“Brings A Daughter To Tears”

The Merchants Hotel
Ranked #104 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Through circumstances beyoned my control we booked his hotel thorugh boking.com. I travelled to Manchester with my 11 year old daughter to see the 1D concert. My daughter was just discharged from hospital and was hit or miss wether we would go but she begged me to take her as it was her birthday present.
As soon as we arrived down a dirty back alley where people wearing security T shirts were drinking (it was 1pm) I had my doubts. As we approached reception I rang the buzzer and was let in. We past two young ladies on the stairs who both said "disgusting" and " never again"
As we climbed the dirty stairs an overwhelming smell hit me, and then to the make shift reception. The first question I asked was "is this ok for my daughter". To which the reply was fine as I heard the sound of people shouting, maybe fighting. We dropped our bags off. As soon as we got outside my daughter started crying saying she was scared and didnt want to go back.
We reclaimed our luggage, luckily the Travelodge had a cancellation so she could rest. We are now fighting to get some of our money back. Disgraceful. Ive stayed in better hostels

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Rob O

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel is not for a romantic break, nor is it for people who like the finer things in life. The hotel looks like someone bought it as a "fixxer upper" and never got round to doing the work. The overall look of the hotel is old and weathered. In our room the wallpaper in the bathroom was coming off the walls and the shower itself was pretty weak, but it was hot and it worked. You dont get the standard tray of toiletries here, just a couple of bars of soap (our shower had an open/used soap bar in it, which i binned). I had to ask for toilet roll as our room was not resupplied during our 3 night stay.

The room was very basic but we had a TV and tea/coffee facilities. Considering the location being band in the middle of the city it was actually surprisingly quiet. The bed was comfortable and clean.

The continental breakfast consisted of tea/coffee, cereal, yogurts, apple/orange juice and bread for toasting. Hardly continental but it is included in the price of the room so its worth popping down if you are around between 0800 and 1000hrs.

The staff were friendly and helpful, so no complaints there.

All in all, if you just want a bed and a roof for a budget weekend city break (ie somewhere to sleep off a hangover) then this place will do, if you have ever stayed in hostels then you will be fine here.

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have toilets, so be sure to book an ensuite.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Johnny T
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I know the saying is "you get what you pay for" but I've stayed in hostels for £20 which have been cleaner than this place, hot tap didn't work, lock on the door looked like it had been forced at some point and took 5 mins to lock on our way out for the night, what I'm hoping was red crayon on the wall, a nice squashed bug stuck to the wall and a lingering smell of poo about the hall way. The only good point is its central location. Seriously guys, don't do it to yourselves.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katie S
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Stupidly did read the previous reviews but thought it's only 1 night did not sleep a wink and do not think when you order a room with a shower that it's ensuite as I did you share a toilet with an entire floor i.e in excess of 20 guests!! Toilet covered in faeces the rooms are appalling windows do not shut so you get no.

This hotel should be bulldozed down to the ground. The room actually had a shower cubicle in the middle of the room, no privacy what so ever. Shower wasnt used as it was stone cold and you were lucky if a few dribbles of water came out. I would have rather slept on the street than in this hotel. Worst experience of my...

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stupidly did read the previous reviews but thought it's only 1 night did not sleep a wink and do not think when you order a room with a shower that it's ensuite as I did you share a toilet with an entire floor i.e in excess of 20 guests!! Toilet covered in faeces the rooms are appalling windows do not shut so you get no sleep due to the noise outside our bed was broken the double room is so small that you could not swing a cat!! Our daughter was in a single room & had to come into ours the smell in her room was so bad reported it to reception who stated no other room as full [lots going on in Manchester that weekend] rooms so bad we slept in our clothes and most definitely would not even attempt to eat any breakfast at the risk of food poisioning reported to environmental health this place is that bad do not stay even an hour!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I'd have rather slept on the street than waste my money sleeping here. The window was broken, the doors didn't lock, the bed linen was filthy and the walls had holes in...not to mention the thick grime on the shared shower. I wouldn't go back here even if someone paid me to.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank maxiemooey
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This hotel should be bulldozed down to the ground.
The room actually had a shower cubicle in the middle of the room, no privacy what so ever. Shower wasnt used as it was stone cold and you were lucky if a few dribbles of water came out. I would have rather slept on the street than in this hotel. Worst experience of my life. Staff at the hotel didnt care, werent that bothered and did nothing about it. Pillows were as thin as crackerbread, also requested a hairdryer, im still waiting, it never made an appearance.

Breakfast was included, but I declined. I dread to think.

Please do not book into this place!
Just pay extra and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Dont book this hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends