“Love it here!”

Ranked #8 of 175 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: From our historical collections to international contemporary art, we aim to bring fresh perspectives, encourage conversation and spark debate.
Manchester, United Kingdom
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Love it here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

This is a firm Manchester favourite. There are permanent displays and also changing displays so there is always something new to see. I love the classic paintings on the first floor, the information with the paintings is really interesting and best of all it's FREE! You can pay to go in the upstairs gallery and there's a nice cafe downstairs. Easy to spend a couple if hours here.

• Greek first
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“I Like Your Things”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

This is my all time favourite get-away hidey-hole in the city. I usually come here when the city gets a bit too much, and I just need a breather. And it's my go to place for all things Greyson Perry, who I discovered here and finally got me 'into' art. I like the permanent pre-Raphaelite gallery best, it has some amazing pieces. It really understands the city, and does what it can to inform people of it's history. Last year I was joyfully surprised to find little notices stuck on all of the paintings which had been smashed during a Suffragette riot at the height of their movement. Just a small thing, but a lovely respectful token to some very brave women.
I have to admit I'm not a fan of the cafe, but that isn't really the point of coming here. It's a bit pricey and usually packed, but since it's free to get in, I can't say I mind too much.
Thank you to the staff for maintaining my sanctuary to such a wonderful degree.

Visited March 2014
Lymm, United Kingdom
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“You are missing a gem if you haven't been”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

It is a lovely gallery that is constantly changing. It has both traditional and modern artists. If you want to have a look at the height of art scene during the industrial revolution and the creation of the world's first industrial city then this is the place

Visited March 2014
Somerset, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Excellent art, and free!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

Only had an hour to spare in the city after a conference, but I'm so glad I fitted in this lovely free gallery. I particularly like the Pre-Raphaelites and there are some excellent examples - Burne-Jones, Rossetti, Holman Hunt etc. Also modern pieces intermingled in an innovative way. And a wide range of other painti8ngs I didn't have time to see.

Visited April 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“art gallery visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

the freedom to view various painting in peace and quite and be able to appreciate what was on offer exhibiting at the time.
The gallery was clean and presentable and no one looking over your shoulder it was an afternoon visit so was a little quieter.

Visited August 2013