The Merchants Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Abel Heywood(Manchester)
Mal Maison Hotel(Manchester)
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The rooms looked nice in the website !!!
Oh so deceiving room was filthy , not cleaned as urine was still in a wobbly toilet, window was broken, dangerous and weak, heating was broken , mouldy and filthy walls .
Went to try a shower and I broke down in tears it was soo bad even the bed was unstable.
I have never been so deceived!! Drunks kept urinating up main hotel door as it looked like a dirty alley :(

Only stay if your desperate!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank ozzetteHull
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed for one night at this hotel in November 2012. The customer service and the breakfast was fine, except for the state of the carpet in the breakfast room which was full of mould and looked decades old. The main reason for my 'poor' rating is the temperature of my room. The heating was broken and there was only one, thin duvet which meant that I slept in my coat and jumper which is totally unacceptable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Heather W
Reviewed March 23, 2013

When i booked this the hotel looked very nice on the website. which is quite decitful as none of the rooms are that nice or clean.

When we were given our room key the room had not been cleaned, it was filthy and had stains everywhere. The man on reception did appologise and upgraded us to a ensuite double.
As the basic double had shared bathrooms.

this room was cleaner, but could not shower as the shower was filthy. No towels or toliet paper!

we got changed and spent the night out. The whole place smelt of damp. It was not a pleasant stay.

We were then told we would have to move back to our original room as they were fully booked.
the room was slightly cleaner, but smelt and you couldnt close the window and it was freezing.

As we only live an hour a way we cut our losses and came home.

It is not value for money and very basic not what i expect from a hotel at all.

This was supposed to be a nice treat for my boyfriend and turned out to be a bit of a nightmare.

the location is good and could be a good hotel if they spent the money on fixing it up.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lady_lolo86
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Disgusting rooms bathrooms not clean i didnt even stay the night I walked in and walked out.

Price is not justified I would probably put this down as a hostel not a hotel cant see why any normal human being would stay in such a rats den.

The guy on the reception was rude and i should of known by his hygiene that the hotel was going to be a scene off a horror movie.

For £49 i would recommend elsewhere

Its just not worth the money. Close this joke of a business down.

Room Tip: my tip is to move onto a different hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura S
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here on new years eve, saw the reviews and nearly cancelled the whole night due to the lateness, but stuck it out and it wasnt awful, the guys that worked there were quite a laugh and couldnt do enough for you within reason, only paid £35 was a place get your head down after the night night out, all in all you get what you pay for!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends