and most had noodles, I wonder what we were missing?

When time came to pay, despite lots of visa and mastercard logos, and a card machine they were unable for some reason to accept my card. perhaps if I could have undedstood Chinese I would have known the reason. They were lucky, we had enough cash........wonder if the tax man knows?

The entrance to the restaurant is a bit tatty, but so many are similar in Chinatown. Inside it wss cold, but there again they had just opened and it was freezing outside! Perhaps they didn't expect any customers so did not put the heating on early enough.

Not necessarily a place to take someone to impress, or to go in the evening, but for a cheap lunch OK, and our food was very good and portions substantial.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Tonight was my second visit after an excellent first trip. Sadly this time the same cannot be said..

Firstly we were seated on a large rectangular table leaving us spread apart.

Secondly, the food was exceedingly repulsive; one portion of egg fried rice had a long black hair in it and a portion of duck in plum and plastic sauce had been given to us, resulting in my friend chocking and regurgitating his first mouthful.

Additionally, the meat was atrocious and every dish was overcooked and poorly presented.

And finally, one member of staff spoke English. He then proceeded to shamelessly offer us one free drink to make up for best part of £100's worth of food left hardly touched.

Wont be visiting there again they have barely earned 3 out of 5 hygiene rating!

2  Thank MrJc91