“A tough one to review!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of 47 King Street West Restaurant, Bar & Tea Rooms

47 King Street West Restaurant, Bar & Tea Rooms
Reserve with OpenTable
47 King Street West Restaurant, Bar & Tea Rooms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #82 of 2,184 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester, England
“A tough one to review!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I visited on Saturday with a table reservation of 645pm so we could take advantage of the fantastic 3 courses and glass of prosecco for £25 per head deal.
Upon arrival we were seated straight away and quickly asked for our drinks order which came promptly. The wine wasn't as cold as we would have expected and mentioned it to the waitress who happily provided us with an ice bucket. The table behind us also commented to her that their wine wasn't chilled enough.
We ordered our food which was simply divine and excellent portions for a fine dining restaurant.
We were never offered our prosecco but pointed it out to our waitress and said we would be happy to receive it over dessert.
Our issue, as with other reviewers on here, was the length of time between courses. It was refreshing not to feel rushed but there was definitely too long between courses. It was expected before dessert as I had the hot choc indulgence pudding and the menu did explain a wait, however it was about 45 minutes, if not longer, between our starter plates being cleared and our mains being served.
I mentioned the delay to the waitress and she asked if we wanted to speak to the manager. We didn't feel the need to but just asked her to bring it to his attention.
He did come over and we explained our opinion and whilst we took his point on board about the table being "ours" for the night, we did have other plans that were delayed because of the timing issues. We told him how delicious the food was but the edge had been taken off the night, just our opinion but something to bear in mind as it also seems in retrospect that others also share our opinion.
Despite our meal being finished when the manager came over and us mentioning our dissatisfaction, we still went on to wait a further 15 minutes for the bill.
I then went up to the bar and spoke to the manager again and felt that he took my comments extremely personally and became very defensive and rude (which is apparent on the lower reviews on here that he has commented on)
Whether my opinion is shared by him, or the other diners, I am still entitled to it and an apology for the delay was all that was required, not him trying to justify it.
What seems like 3 minutes to him to process the bill when he is very busy is actually 15 minutes in real time and resulted in our visit lasting over 2.5 hours which took the experience from feeling "not rushed" to "slow".
The waitress at the end of the evening that took our payment was a delight and a credit to the restaurant and the food was out of this world. The service really did let it down and for that reason we won't return however perhaps midweek or dining when its not so busy, the experience would have been different.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank manchesteruk81

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Wonderful.. One of the best restaurants in Manchester”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I booked 47 King Street West for a dinner with some friends on a Friday night. We are fortunate to eat out often and this was one of the best meals I have had in months.

I had tuna for starter followed by steak, both of which were really wonderful. It wasn't just the food that was great- I loved the service too. The welcome and goodbye had a very family feel and throughout the meal our waitress was a delight. She had a bit of personality without being intrusive.

If I had to find fault in this wonderful place I would 'complain' about the wine (Pinotage- The quality didn't match that of the food) and also the awful side I ordered of Creamy Courgettes! I was recommended these but they were courgettes floating in yucky cream and did not go with my steak at all..... Minor points for what was a wonderful meal.

Bolton, United Kingdom
“The best meal in Manchester by far!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Dined here with two friends and we all agreed it was the best restaurant meal we had had for a long time. Every course was delicious and beautifully presented. I had the Tuna Carpaccio it was so fresh and delicious, followed by the Hake also excellent. I shared the trio of desserts with my friend but I wanted them all they were so lip smackingly tasty. The service was friendly and efficient - perfect. We sat near the window, which was great for people watching. We all agreed we will definetly be back . A wonderful dining experience in every way. We could not fault it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Definately worth a visit if u are staying in manchester”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed in manchester for the wkend & neither of us had been for years so had no clue where to eat in the saturday night. A guide book in our hotel mentioned 47 so we decided to give it a go. We were not disappointed .... the food was gorgeous, in fact one of the nicest main courses ive ever had (i had the lamb), the service was v polite & courteous without being 'stuffy', its not cheap but invaribly u get wgat u pay for ...definately worth a visit!

England
“Amazing tasty food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Ate here last night with the Manchester Gastro Club. Really enjoyed the bold flavours that the chef uses and this is a restaurant I will be returning to! All the courses were delicious. The best meal I have had in Manchester for a long while.

Only two frustrations about the restaurant. One is that as you peer in from the road, it may be off putting as it looks a little like a cafe. A make over might pull in more passing trade. The second is that in a room full of foodies last night no one had eaten here before and the owner seemed almost proud to say they were a hidden gem. This may be endearing and good for me next time I want to book, but I wish they would market themselves better!!