Tripadvisor
Manchester
Post
Inbox
Search

“At last, a French restaurant ”
Review of 63 Degrees

Reserve a Table
Mon, 2/24
8:00 PM
Ranked #185 of 2,819 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our celebrated restaurant is re-opening in bigger and better premises in the former Market Restaurant on High Street in the Northern Quarter. A brand new location. A brand new menu. The same exquisite French cuisine And to celebrate our move, we have new menus and a new wine list. Our goal has always been to bring you a taste of Paris, with dishes such as our Pea consomme and poached quail egg, Pan fried sea bass, Duckling fillet, chocolate fondant and, of course, coffee served at the perfect temperature - 63°. As well as more covers, our wonderful new premises means we can now offer our diners an outside terrace and private function room. One thing that hasn’t changed is our commitment to serving exquisite French cuisine in a relaxed and welcoming environment. We look forward to welcoming you to our new home.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This is truly a French restaurant serving proper French food. I have spent many years looking for a decent restaurant that serves French food and this is as close as you will get since the demise of l'auberge in Fallowfield many years ago. Yes the menu is expensive and it will set you back a bit but that’s the price you pay for quality. Having said that I think £150 for a 3 course meal with wine for two in Manchester these days is not far short of what you would spend at some of the lower end not so fast but please hurry so we can make more money restaurants nearby. Wine is around £8 per glass but that’s comparable with most places in Manchester.
The portions are not massive but the food is of quality and you can actually taste what you are eating. We opened with snails which I followed with the lamb stew. There are other more expensive dishes but I went with the lamb stew and it was rich and full of flavour. Yes you have to order your veg separately but that’s just the way many restaurants seem to operate these days.
If you want a real treat go for the creme brûlée to finish. I was amazed when it arrived at out table flambé style, still flaming so the sugar on top caramelises which it does. This is a hard trick to pull off but it worked perfectly. For me and it is only a matter of taste but there could have been just a touch more vanilla in the creme brûlée as the flavour struggled to come through.
The service here is good and attentive. You are met at the door and shown to your table. Service a steady and you don’t feel rushed or pressured to order. Staff are polite and friendly and do their best to ensure your experience is the best it can be. From what I could see and hear nearly all the staff are French (not Kyle from Ancotes doing a Alo Alo accent) adding authenticity to the restaurant
This was our first visit to 63 Degrees and it was very pleasurable. It was quite apparent that other customers use this restaurant on a regular basis when they are welcomed by the staff and I can see us becoming regular customers here, bank manager and cash flow permitting.
Tip for the best dish, go with the creme brûlée. I’m still trying to perfect the flambé to crisp the caramelised topping.

Date of visit: January 2020
GuestManage, Agencia/asesor at 63 Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello andrew p,

We really appreciate that you took the time to share details about your recent visit to 63 Degrees.We can't begin to tell you how nice it is to hear words of appreciation and praise. We want every single customer that walks through our doors to experience the same level of service. We are beaming with pride knowing that we hit the mark and delivered on everything that we promised. We look forward to your next visit!

63 Degrees

Write a reviewReviews (782)

Reviewed January 10, 2020 via mobile

The food here was excellent, as was the wine! I had scallops and the pigeon burger and it was a taste sensation. The wine we had (I cannot recall the bottle) was absolutely divine and the service was great; the waiter recommended 3 places for a drink after which was lovely. I would definitely recommend and would come again!

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank 488lucyh
GuestManage, Owner at 63 Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2020

Hello Lucy H,

Thank you for the wonderful review and we appreciate the recommendation. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and the service and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed December 21, 2019 via mobile

I have never had a bad meal in this restaurant. I love the food they serve and this is my favourite restaurant in Manchester.

Date of visit: December 2019
GuestManage, Guest Relations Manager at 63 Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2019

Hello christopherpI7246CR,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. We are delighted you enjoyed your meal with us and appreciate your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 18, 2019

I went with my girlfriend for our Christmas dinner yesterday night , everything was fine until the main , they served me a COLD duck breast , ( there was at that time only 3 tables in the restaurant ) so I told the waiter that reported to the manager who came immediately took off my plate from the table (without saying a word , at least apology) and took back to the kitchen , and because I was sitting facing the kitchen I was watching , as soon he got inside the kitchen the manager to check if duck was cold or not put his fingers inside it , but he didn’t realise that I was watching him , so they just brought me back that very same duck just reheated , that was already dry so I let you imagine how it became (it was a stone)plus was touched by the manager without washing his hands, at that point I just gave that back and asked for the bill , so the “ manager “ got even upset, he never apologise to me and brought me the bill where I also realised to be charged 18 pound for not even 150 grams of risotto suggested as a starter from the waiter .... I just paid the bill in full , they didn’t take me off anything (apart from the duck that I didn’t even touche of course ) not even offered us a coffee And not apology at all!!!! So arrogant!!!! THANK YOU FOR COMPLETELY SCREWING OUR CHRISTMAS DINNER , I will not come back not even if you pay me.

2  Thank Danilo G
Reviewed December 14, 2019

I rarely write reviews on TripAdvisor but my wife and I were blown away by this place. Sure, it's not cheap but still a lot cheaper than travelling to France!

63 Degrees' authenticity is down to the fact that it is run by a French family with French staff. The food was naturally on point but the Cocktail de Noël and the Condrieu were something else!

Such great service and conversation. We flicked between French and English without even noticing. We live in Derbyshire but would come back to Manchester just to eat here again.

Merci et joyeux Noël!

Date of visit: December 2019
GuestManage, Guest Relations Manager at 63 Degrees, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2019

Hello Peter J,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are thrilled to hear that you had a lovely time at the restaurant and we a re excited to welcome you again!