“you can't please all of the people, all of the time, but!!!!!”

Alexandros Greek Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 2,326 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Alexandros Restaurant in Manchester offers authentic Greek food inspired by various regions of Greece. We buy our products from well-known for their quality local suppliers, using free range meats, fresh vegetables and fresh fish.
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Being someone who loves Greece and all things Greek and living in the Greater Manchester area, I was looking for 'that place', somewhere to make me feel at home, because that is how I feel in Greece, at home.
Alexandros soon came to my notice and I thought I would keep it up my sleeve, a little treat for my wife, to celebrate our 25 years of marriage.
So my surprise for my wife, was, as it turned out, a wonderful surprise for me too.
We loved the atmosphere, Greek music playing softly in the background, pictures on the wall that are to some 'Too Greek', but hey we are in Northenden here, and these pictures are of home to the restaurant owner, Dimitri. He comes from Athens and the pictures are of Piraeus and Athens, so they mean something to him. As for the music? What do you want? Anna Vissi or some rembetika? You can't please all of the people!!!!!! But I didn't book the restaurant based on the music or the pictures, I booked it for the food and the service.

We thought the service from the staff was excellent, very attentive and Dimitri himself the perfect host.
The food was excellent and plentiful. starting with Tzatziki (you can't not) and the spicy Greek sausage, then moving onto Keftedes, which is meatballs in a tomato sauce, for my wife and the Moshari Kokkinisto, beef chunks cooked in a red wine and tomato sauce, with onion, garlic and herbs, for me. For our dessert, we both chose the yogurt, with walnuts and honey.
By the time I'd finished I knew I'd eaten too much, so next time, it will be just 2 courses, but which 2, I don't know.
The wine we had was very nice, but somehow the Mythos never tastes the same here, maybe it's the fact I walked in off a Northenden street and not a Greek beach? Who knows, and frankly, who cares?
Dimitri popped by several times during our meal to ensure we were happy and he appreciated our enjoyment, not for one second taking it for granted. He loved our passion for Greece and especially the mainland and the fact that we recently spent time so close to his home interested him.

To sum up.
You can't please all of the people, all of the time, but......
I absolutely loved it here, sorry WE loved it here and will be back. Value for money and quality food in a nice setting, with excellent service. What more can you ask for? Thank you Dimitri, you are a gentleman!

2  Thank bluestreety
There are newer reviews for Alexandros Greek Restaurant

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Went to this restaurant on Saturday with my family to celebrate my husbands 50th birthday as we love Greek food, it was a little smaller than I had expected, the table had been decorated for the occassion and we got a warm welcome from the staff and owner,we managed to get my husbands birthday cake in the side door without him noticing, we ordered mezes, lots of little dishes were brought and there was something for everyone,and we were aged from 89 to 20 years.

The greek salad was the best I have had and 2nd best was in Kefalonia in May this year, the Stefado and Mousaka were gorgeous. The staff were very attentive and friendly and sang happy birthday to my husband when the firework of a candle was lit, it fizzed like a roman candle, I dont thing anyone in the resturant could have missed it. The resturant also cut the cake up for us and gave it to us as dessert, we also left with a few doggie bags of food that we just couldnt eat that night, it was a very enjoyable meal and a good time was had by all. Thank you Alexandros resturant, a night to remember.

3  Thank nectarine
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Cannot recomment this restaurant enough.Visited here recently with family and thoroyghly enjoyed my evening.From start to finish the servise was excellent.Very attentative and friendly family run restaurant.Portions are huge and the meze menu very tasty.I ll be a regular from now then.

1  Thank paulos l
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Coming from Athens, I can say this was probably closer to the real thing than most Greek restaurants in the UK. There were the necessary adjustments to the local taste and expectations -- tzatziki was toned down, haloumi and loutza were served although Greeks hardly them -- but try the stifado. Value for money, particularly if you consider the inevitable doggy bag, good choice of quality Greek wines, very friendly staff, excellent personable service. The atmosphere is a little uninspired, and there are unsurprising cliches in the choice of music and decor, but not bad at all for a restaurant that apparently opened eight months ago. There is room for improvement though.

1  Thank Michael K
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Very, very, enjoyable place as I have previously said in other reports my wife and I are eating our way through the top ten restaurants listed on Tripadviser for Manchester. This is currently listed as no.1 and we would agree it was great.

We had the small Mezze and the choice was a good one, the selection of the food i.e. the starters and main course were well presented and tasty. Also, the sizes of the portions were very generous.

The reception and service was excellent, all the waitress were very attentive and very helpful. The general décor was simple and contemporary and not that of a traditional Greek Taverna.

So would I go back again, yes, we will try and get there without a car and make a night of it, I have scored this restaurant as a 5, as the general ambience was better than the local Restaurant Nectar whose food was as good.

2  Thank Steve5839