“girls nite out”

The Merchants Hotel
Ranked #104 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Well what to say, was dreading going after reading the reviews, but have to say was`nt as bad as we thought, What can you expect for £45 for the night, Yeah the room was dated and tired, but the bed was clean and comfortable, we both slept well. The room was heated all day and night, ideal location for everything, all I can say is if you want 5* pay 5* prices !! Would deffo go again if we ever go overnight again

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jules195582

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in October. Outside the hotel is pretty mirky with a few dodgy people haging around. Once inside it does improve a bit. Reception staff were helpful, my room was on the first floor, the shower room is on the third floor so again not ideal, but hey, I was a man on his on so did not present any real issues. My room was okay in size, it was outdated, a bit manky.

Location is top drawer, just off Piccadilly Gardens and thats why at £22 a night for me, I cannot be too harsh. At that price in a city centre, I didnt expect the Ritz and I didnt get the Ritz.

Would I go back, I have booked for another Man Utd match in November and will be staying here

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank IanBoyd
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Absolutely filthy place. Central heating not working, rooms run-down and filthy, hard to persuade rude staff to give out towels, vomit on doorsteps, lousy breakfast--and a constant feeling of insecurity.

Room Tip: Don´t even consider it!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank luckyhunden
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We arrived at the merchants hotel last night and were first greeted by the dark stinking alley way leading to the entrance. Once inside things did not improve. The whole place just had a horrible feel to it..
The man on reception was polite enough and pointed us towards our room. Our double ensuite room (number 6) was dirty, dusty, had blood spatter up the walls, and smelled old and musty. It reminded me and my partner of something out of a horror movie. Although the bed did appear to have clean bedding on, it wasn't very inviting. The windows were falling to bits. The ensuite bathroom was even worse with a filthy shower cubicle, filthy shower door, massive cobwebs, the floor had never been mopped, and the pipe work was dirty. There were no towels provided either.
We heard 2 people come up to our floor to the next door room and from their reactions I can only assume their room was as bad if not worse.
As we were due to be at a gig and had no time to book somewhere else, so we decided to stick it out, leave our bags there, and just get our heads down on the evening and leave early the next day. We had planned to change before we went out, but the room was so bad we went to the gig in the clothes we travelled to Manchester in. We would have got out of the shower dirtier than we got in anyway.
On our way out it took quite a while to lock the room door and we were worrying about our belongings being safe there.Luckily for us the gig we went to ended earlier than anticipated so we decided to take the safer option (even though it meant losing out on our £50 fee) and went to pick up our bags then headed home on the last train. There was nobody on reception so we just left our key on the desk.
My advise to anybody is to avoid the place!
Take the advise of all the people who have written reviews. Save yourself the hassle. There are better, fairer priced hotels about so book them instead.

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank Buster1405
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Ok so first off the hotel's location is excellent, it is right on the Picadilly shops. You have to go down a small alley to get to the hotel & then up a flight of stairs to reception.

The receptionist was really welcoming & pleasant. I can only imagine that he must be running the place completely alone as I saw no other staff while we were there.

The rooms were ok, we had no remote for the tv so it was hard to reach around the back of it ( bolted to wall) every time you wanted to change channels. Tea & coffee was provided & extra given at request. The carpet was dusty & there was only a bed & a coffee table for furniture. It reminded me a bit of a bedsit.

I understand that you get what you pay for but cleanliness is a must no matter the price. The bed was clean & sheets which was what mattered to me!

Breakfast was adequate a good selection of cereals & toast, tea & coffee. It's such a shame that more effort is put into the upkeep, the receptionist was dealing with the front, breakfast & I'm guessing the rooms as well. I'm not sure if I would stay again but I can't rule it out.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank April J
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Hotel was ideally located in town centre. The room was clean and the bed comfortable the sheets
were also clean. Tea and coffee making in the room did not stay for breakfast as I had a train to catch. For the price could not fault.
Staff very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Room 2 Good room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Myself and my wife stayed in this hotel in September 2013 as a couple. We booked a double room with en suite via Booking.com at £56 inc breakfast.

The hotel is centrally located, just of Oldham Street. Picadilly Gardens and the Arndale Centre are a couple of minutes walk away and the Northern Quarter is seconds away. The location is great.

The hotel and rooms are very tired and have been poorly decorated. Our room had a double bed and a small single bed. The sheets were clean and the beds were comfortable.

The paintwork and carpets were extremely worn and the "hotel" gives more of an impression of a hostel.

We did have an en suite, with shower, sink and toilet. This was fit for purpose although wasn't particularly clean.

We did have to request towels, as these are not provided otherwise.

There were tea/coffee making facilities in the room along with a tv.

Breakfast was included however, we didn't opt for this (cereal and/or toast).

As we were going to a gig and knew we didn't require the room for more than a bed to sleep in, we went for the cheapest and most central hotel possible. For this, it was ideal and we didn't expect much. If you are expecting the décor and cleanliness of a Travelodge etc then do not stay here and then moan! If you go cheap, then you are not going to have 5 or even 3 star luxury!

Room Tip: We had room 11, which was to the rear of the hotel (away from the road)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple