“Lovely afternoon out...”

Ranked #17 of 196 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: From our historical collections to international contemporary art, we aim to bring fresh perspectives, encourage conversation and spark debate. Explore our collections of fine art, spanning six centuries and including many major modern and contemporary pieces. We are famous for 19th century British paintings, particularly our outstanding collection of Pre-Raphaelite works. Our decorative arts collections showcase the artistry, tastes and techniques of every era and culture, from ancient civilizations to today’s designer makers. Our collections of ceramics, silver, glass, furniture and costume are especially fine. We constantly renew and update our collections displays so you should discover something new every time you visit. And, we're free to visit!
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Really enjoyed browsing the various masterpieces in this gallery. I'm not a particularly big art fan but truly appreciate art much more than I ever used to, I think it comes with age! So I had a great time slowly wandering about, I liked the Psirens painting the most. I particularly enjoyed the modern art parts of the gallery / experimental art. I sat in the giant kaleidoscope and had a great time, felt like a big kid. Wonderful day out, would go again,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,750)
All reviews
in 18 reviews
"vogue"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Manchester Art Gallery is well laid out, has changing exhibits and the entry is free! Raqib Shaw's work is inspirational. We found that the longer we looked at a piece the more we saw. There is a video available which includes an interview with the artist, together with a brief demonstration of his method of painting. Other exhibits were varied, fascinating and displayed in a unique manner.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Yesterday they had this awesome spring decoration with daffodils in and around the building. I happened to pass by and went into the gallery. It was free. Thoroughly enjoyed looking at the various epochs. Would come here regularly if i lived in Manchester.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Went a few weeks ago, spent 3 hours in there. Very good range of art from different genres all under one roof. The cafe and shop were also really good. Great location and easy to get to. Great children's activity area and all this for free!

See more reviews
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Been to visit the Gallery today. Impressive from the outside the perimeter fence is festooned with intertwined willow branches and pockets of spring flowers with mixed in moss. This theme extends to the entrance steps and is repeated inside. I am not normally interested in art museums but this was fascinating. Every room was filled with interesting paintings, pottery, carved ivory, furniture, glassware, what a show!
With plenty to see and plenty to touch and look at plus loads to keep the kids happy.
Lots of attentive staff who are not intrusive but very helpful should you ask anything. They didn't seem to mind me taking pictures.
At the moment they are featuring artwork by Raqib Shaw. This is amazing stuff and incredibly attractive. It's a mixture of jewel like, brightly coloured intricate drawings with an Indian flavour. Look closer and hidden images are seen. Some of which is unusually disturbing.
Not stuffy or dull, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute. I recommend it to everyone and will be visiting again.

1  Thank Simon T