“Excellent”

Ranked #6 of 2,356 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Alexandros Restaurant in Manchester offers authentic Greek food inspired by various regions of Greece. We buy our products from well-known for their quality local suppliers, using free range meats, fresh vegetables and fresh fish.
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Recommended to me by colleagues add always try to visit on my frequent visits to Manchester. love the food the the quirky decor.
Prices are reasonable particularly if you arrive before 7. Have tekn several colleagues and they all loved it.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

A group of us visited Alexandros last night for a friend's birthday - we arrived and they'd added some balloons and a banner which was a nice unexpected touch. 4 of the party ordered the Meze and 2 starters and mains. We certainly did not go hungry with the amount and variety of food on our table! Excellent and very tasty! The service could not be faulted - the staff were very friendly! My starter had been missed but an explanation was offered and it came soon afterwards! I would definitely recommend this restaurant - my only criticism would be perhaps the restaurant didn't feel "Greek" in terms of the decor but certainly didn't detract from a very pleasant, enjoyable and inexpensive evening!

Alexandros337, Owner at Alexandros Greek Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Thank you so much for taking your time to review our restaurant. We take all your comments on board. Thank you again.

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Had a great night out with my girlfriend and enjoyed a lovely meal. The restaurant is small and very cosy and gets busy. Well worth a visit as the food is wonderful and complimented with great friendly service. My only criticism was I wanted to feel more Greek. The ambiance was nice, but the restaurant could do more than a few Greek pictures on the walls. All in all though, a great restaurant.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I took my Mum and Dad for a combined Mothers Day and Birthday celebration. Parking is easy if driving. My wife and mum had a litre of the house white, after the waiter had explained where in Greece it had come from, which they both enjoyed. My dad and me had my usual tipple when in Greece of Mythos. We had the meat mezze which was more than enough for the 4 of us - we also took 3 tubs of leftovers. The dolmades and the gigandes were superb. The Chef kept popping out to see if everything was Ok and to update on when the meat dish would be ready. Only criticism for the mezze would be on the meat dish, it only came with salad, and could have done with maybe some rice, and perhaps a little less salad? Service was excellent and wished we had had room for a dessert as they looked fantastic. We would definitely visit again very soon!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

It is a bold statement to make, but my experience of it was superb.

There was a hiccup at the start, so let's deal with that right away. As per the website, I thought the restaurant was open till 9pm on Sunday, and therefore arranged to arrive at around 7.45pm and have dinner with colleagues. Unfortunately, I was only made aware that the hotel was due to close early that day due to being open earlier for mother's day. The owner kindly agreed that if we came by 7.30pm. I was worried when it got to 7.45pm and I hadn't arrived yet, however, they kindly did take our order.

Everything seemed a bit hurried and flustered at the start, with the waitress obviously not happy that we had delayed ordering mains till late on (understandably flustered!), and so there wasn't as many smiles as I would have liked at the start. In fact, I didn't even have enough time to take my jacket off before I had to order the food! But thankfully, everything went incredibly uphill from there. So much so, that at some points I have looking up at a vertical face!

The food:
Starters- We had hummus (9/10), Halloumi (9/10), Feta (7.5/10), Olives (8.5/10), Pork sausage (8/10), Potato Mash (8.5/10). Excellent array of starters, especially for vegetarians. We got quite full after this, but it was really delicious. I would question the need for a block of feta though- but each to their own. You must have the Hummus and Halloumi though!

Mains- Moussaka (10/10) It is rare that I give 10's, but this is worth it. Hands down, the best moussaka I have ever eaten, and one of the best main meals. So many times Moussaka's are made into disgraceful dishes with too much aubergine or too much sauce. Not this time, a wonderful balance and very tasty. Comes with potatos and salad which I didn't really try, but I'm sure are nice.
Alexandros Special (7.5/10)- After the Moussaka this was a bit disappointing, and may be the meat went a little cold. But it is a lot of food, all char grilled to order, and is very tasty. Would be great if served with some hummus as well.

Desserts- Greek Chocolate Cake (10/10)- The reason this place should be number 1 in Manchester is down to the food. We were given the Chocolate Cake on the house, but it was stammeringly mesmeric. A wonderful concoction of light chocolate, integrated with layers of chocolate cream and rich chocolate topping. This was beautiful. it wasn't too right, it didn't make you want to clean your teeth- it was just right. A playful angel dancing in your mouth if you will. I loved it! A truly deserved 10/10- and a big congrats to the sous pastry chef for making it.

Service- Apart from the original flustered appearance, the service from them on was incredibly. The staff were friendly, welcoming and willing to talk. And the great man behind all of this would roam and talk to the guests, give recommendations on food, talk about life- he's a wonderful character and a great gentleman. This adds to the experience here, and was one of the elements that differentiated it's quality compared to other Manchester establishments.

Cost- For 3 with drinks the bill came to £88, which for the amount we ordered (6 starters, 6 soft drinks, 3 desserts, and 4 main courses)- is a bargain!

For me, this is one of the best restaurants I've ever been to! I know why it is so highly rated! Go and enjoy it!

2  Thank SBhatt87