“Not To Bad”

The Merchants Hotel
Ranked #105 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here on new years eve, saw the reviews and nearly cancelled the whole night due to the lateness, but stuck it out and it wasnt awful, the guys that worked there were quite a laugh and couldnt do enough for you within reason, only paid £35 was a place get your head down after the night night out, all in all you get what you pay for!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Marc H
There are newer reviews for The Merchants Hotel

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed in this dump mid-week. I paid £79 for a room with no towels, no wardrobe, no shelves, no dressing table, no soap, no shampoo, no lock on the window (making it impossible to close the window). Stains on the wall in the room and the toilet.
There is an EXIT sign above the door as you enter. Put this sign to its best use and EXIT as quickly as possible.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are the best. Thats because they are in another hotel across the street, squ...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank suntraveller8
Reviewed March 2, 2013

i made the huge mistake of reading the reviews after booking the hotel. these reviews seriously put me on edge about staying there. upon arrival the man at reception was polite and smiled, yes there are some stairs and shared bathroom if you go budget like i did. the room was small with a wash hand basin. the bed was clean and actually comfortable enough to sleep in. the room having a tv was an added bonus i was not expecting. there was also damp running from the ceiling down the walls. overall yes it doesnt look great but for the £32 i paid i wasnt expecting the ritz. and it was enough for me to sleep in.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Simon Y
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Me and my friend stayed for one night and when we left we both realised money had gone missing from our purses since that morning. We had only left our rooms (and locked the door) to go to the breakfast room, at no other time has we been away from our belongings. We also never received our £5 key deposit back. Do not leave valuables in the room... even locked!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Hannah_bdjc
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was very cautious upon reading the reviews posted advisor. On arrival, i noted the entrance was restricted due to majur building wprks on the next door building. once inside, the entrance and stars were clean and tidy and appeared to have been recently re- carpeted. I asked to see my room prior to filling in any paperwork. My single economy room was basic but clean and tidy. When the helpful recepttionist asked if my room was ok, i said fine but a few stairs to climb. Reception said the hotel was full but that i qould be given a free upgrade for my second night. This room was fine too. For what i paid for my two night stay in the centre of Manchester, i was mpr han happy..

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank ronniestevenston
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I booked 2 nights (not consecutive) and on arrival I was shocked at just how appalling this was, but it was late and I'm not a complainer so i got my head down. The next night I arrived and I asked specifically not to be put in the same room, the list of issues are too long, but the rooms did not have a toilet and people had clearly been urinating in the sink that was in the room. I was un aware that the toilets were shared and the nearest toilet was not only covered in excrement but was a fair walk away by the stair wells, 1 toilet for god knows how many rooms. The offered me another room which was even worse, and then said "sorry sir really you need to upgrade" - and pay more. The cost of the standard room was £34 and frankly speaking it was how you imagine a homeless shelter to be. To top it all the hotel then charged my credit card company and claimed I didn't show up. This was no error and the hotel fought vigorously to keep the £34. After 3 months I finally got my money back.

This hotel is an utter disgrace!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are several hotels near by that are actually quite good for similar money...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ChrisAPreston_UK
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The first thing we noticed, prior to even stepping inside the hotel was that the door had been boarded up and looked like it had been kicked in. The entrance is on a urine-smelling alleyway, which at night is far from inviting.

The inside of the hotel stinks of stale smoke and dust and the hallways are in a state of disrepair.

The worst thing however was the state of the room. There was a dirty sock, beer can and god knows what else under the bed. There was a sanitary towel in the light fitting, and the whole place looked like it had never been cleaned.

We slept in a sleeping bag on top of the sheets to prevent catching something.

I wouldn't recommend this hole to anyone who doesn't want to contract some sort of disease just by being there.

I've paid far less for a travelogue which looked like the ritz in comparison. I can't actually believe this place has not been shut down!

• Stayed: August 2012