“Very disappointing experience - not recommended!”

Pace Health Club & nuspa
More attraction details
Owner description: nu spa Manchester in the heart of the city centre welcomes you to a haven of peace and tranquillity, a sensory retreat in which to unwind and begin the journey towards total wellbeing. Enjoy full use of the fitness suite, heated pool, sauna and steam room. nu spa Manchester can offer luxurious Dermalogica treatments of your choice, spa days or spa breaks with hotel accommodation and breakfast. The perfect urban oasis! The nu spa Manchester city centre offers an array of relaxing and indulging Dermalogica treatments to suit all needs. We are extremely passionate about wellbeing therefore, a place has been created where both men and women can be pampered with a wide range of spa and beauty treatments. We provide a wide range of Spa Packages and Spa Deals which are tailored to meet your exact needs.
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very disappointing experience - not recommended!”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

My friend bought a spa package as a birthday gift which allowed us both two 40 minute treatments and a day at the spa for £65. We were really looking forward to it and the spa website gave us the impression we could spend the day using their pool and sauna facilities and get lunch there too.

Unfortunately, we got stuck in very bad traffic and arrived at the spa 20 minutes late. Whilst we were stuck in traffic, my friend phoned the spa twice to inform them we were stuck in traffic and that we would try to get there as quickly as possible. The receptionist provided my friend with an alternative postcode to the one I was using which directed us to the MEN Arena / Manchester Victoria station and delayed us further in getting to the spa.

On arrival, there were 5 members of staff stood at reception but we were informed that because we were late, we could only have one 20 minute treatment or two 10 minute treatments. I was extremely disappointed and did not feel the staff were particularly friendly or accommodating, bearing in mind I had left plenty of time to get there and the traffic was out of my control. We opted for a 20 minute hot stone massage which was very good, however as soon as the massage finished we were told to put on our dressing gowns and get out the room as quickly as possible... hardly a relaxing experience!

We then made our way to the pool area, which was freezing. A member of staff brought us a tea/coffee in a paper cup and we were left to use the pool and sauna / steam room for the afternoon. We went back to reception and asked if we were able to purchase a further treatment such as a facial or even having our nails painted (as the voucher gave us a 25% discount off all other treatments), but we were told that they were busy and couldn't offer any further treatments, despite there being 2 members of staff on reception and 2 stood at the nail bar. There was no cafe at the spa and no facilities to get lunch unless we got showered and dressed and made our way upstairs to the hotel. We therefore decided to leave after an hour or so by the pool.

As we left the spa, a female member of staff on reception took our towels and said nothing further. Another member of staff made the effort to ask if we had enjoyed our spa experience and I explained that we were disappointed that we had been penalised for getting stuck in traffic and that they had only been able to offer us a 20 minute massage. The female member of staff sniggered and did not apologise or thank us for coming to the spa.

To make things worse, since my visit to the spa I have received two letters from Manchester City Council stating that I am to pay fines of £100 for parking in the spa car park. I have spoken with the spa twice and understand that this happens often and they can cancel the fine. In conclusion, a very stressful experience and not one that I would want to repeat!

Visited November 2013
4 Thank EB5916

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Very relaxing day”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

My friend bought me a spa day here for my birthday. After reading the reviews I was a bit sceptical,but after turning up I was very pleasantly surprised!

Firstly,free parking (in the middle of Manchester!!!!)
On arrival we were greeted by the receptionist,he was very friendly and couldn't do enough to help.

The changing rooms were clean but small...but why do you need large changing rooms? There were 2loos and 2showers,a long dressing table with mirrors,lockers and seating.

The spa itself is lovely. The pool is tiled in black...very sophisticated! The loungers are comfy,magazines are provided to read,and there's a steam room and sauna. For some reason I thought there was a jacuzzi but there isn't.

The treatments were amazing. I had a hot stone massage and a leg,ankle and foot one from Nina,and they were both awesome! My friend also had the hot stone and a shellac manicure which she says was great,but they didn't have a lot of colour choice apparently.

You are given refreshments after your treatment,but can choose to have them before by the pool. Just the usual tea,coffe etc but an added bonus! I was also offered water after my treatment.

All in all,this place was very pleasing. We had a lovely day and felt very relaxed.

Loses a star only because a) it would be improved with the addition of a jacuzzi, and b) I'm sure more expensive spas may be more luxurious. But perfect for anyone wanting a relaxing pamper day.

Visited August 2013
Leek, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“spa day”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I brought this spa day for my friend for her 30th bday. We had a lovely time! up on arrival we were greeted by the friendly receptionist who told us about our day and gave us our towels, robes and slippers. The changing area was very clean and liked the fact that there were hair dryers available! We spent most of the day sat by the pool relaxing but did manage a swim in the beautiful pool and spent some time in the sauna and steam room. We got to choose a treatment with the package and both decided on the hot stone massage which was lovely and very relaxing! we also received 25% off all other treatments and I had a shellac manicure and my friend had a leg foot and ankle massage which were carried out by friendly staff.
After we decided to eat in the hotels bar where we also received 25% off and enjoy a lovely meal. We really enjoyed our day and would return without a doubt!

Visited August 2013
cumbria
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Spa Review Only.”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was very hesitant about booking this after reading the reviews on here, but decided to go ahead as there was an offer on for a spa day including treatment for £25 and we thought that maybe as the Spa seems relatively new then the negative reviews were maybe teething problems.

First the negatives: The changing room is very open and was quite small. As someone has already said there arent any cubicles to change in. Not a problem for me, Ive only got the same to look at as anyone else that would be getting changed in there so I'm not that bothered not having a cubicle to change in.
There was a nack to opening the locker, that initially took a while to get into it, but I didnt have any other problems after the first attempt.

The positives: It was clean and funtional and it looked very relaxing. The treatment was a full hour, I have never had a treatment included in a Spa day price that lasted that long. They're usually a mini version unless you pay the full price and book the treatment seperately.
I have absolutely no complaints about the treatment or facilities. In fact after reading the reviews on here I was very surprised at how good a day it was.

The staff were freindly and professional, the treatments we had were good and very much worth the money, even if we had paid the full £50, and we didnt come across anything dirty and broken.
I have been on more expensive spa days and not had a full hours treatment. I would recommend giving this place a go and seeing for yourself, especially if the half price offers are available.

Visited January 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Waste of time and money”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Part of a hen heaven (another waste of money) trip, had my eyebrows waxed and half of my eyelid went with it! Lockers difficult to unlock and sometimes don't unlock at all! No changing area, dirty & tired locker area. Grumpy receptionist

1 Thank Mrsc81