“Food Good. Atmosphere Good. Service .... uhm.....”
Review of Tampopo

Tampopo
Ranked #127 of 2,298 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Right in the heart of Manchester's shopping district, close to Manchester Arena and the Northern Quarter. A popular choice with shoppers and concert goers looking to grab a bite, or pull up a stool at the bar if you just fancy a drink. Seats 105 and only 2 minutes from the cinema. Bookings up to parties of 6 available via our website. Alternatively for enquiries and large group bookings contact the site directly.
New York City, New York
“Food Good. Atmosphere Good. Service .... uhm.....”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Pan Asian restaurant centrally located -- at the old Corn Exchange building right across Arndale Shopping Center and near the train station. There is outside eating area, and basement inside restaurant which is darker and reminds me of Wagamama -- clean benches, open kitchen that you can see. The location makes it trendy without the trendy prices.

I went during lunch time, almost 2 p.m. and the place was still pretty busy.

I had the Miso soup with japanese pickles. For the price of GBP1.90 it is so much value. My tray had gingered chili, pickled julienne cucumber and radish. Not mini sizes but pretty substantial for side dishes. The miso soup was good with lots of spring onions and seaweeds. Slightly overly salty but still good. I am VERY GLAD that they brought out my main dish without making this order a "starter". Simple because this is good as a side dish to pepper up a main course. I am glad that Tampopo knew to "educate" its guests in how asian cuisine must be eaten, which is, you can enjoy your meal with a side dish and the usual style of "consume all starters first, then eat your main course on its own." -- Thanks, Tampopo.

I also had the chicken adobo. I know my Filipino adobo (no, i am NOT filipino but i have had my years in the islands) -- it was DELICIOUS, and cooked to authentic perfection. Complete with black peppercorn and bay leaves. The sauce was thick and gooey -- which is good and prevents the plate from getting too messy. Kudos to the chef, this was done right. They put a few thinly shred fried bananas on the side, which is great. They also put a few broccoli bits which -- ok, broccoli is not native to Philippine cuisine but I guess it was as a counterpoint to the vinegar tartness of the sauce. I guess sliced radish or tomatoes would've been more true-to-cuisine, but the broccoli was good and it "dressed up" the plate with a bit of green against all that brown. IT'S ALL GOOD!

The variety of the menu is very commendable. You get a good sampling of Asian and Southeast Asian food. -- excellent.

The surroundings were clean. A bit dark but ok.

The Service. Oy. Room for improvement. Seating -- the attendant tried to seat me at an area which I felt was too open and visible to incoming guests (right at the front facing the door). I was hesitating whether to face into the restaurant or out to the entrance .... and this hesitation seemed to have irritated the attendant slightly as she asked "so which will it be?" complete with the nervous asian giggle -- HELL-O GIRL! We are restaurant patrons, ok? Behave accordingly. Taking order only required me to say it once and the lady who took my order (THANKFULLY -- not the one who seated me) did it right. She also checked on me once to see that every thing was ok. This is good. There was however no refill of water -- which is my usual complaint about British restaurants -- the guest usually has to ask for a refill (a tedious task of having to catch a server's attention) instead of having people routinely check to see if glasses are full. Anyway, i DID ask for a refill of water and IT NEVER CAME. Checking out was a bit drawn also. i asked for the check and it took sometime for her to come with it. And when it came, it took forever for her to take my payment. I had intended to pay with a credit card and leave a tip. BUT THEN, it took so long, I decided to just pay in cash and sorry, i had no coins for tip. I do not understand why there should be that much downtime in between --- this is after all, lunchtime, and people have a rather limited time to wait.

So on the whole, I would say, yes, visit. There will be minor irritants and kinks with the service -- not overly bad, but still lots of room for improvement -- but you WILL enjoy the food.

• Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Durham, England
“awesome chef, great atmosphere - You simply have to try it!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Its not often that I feel compelled to share my experiences, infact the last time was in 2006 or 7!
However, ive just finished my main course, and the chef is clearly brilliant. Ramsey? No thanks Gordon - I'd rather be in Tampopo....

Food first class, service great, atmosphere spot on-just a shame its not busier ( though it is 10 on a wednesday night.

You simply have to try it!

• Visited June 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Similar to Wagamamas...but better!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Wanted to try this place for ages, so when finally got round to dining here.,,I was really impressed.

Looks small from the outside but is deceivingly quite big when inside....the set up reminded me a bit of Wagamamas,,,but the food was much tastier and fresher :) was lovely.

Would definitely return,

Douglas, United Kingdom
“Late lunch”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Great restaurant in the heart of the city serving a variety of Far Eastern food. Service and friendliness very good. Their starter platter for two is well worth trying. Very enjoyable.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“I was an ignorant Devonite, the service was fantastic!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I came here for lunch with my girlfriend (upon her recommendation) and her parents. It wasn't busy when we entered but it filled up very quickly - nonetheless the service was, without fail, prompt and friendly. It's very well decorated (although I imagine the low seating could be a problem for some people).

I was a little nervous about ordering because I wasn't sure how to pronounce any of the items, or in fact how to use chopsticks (this is where being from Devon comes in of course :P) but the waitress was very helpful, she explained everything without being patronising, and recommended dishes. I was relieved that the food comes with a fork as well as chopsticks, without having to ask. All our food came promptly. I had the vegetarian Khao Pad which was absolutely delicious, my mouth is watering even thinking about it! Good portion sizes, as well.

Once we had finished, although it was very busy and there weren't very many servers, our dishes were taken away promptly and again the waitress recommended items from the dessert menu. We all had Vietnamese coffee (I think...) which, again, came promptly and was very nice.

Bill came promptly too, and we left very satisfied!