“Fantastic evening out”

Ranked #2 of 2,261 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Alexandros Restaurant in Manchester offers authentic Greek food inspired by various regions of Greece. We buy our products from well-known for their quality local suppliers, using free range meats, fresh vegetables and fresh fish.
“Fantastic evening out”
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We visited here for our wedding anniversary after reading reviews on trip advisor and we weren't disappointed. We opted for the 'full meze' even though we'd read this was a lot of food, we thought it was the best way to sample lots of the dishes. In addition to the dishes on the menu, we were brought a rice and spinach dish to try and considering I don't like either rice or spinach, I found it delicious!
Dimitris, the owner/chef came and spoke to us a few times, he explained to us his ethos for the restaurant is that he wants to treat customers as though they were guests in his home in Greece and the food he serves in the restaurant would be what he would serve at home, hence the large portions as the Greeks have a tendency to 'over feed' their guests.
The waitresses were also very helpful explaining all the dishes as they were served.
The food was delicious and as we were so full by the time the grilled meats were served (one of which was the nicest chicken I have ever tasted) , we took what we couldn't manage home, along with the leftovers from the main course.
As I had barely touched my moussaka, Dimitris didn't want to spoil it by putting it in a take away carton so he gave us the dish and advised it would taste even better the following day, he wasn't wrong !
We were then given a selection of sweets free of charge to take home to try, they were lovely the following day with a cup of coffee.
This restaurant goes to show that you don't need fancy tables, tablecloths etc to have a fine dining experience. The food speaks for itself and we can't wait to go back for more.

1 Thank Elaine G

“Greektastic”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Went here with my wife the other day as came top of the list on TA.

Agree with previous comments about food being excellent. Service was very very good and Dimitri came to speak to us many times throughout the meal to see how we were getting on. He gave us a free chicken dish to try which reminded me of when I lived in Greece once.

We also had two desserts which were very light. The best kadayif I've ever had anywhere, not too sweet and soggy. Just right.

The only downside was the decor. However, this can be overlooked with such good food and service.

Would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Deanophil
San Gwann, Malta
“Best of Mediteranean, in North Europe”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Thank you Alexandro for a fantastic evening. Here in Malta we are fond of our food - so when we say that the Mediterranean food was remarkable, it surely was. I came with my wife and we took the recommended choice - the meze, which could have served another person. It was great that the restaurant added a Moussaka on the house when my wife mentioned that this was her favourite Greek dish. The price was very reasonable and the staff were delightful. I will be in Manchester for the next home match and will definitely be making a reservation at Alexandro’s.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank Stefan B
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Not bad but no way the best in Manchester. Probably isn't even the best in Northenden”
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Like lots of other people we went here because of the TA rating as the best of 702 restaurants in Manchester.

It's not bad but that's it. It's not the management's fault that their customers have voted them the best but don't expect too much.

It's a nice, neighbourhood Greek restaurant and now't wrong with that but it's no way near the top of the tree.

Go anyway and see what you think with the above in mind.

1 Thank Cookiemonster171
Manchester, United Kingdom
“So much tasty food..”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We went last month with a group of people and a few kids. The waitress and chef/owner were lovely and really accomodating to our particular needs (even nipping out to buy some requested pineapple juice). The food was delicious and really authentic.. We ordered far too much. The mezze was huge, the greek salad a definite favourite as well as the Moussaka. I thought greek food was all about lamb but it was mainly beef which was really tasty. Also dishes such as spicy butterbeans which I would not have associated with greek food.

As we had loads of food left over they were more than happy to pack it up for us to take home.

Best meal I've had in Manchester for years. We will definitely be going back (but ordering less) next time.

• Visited September 2012