“Fascinating”

Ranked #9 of 189 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: From our historical collections to international contemporary art, we aim to bring fresh perspectives, encourage conversation and spark debate. Explore our collections of fine art, spanning six centuries and including many major modern and contemporary pieces. We are famous for 19th century British paintings, particularly our outstanding collection of Pre-Raphaelite works. Our decorative arts collections showcase the artistry, tastes and techniques of every era and culture, from ancient civilizations to today’s designer makers. Our collections of ceramics, silver, glass, furniture and costume are especially fine. We constantly renew and update our collections displays so you should discover something new every time you visit. And, we're free to visit!
Reviewed May 9, 2014

Really impressive, I'd say charming, full of unique paintings of important and even minor painters. It's free so I truly think it is worth a visit. Really interesting temporary exhibition by Joana Vasconcelos.

2  Thank Erica_Lauteri

Reviewed May 8, 2014

Very disappointed to see the cafe with nothing but off white paint on the walls.
This is an ART gallery - surely the cafe should be at least a little colourful?
Why dont you get some local artists in to brighten it up a bit ?
I could have done the job with a few cans of coloured paint...........

1  Thank QuirklyandLiL
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Thought I would pop in and take a look not being particularly clever and arty thought well give it a go. I am glad I did.

Its nice relaxing and peaceful it had a mixture of contemporary and classical works I particularly enjoyed the Pre-Raphaelite works and some of the landscapes which were so well done I could picture being there in my minds eye complete with sounds and smells.

2  Thank stevoplymouth
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Must watch history of Manchester really interesting, exhibition going on at the time really interesting. Staff were helpful café etc. reasonably priced

2  Thank Kathy S
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Did not pay into the Time Machine Exhibition, but got to see some of the works from the exhibition scattered about the rest of the Museum. Really beautiful building with such stunning artwork in it. Appreciated the donation option instead of paying in - always encourages you to be more generous! Well worth a visit.

1  Thank 550ruthb