“Table service...”
Review of Jack Spratt - CLOSED

Jack Spratt
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A favourite local hideaway brimming with bohemian charm, Jack Spratt offers relaxed continental-style cuisine. Showcasing a homemade menu, wholesome Jack Spratt favourites include sizzling grill cuts, hand-pressed burgers and flavoursome vegetarian options, whilst a selective wine list showcases carefully chosen international bottles. Jack Spratt is renowned for its eclectic music playlist, and draws in a following with its regular live music sessions.
Reviewed April 8, 2012

With a decent sized cup of coffee this place is onto a lunchtime winner we had philly steak melt and french omelette both were tasty, well presented and reasonably priced. The only downside is despite being shown to your table and handed menus you are asked to order your food at the bar not too sure why as there are plenty front of house staff to offer table service which you would expect from a cafe/restaurant.

2  Thank DAAA26
There are newer reviews for Jack Spratt

Reviewed March 22, 2012

We decided to eat here whilst staying in Manchester for a trade fayre. The menu sounded good so we went in for some lunch.

The food whilst it was good was let down from the very poor service. One waiter was eating a bowl of soup whilst on the bar and another table waited at least 25 minutes to be cleared and in the end left with the table still not being cleared and there was only 4 tables in there including us.

All in all not very good but could be with a strong restaurant manager to compliment what was good food

2  Thank Shaun G
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Staying in Manchester for a few days, we came across this resturant by chance while looking for a place to eat one evening. Having read the menu in the window we decided to eat here.

Throughout our meal, we were served by at least 4 different waiters, and it all seemed quite disorganised e.g. one waiter took our drinks order then another one came to take it again. Surely it would be better to allocate one waiter per table? The waiter told us of the two specials for the day, which were so long and poncy sounding he had trouble remembering them. Usually I like to start with soup, but the soup of the day was white onion, which to me sounds disgusting! But each to their own.

Our starter of portobello mushrooms was amazing - they were gorgeous and one of the best things I've ever tasted in a resturant! My partner had chicken wings which were served with a shot of alcohol, which he asked not to be served as he wasn't drinking.

So I had high hopes for the main course, which was roasted butternut squash with rice and cajun style vegetables. It was all well cooked but there just wasn't enough rice or vegetables! There was about a 3 teaspoons or rice and 3 teeny tiny piles of vegetable, which was a shame as they tasted great. For a cost of about £12 I expected more - I wasn't even full after! Plus it took ages to come!

My partner had a steak, which he enjoyed even though it didn't come with the sauce he ordered. There was no offer of any salt, pepper or condiments. Neither was there an offer of more drinks, neither did any of the staff who walked past our table at any point during the evening ask if everything was ok. I think the staff could do with a little more customer service training!

We had some problems with the bill, as they had charged for the sauce that hadn't been served, and they had put the next table's drinks order onto our bill! We also thought it a little unfair that they did not offer to reduce the price of the chicken wing starter bearing in mind we didn't have the most expensive alcohol part! Not essential I know, but a gesture of goodwill that would have been appreciated... Although it may be their 'thing' to memorise orders and not write them down, perhaps it would be an idea to rethink this in order to not make these mistakes with the bill again. We spent just over £40 for two courses each and no alcohol.

Overall, the food and service were ok, but we would have prefered to have been served by 1 or 2 waiters, not each of them in turn! I really think this resturant needs to work out whether it wants to be posh, as suggested by the presentation of the food (big plate, little bit of food in the middle) or not, as suggested by the early meal deal, the lack of decent service etc. It is only when they have worked this out that they will be able to attract the kind of diners that will appreciate eating here otherwise, like us, they will expect a lot and end up leaving disappointed.

2  Thank jameskc_12
Reviewed March 10, 2012

My partner, a friend and I ate at Jack Spratt today (Sat, 10th March.) We sat down and had a look at the menu. We were given an additional menu that gave details of an evening menu. We deliberated whether or not is was valid with it being lunchtime but were a little confused as we we were given it along with the main menu. I asked a member of staff who seemed surprised that I'd even asked him and said that the menu was for Monday to Friday Evenings and was " a bit of advertising". We thought it was rather bizarre to be given a 'menu' that was not available at the time we were in the restaurant - a simple explanation of the 'advertising' upon arrival would have been more appropriate, I feel. After another 10-15 minutes we wondered why our order hadn't been taken - we hadn't even be asked if we'd like a drink. One of the staff members obviously heard our 'wonderings' and rudely told us that we have to order at the bar and it "says on the menu". His tone got my back up and I felt like leaving at that point but we decided to stay. It would have been nice had they made the effort to find out if we'd dined there before, and to make us aware of the ordering process. In fairness, the menu did state that customers were to order at the bar, however none of us noticed this whilst looking at the selections. Having said that, ordering at the bar is a pet hate of mine especially in an establishment like Jack Spratt. Why, when they bring food to the table, then ask if you'd like anything else, then subsequently bring it to you can't they actually take your order at the table is beyond me. In fact, we found the staff to be generally miserable upon arrival and throughout our visit - they did not make us feel welcome at all, and made little effort to deliver a good service. There were no smiles, no acknolwedgemwent, no service whatsoever. Most of the staff looked like they'd rather be anywhere else but there. We ordered food which was very tasty and of a high quality. Once we'd paid and left, at no point did the staff thanks us for our visit. We didn't leave a tip, of course, and to be honest we will not be visiting again, depsite the good food. There are many other excellent dining venues in Manchester that I'd rather give my money too - ones where I actually feel valued. My advice to Jack Spratt would be to get the staff some basic customer service skills. It's the little, human touches that make all the difference.

3  Thank Matthew G
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Jack Sprats is a small bistro/restaurant situated in a central location just off Albert Square,Manchester City centre.I must admit I must have walked past before and not noticied it! The staff are friendly without being intrusive.The decor is smart,modern and well presented.The presentation and standard of food was excellent.There was a good choice on the menu without being overwhelmed.My chicken in parma ham was very tasty though I needed extra chips as there was not a lot of veggies with it.They are doing a great early diner deal at present 2courses for £7.95 before 7pm.Excellent value.!They also do a good range of salads and sannies at lunchtime.Check it out..........I will return!

2  Thank mosiebolton