“How is this place still open !!!”

The Merchants Hotel
Ranked #101 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“How is this place still open !!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This hotel should not be allowed to be open it was the worst place I'd ever walked into in my life , we checked in went to our room looked around and walked out our day was spoilt due to this as we ended up coming home this hotel should not be under the title of hotel but maybe a hostel for the homeless , the word dirty was to good for this place and I really feel someone from high rank inspectors needs to visit it !!!
I rated this a one but in honestly I wouldn't of even give it a one!
To anyone looking at this "hotel/hostel" to book a room I really advise you look some where else , Awful !!!!!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is the email I sent to booking.com, and this was our experience at 'Merchants Hotel' Manchester. We stayed at this 'hotel' on 7th December for one night. As saw it advertised on your website, I urge you to take it down unless you are willing to go into this 'hotel' and take a look. We turned up to this dump, had to pay upfront the manager wouldn't let us look at the room first. No wonder, the door was smashed in, there was human faeces smeared all over the walls! A dusty bulb that was more than dangerous hanging with live wires from the wall above the bed. The window was all cracked and wouldn't shut, a broken chair and a metal frame hanging from another wall which I'm guessing was a wardrobe. The carpets looked like they'd never seen a Hoover. The toilet which was situated outside the room had no light was pitch black, dirty and had no toilet roll. There for I went down to complain to the man behind the desk about the state of the room and how me and my partner didn't feel comfortable staying here as our friend booked it for her birthday we thought it would be alright. He then started getting angry and abusive and shouting and telling us if it wasn't up to our 'standards' to get out of the hotel. We had just drove an hour to get to this hotel and didn't expect to pay 50 pounds for it to turn out like it did. We asked for another room, he replied it was full even though it wasn't because the rooms down our corridor was empty. He asked for the key but I said no because we had already paid and had no where to go and he wouldn't give me the money back, he said If I wasn't happy to go back and see the manager in the morning, we was forced to stay here as we had no where to go that night it was to late to get anywhere else, us only being the age of 20-21 and young girls we felt very intimidated and felt like we couldn't leave the hotel to go out because we thought something would happen to our belongings. I then went to the desk in the morning and to our surprise it was him again sat there. No Apology was given or any sort of discussion about what happened the night before. Since this nightmare of a night away, we have recently been looking at the reviews for this and it is nothing but bad complaints. I have never stayed somewhere so run down, dirty and such poor hygiene and bad mannered staff in my life. I am very disappointed and would like some sort of explanation as to why this is being publicised on the internet as a clean cheap hotel, which it is far from. I expect an email or a call from the management at booking.com or an email, otherwise I will be sending the photos and this email to trading standards, if something isn't done.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jodiehaughton

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

No towels. Filthy. Sime guy at desk who is angry because your flight was delayed. Really bad hotel for no reason.I prefered to use railway station locker to store my luggage and not to leave it hotel. Room looks like it was damaged durong ww2 and never fixed since then.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank alex12345677
Lancashire
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

What can I say? This place has got to be the worst I have ever stayed in..!
On approach there are major roadworks / renovations at the entrance (nothing to do with hotel) and the partition wall leading to the door is clearly being used as a urinal, it stank!
Reception was a cupboard in a very scruffy landing. Checked in very quickly tho.
Then to my room.. Number 5 OMG this was like going back in time. First thing of note was the broken vanity unit in the corner of the very bare room. No en suite I'm afraid. There was a pathetic effort of a TV on the wall which I later established didnt actually work. This was above an old bedside cabinet that must have been found in a skip that had tea/coffee facilities. I found the kettle switched itself on after 10 mins after I climbed back in bed thinking it didnt work. The lack of furniture was apparent.
No towels supplied. Not that I dared use the shared shower facility it was rank..!
The breakfast was a joke, I didn't bother..
The location is great right on the doorstep for shopping in Arnadale/ pimarni/ debenhams. Very close to bus / train stations.
Not suitable for disabled/ wheelchair users as reception is on the first floor and no lift.
I paid £38 for a double, they should have paid me to stay. It was diabolical!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

The room was warm, the two staff I saw were polite,the hotel is in a perfect location for city centre, phones 4u arena etc. That's where the positives end.
After finding the entrance at the side of the building, in an alley way strewn with urine soaked rubbish, the door leads up urine smelling stairs to a landing with a little booth. The attendant was pleasant enough and gave me key, fob for late night entry and confirmed breakfast times. We were in room 3. I'd read reviews on here before and dreaded the state of the room. The door knob key hole was very loose and I was worried about it not locking, but that wasn't the case, it was fine. The room was very basic, as expected for what I had paid, but budget cost should not mean you should expect dirty, and the room was disgusting. I have photos! The walls had water/drip marks on, the carpet hadn't been hoovered and under the bed hadn't been touched for seemingly months. The wall light didnt work and the bulb was covered in thick layers of dust and cobwebs. There was a tv, which worked, but the kettle had to be taken over to another wall to be plugged in as the socket had something jammed in it. The mattress was thin, lumpy and I never slept a wink. The pillows were extremely thin and one was bloodstained which could be seen through the case. There were no towels. The shower was minging. Thick black mould inbetween the tiles and around the tray. The pipes were dirty and dusty in the bathroom and the floor was like a fun house floor - rickety and bouncy. The toilet bowl was clean but the seat hinges made me heave. There was a cracked window in the bathroom, not been cleaned in years by the look of it. The bedroom window was similar, old sash windows but filthy. Nowhere to hang clothes apart from two hooks on the bathroom door. The bed was very low and there were no bedside cabinets/tables, so my specs and phone went on the floor. The breakfast room was spacious. Breakfast consisted of a choice of 6 cereals, 2 types of bread to toast, apples and bananas and 3 different juices. Tea, fresh and sachet coffee. This may seem ok, but on the website there is a picture of bagels! The tables were clean but the carpet in there is awful. The whole place needs sandblasting, updating and decorating and soon!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christine J
coventry
Reviewed November 29, 2013

For a one or two night stay in the heartbeat of Manchester you cannot and will not beat the Merchant. Comfy, clean, ideally situated and the breakfasts are incredible. Ignore the reviews about the cleanliness of this superb hotel. If you want 5* star pay for 5*. The entrance is at the moment by a building site but that wont be there forever. Yes the entrance does attract people who want to sneakily go to the toilet and we did encounter this when we were returning from our night out but hey it was 2am who cares where who's toileting at that time? I would highly recommend this for couples on a romantic break and friends on a night out

Room Tip: Room 20, double bed and a fantastic shower
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ant84
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I needed a room at short notice and cheap. I found this and I didn't ecpect a great deal for the price. I wasn't disappointed.

Stuck down an alley way and up stairs, I had to buzz to be let in. The receptionist seemed disinterested. The room was small, a wooden rickety framed bed with 1 flat pillow that I had to bump up with clothes behind and a duvet that was too small. Lousy night, bad back since.

The TV was not tuned. Not quite sure how they expect you to watch it as it an old bulky portable set with no Freeview and as much as I tried, could not get any channels. At least the room's heating worked.

Continental breakfast. Range of juices, tea, coffee, milk. Make your own toast and selection of cereals. Can't fault that too much. Internet cafe available, but I didn't take advantage.

Personally unless totally desperate, I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: City Centre, not quiet if you like that.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo