“Horrific. Health Hazard. Cleanliness costs nothing.”

The Merchants Hotel
Ranked #104 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel to discover the entrance lurked up an alleyway, blocked by maintenance works. There was a pungent, repulsive smell of urine on the lead up to the entrance so we were put off straight away. Buzzer system to gain entrance to the building, we were then greeted by an old stair case with poor old-fashioned decor. Greeted at reception by two men, neither introduced themselves, and were given the key to our room & directions - there was an old musty smell hanging around the entire building. The stair case was covered in mould & mildew and the wall paper was hanging off of the walls.
On gaining entry to the room, we discovered a poorly decorated tiny bedroom with a cheap double bed & sink in the corner, with the curtains closed. On opening the curtains we discovered 2x 2litre bottles of juice, half consumed which clearly belonged to the previous customers on the window sill. The window was open, letting in the putrid smell of urine from below and the paint on the window surrounds was peeling off. This theme continued throughout the room and in the communal toilet and shower area.
Naturally, due to the dishevelled appearance of the hotel & what we had found on entry to the room we pulled back to duvet only to discover that dirty, stained, used sheets remained on the bed. The room also failed to provide towels. The carpets were stained and filthy also.
We ventured back to the 'reception' area to complain & were provided with an apology & a promise that amendments would be made before our return after the concert that evening.
After our concert in the evening, we returned to the hotel to a poorly lit hallway & room to find that the bed sheets had been changed, thankfully. However our sleep was awful due to the lack of comfort provided by the bed and the noise of the work men outside at 7.30am. I can honestly say I felt scared to sleep as it felt like something from a horror movie and the poor lock on the door provided next to no feeling of security.
In the morning, we decided not to even bother showering as we felt we would come out of the shower dirtier than we went in. There was also smears of excrement on the toilet walls which I consider to be absolutely unacceptable.
I realise that this was a cheap stay for a hotel in Manchester, but surely there should be some form of hygiene standard provided? In my opinion cleanliness should cost nothing. I would recommend that every one should avoid this hotel at all costs, it's a health hazard.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank tinykj

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Entered via aside alley full of rubbish and graffiti. Were buzzed in. Stairs. Toxic smell. Too hot. More stairs. Small room. Shower 2m from bed with no curtain - classy! Broken window pane. Dirty bed. No window lock. No towels. One cup. Water lurking in kettle. Poor lock on room door. Shared toilets. No secure place to store bags. Randomers using "internet cafe" had full access to the building. Breakfast looked dire. Creepy staff asking about my friend's sexual preferences.

DON'T STAY HERE. Felt extremely unsafe.

Room Tip: Go to the Britannia Sachas across the road!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank gee m
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I was horrified upon entering hotel to smell urine. Carpet was dirty and stained as were walls. They had pieces of paper stuffed around pipes to cover holes. They provided no towels in my room, and instead of a teacup they provided a dish (I wouldn't eat or drink anything from there).
Noise all night from street below drunks coming out of pubs.

Since Manchester was packed that weekend, I decided to stay that night. Next day I discovered Bedbug bites, I'm sure from there. I had already left Manchester so couldn't complain. Wanted to get out as soon as I could as place was depressing.

I am demanding a refund from the hotel. Guy at reception was pleasant, but didn't make up for the horrid conditions of the hotel. It seemed more like a homeless shelter than hotel. Web sites are very misleading. I urge Booking.com and Venere to drop their listing.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in this hotel, but if you have to stay here, ask for one away from the stree...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank tonysdca
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We arrived after having to search a bit. It's quite easy if you know your bearings but as the road was closed off and its down a back alley we took a while locating it. There are nearby car parks. We were greeted with a friendly guy at reception who checked the room before letting us in.
The room was basic but the bed was moderately comfortable (if a little low) and the bathroom was grotty but clean as I would expect in an old building. We didn't spend much time in the room tbh so I couldn't really be offended too much. A mug was dirty & missing a cup but he was happy to replace these. No towels but we brought our own as we never expect to have these provided for us. Not that noisy, no more than you would expect in the middle of a busy city.
We found the breakfast room to be pleasant and the breakfast a little basic but nice. (Just cereals and toast, tea coffee and juice offered)

All in all, it wasn't as horrible as a lot of these reviews make it out to be. You pay cheap, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank LissaSoph
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I booked this hotel through booking.com as I needed somewhere cheap to stay during a conference and the pictures appeared basic but clean!!

BIG MISTAKE

Although centrally located, the hotel is run down and dilapidated - more akin to a derelict nursing home. My room was dirty including used tea making facilities and someone else's soap in the shower (hinting it had not been washed).

After my first night sleep I noticed a blood stain on the bed sheets - unfortunately I had not checked the sheets the night before and did not know whether it was fresh. The following day I noticed a rash appearing over my torso. By the day of check out I was covered in bites - over 100 including over my face and neck. When i confronted management I was greeted with what appeared to be a rehearsed and expected explanation - they hotel ARE FULLY AWARE of the bed bug situation and are giving NO WARNING to patrons as they worry this is BAD FOR BUSINESS.

Apparently the rooms are being treated but I am awaiting confirmation from Manchester council!!

To add further insult to injury as there are NO wardrobes in the hotel I have found bed bugs in my house in London (even after thorough boiling of clothes, vacuuming and alcohol wiping the suitcase) and have had to pay £98 for the privileged of having my home fumigated.

I am in extreme discomfort and although received my money back from the hotel I am still awaiting any compensation regarding fumigation.

My advice - just pay more!! No value for money is worth the physical, emotional and financial distress!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Kate V
Reviewed April 16, 2013

me and my friend booked this hotel purely on the basis it was cheap, and by the 'fooling' pictures on the Internet looked relativity nice, until we 'stupidly' read the reviews after our booking and was less than 5 days prior 'so we couldn't cancel' we where mortified by what people where saying, and expected the worst!
When we arrived we where absolutely mortified at how horrible it was from the outside, was in a very run down area and there was lots of building work going on, we didn't even want to stay!! It was like something out of a horror movie, no exaggeration! You are greeted by lots of stairs as you walk in, customer service was okay I guess, the man helped me with my bags! But overall me and my friend could t wait to leave, we felt very uneasy & unclean! The rooms were very basic, but unclean and unstable! I really wouldn't recommend this hotel, it's borderline horrible! It's worth paying slightly more money to be able to feel safe.
How they charge near enough 60 a night is absolutely beyond me....

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Hannahlufc
Reviewed April 12, 2013

'When you arrive you will experience a personal service and a relaxed atmosphere. Our hotel has everything you need for a delightful stay, we invite you to experience the luxury of being treated like Royalty.'
This is what the hotel claims to offer, and was what I expected after looking at the images of the hotel. The reality is far from this
However, when me and my friend arrived,we were left unattended at the reception, after eventually checking in, we were then shown out room (which was on the floor above the reception) we were offered no help with our suitcases, which were two large heavy suitcases). When shown our room we were not shown were the toilet was, nor given any information about where anything was, breakfast etc.
The first thing I noticed wrong with the room was the unstable looking ceiling, then I noticed a broken window which wouldn't shut properly and was covered in mould, there was a dirty sink, make up/who knows all over 3/4 walls, there was no mattress protector on the bed combined with bed bugs. The carpet was filthy and covered in all sorts of stains and chewing gum marks.There were wires hanging everywhere, and suspicious looking marks on our skirting board, also the only lamp in the room was so coated in dust it made no difference when turned on.
The room looked like no-one had made any effort to clean it for our arrival, nor for anyone elses arrival for the last few years by the look of things.
Whilst I left my friend to ponder if we were going to stay in this place, i went looking for the toilet. The toilet on the floor we were on wasn't in order, so I had to walk up yet another flight of stairs and across the building to find the toilet, which had a dodgy lock, little toilet roll, urine and faeces on the wall and a terrible smell coming from it. There was no running hot water either coming from the taps.
When i returned from the toilet, i thought we were in room 4 so i opened the door with our key, however when i opened the door i realised that it wasnt our room, for 2 18 year old girls travelling on their own this was diabolical. IF I COULD OPEN SOMEONE ELSES ROOM WITH OUR KEY, THE THEY COULD DO THAT TO US.
After this we decided to leave, the man at reception laughed at us when we told him our problem and refused our refund, so we had to pay £109 for a different hotel that evening.
Since this the hotel have ignored all my calls and emails asking for a refund.
I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to stay here, its completely inhabitable

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends