“My favourite gallery”

Ranked #17 of 196 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: From our historical collections to international contemporary art, we aim to bring fresh perspectives, encourage conversation and spark debate. Explore our collections of fine art, spanning six centuries and including many major modern and contemporary pieces. We are famous for 19th century British paintings, particularly our outstanding collection of Pre-Raphaelite works. Our decorative arts collections showcase the artistry, tastes and techniques of every era and culture, from ancient civilizations to today’s designer makers. Our collections of ceramics, silver, glass, furniture and costume are especially fine. We constantly renew and update our collections displays so you should discover something new every time you visit. And, we're free to visit!
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I love Manchester Art Gallery. I visit Manchester just once or twice a year on business. My meetings usually end soon after 3pm, giving me enough time to get to the Gallery and have a good look round before it closes at 5pm (most days). Their temporary exhibitions are absolutely brilliant; they've introduced me to some contemporary work I didn't know, or reignited my love for artists I'd seen before. More importantly for me, the last major shows I've seen there have also involved the artist being commissioned to create new works, inspired by the gallery's collection, to hang temporarily in the permanent galleries alongside art from earlier periods. These pieces always make me smile as there's a delightful clash of cultures with usually an element of wit from the artist involved. The shop is also excellent. I visit London and Midlands galleries much more often than this one, but this is definitely my favourite. Lots of praise to the curators!

1  Thank Sosmall07
Write a ReviewReviews (1,750)
All reviews
in 18 reviews
"vogue"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed May 1, 2014

If you find yourself in Manchester on a rainy day then this is a great way to spend it. Take your time wandering through the various galleries and you will discover some real artistic gems. There is modern art that will shock and challenge your thinking, there are old masters that will soothe you, there are classical paintings that will stun you. There is a great educational room for the kids too.

1  Thank Jonathan F
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The Art Gallery is a nice building; you feel well inside. The exhibition is well displayed giving you a notion of different aspects of Art along the centuries. You get also the notion of the different "fashions" in Art. Some of the great art genius are represented in this Museum.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

A good collection well presented. A nice mix of the old building and the new extension. Interesting exhibitions regularly. A manageable sized collection but worthwhile.
The tea room isn't what it was though.