“Champagne tea”

47 King Street West Restaurant, Bar & Tea Rooms
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This was a champagne afternoon tea to celebrate a special birthday. The sandwiches, cake, tea and champagne were all lovely, but the setting was not ideal. The restaurant is fine as a dining room, but somewhere more appropriate within the building would have been better for the Tea option.

1  Thank Sharon K

Reviewed January 26, 2014

I just can't fault 47 King St West. We booked for a very special occasion and the management couldn't have been more helpful. I wanted to source some rare wine as a surprise for my friend and they did all the donkey work for me, which is just brilliant - above and beyond good service. I had the sardines to start followed by vension - amazing. Everyone in our party was delighted with their choices. The thing I love about the 47 menu is its simplicity. No need to spend half an hour wondering what you might be missing. We had no room for desserts but had some lovely cocktails instead, and the live music was amazing. It's also great to be able to buy top quality champagne by the glass. It is something of a pet peeve of mine when good restaurants insist you purchase the whole bottle. And as ever the charming staff looked after us perfectly and well deserved the top we left. We'll back back, and we'll bring our frineds!

4  Thank Beksville
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We went here for a family meal last night. Upon arriving we were greeted and had our coats taken. Lovely! We sat down and looked at the menu, the waitress came to take our order without asking if we were ready... we weren't. As she was taking the order, and people were chatting and changing their minds and asking questions about the food, she continuously rolled her eyes as if we were inconveniencing her.
We got the starter fairly quickly, the food was gorgeous and couldn't fault it at all.
The waitress returned and took the plates away, didn't ask how the food was at all, she just took the plates away. Fair enough.
The main arrived, again the food was lovely and everyone was happy. Whilst we were eating, the other waitress was continually walking past and looking in the mirror behind us to check her hair or whatever, I'm not some fussy person that dislikes this behaviour but it's a little off putting when you're trying to eat your meal and she keeps pausing in front of you to look in the mirror.
We finished the main and both waitresses came to take the plates away, again no asking if the meal was ok, or any politeness.
We paid, which seemed to take forever, especially considering there were only a few other people in the restaurant and FINALLY she asked if everything was ok, well we'd already paid by that point so not really valid.
The service is part of the enjoyment of eating out, our experience was ruined due to the lack of so we won't be going back again. Shame.

4  Thank DanniB2014
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Having posted a negative review, I received an email from the restaurant manager challenging several inaccuracies, as he calls them, demanding that I remove it and make an apology. I have therefore resubmitted my review, removing any factual references which can’t be explicitly substantiated and reinforcing any which can.

We went on a Christmas do to this restaurant. It was indicated to us initially that the manager would look to give us exclusive use of the restaurant for our party of around 40 people and here I quote from an email from the manager: “If your party is 40+ then we would offer you the whole venue for your dining session. We would not take other bookings at this time,” however three days before the meal we were informed this would not be the case owing the fact we had 39, not 40 people in our party. We were encouraged to confirm the booking, back in August last year, by the suggestion of exclusive use. When after we arrived we explained that we felt misled, the manager was extremely rude and swore at our friend, using the F-word, to make his point. At least two other members of our party heard this exchange, including the bad language. Our tables were cramped with no elbow room and we were situated right next to the kitchen door. When the food arrived many of us were unsatisfied with it - my beef was over cooked and dry and I didn’t enjoy it, to the extent I couldn’t recall whether it was beef or lamb only a month later. I had an awful experience and I won't be going back. I have discussed my experience at this restaurant with at least half of the members of the party; they all feel the same as I do.

31  Thank MarkusKarlsson-Jones
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I booked this restaurant for a party of 27 people as a works Christmas meal. We generally have problems due to the numbers and either service or food lacked at other venues in order to accommodate us. From my initial enquiry to leaving the restaurant after our meal Barry and his team gave outstanding customer service. The food was delicious and everyone in our party thoroughly enjoyed it. We will definitely be returning here.

1  Thank mrsbutler1980