“Really disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

Grand Cafe Waterstones
Ranked #1,043 of 2,184 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Really disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

A colleague of mine was excited about our visit - but what a terrible disappointment.

There was no record of our booking for a lunch time window seat.

The meze to share was possibly the worst meal I have eaten in a public environment - 40% of it was mixed greens heavy in some kind of dressing, a few rock hard bits and pieces, some almost tasteless hummus - (if this was home made, the chef needs to go back into training).

The menu itself was some kind of colour copied piece of paper, there were no business cards so I can't complete the details below - in short one to avoid except for buying books and maybe coffee - although I am not even sure about the latter.

A real shame in one of my favourite City Centre locations.

• Visited October 2012

northerner abroad
“So disappointed in a place I like”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I love this place and go whenever I'm in town, but the food side of it has really gone down since its opening. The staff are always very pleasant and helpful, but the food is dismal nowadays. Today I had a Greek meze plate which said it had a Greek salad and stuffed vine leaves, among other things - the salad had leaves, onions and olives, no feta cheese and no tomatoes, so not realy a Greek salad - also no vine leaves. There were 2 very miserable falafel and a spoonful of horrid rice. The Tzaziki was thin and watery. Altogether totally unforgetable. I complained politely and was given a voucher for a free coffee - I paid £7+ for this and get a coffee?? No, not good enough. I will go again but I will NOT eat there as the food needs seriously sorting out. Shame.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
“Shaky service, great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

While our waitress was (by her own admission) apparently having a "bad day", messing up our drinks orders and forgetting to take our food order, the place still gets five stars thanks to the wonderful, comfy chairs and high-quality food. My mackerel salad was delicious and the burger and fish finger sandwich ordered by the people I was with looked great too. A lovely place for lunch and great for a break from book shopping.

Manchester
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

I really, really wanted 2nd View to be good, because the environment is lovely - comfy, relaxed, and stylish. Unfortunately, the service was abysmal. There was no food menu on our table, yet we had to ask three times before one was brought over (I did go to look at the menu boards behind the bar, but was told to sit down by the lady 'manning' it); then waited another 20 minutes before the waiter returned to take our order.

A lifetime later (God knows why, as the place wasn't jam packed), our mezze platter eventually turned up. It was tasty, if a little stingy on the portion sizes, but staff happily got us a couple of extra pittas.

I'm hoping that our extremely slow service was just a blip, as I would like to return - the food at other tables looked great, but this time, it's just average.

northerner abroad
“I really like this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

The 5 stars are for the staff and the atmosphere. It's a very comfortable space to sit and relax and as a lone female I never feel uncomfortable just popping in here for a glass of wine. The food is okay too, but there's not a great choice - be nice if they had more sandwiches to choose from or some small plates (like tapas). I go quite often and am happy to recommend it to all.

• Visited June 2012