“Not recommended”
Review of Jack Spratt - CLOSED

Jack Spratt
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A favourite local hideaway brimming with bohemian charm, Jack Spratt offers relaxed continental-style cuisine. Showcasing a homemade menu, wholesome Jack Spratt favourites include sizzling grill cuts, hand-pressed burgers and flavoursome vegetarian options, whilst a selective wine list showcases carefully chosen international bottles. Jack Spratt is renowned for its eclectic music playlist, and draws in a following with its regular live music sessions.
London
“Not recommended”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Staying in Manchester for a few days, we came across this resturant by chance while looking for a place to eat one evening. Having read the menu in the window we decided to eat here.

Throughout our meal, we were served by at least 4 different waiters, and it all seemed quite disorganised e.g. one waiter took our drinks order then another one came to take it again. Surely it would be better to allocate one waiter per table? The waiter told us of the two specials for the day, which were so long and poncy sounding he had trouble remembering them. Usually I like to start with soup, but the soup of the day was white onion, which to me sounds disgusting! But each to their own.

Our starter of portobello mushrooms was amazing - they were gorgeous and one of the best things I've ever tasted in a resturant! My partner had chicken wings which were served with a shot of alcohol, which he asked not to be served as he wasn't drinking.

So I had high hopes for the main course, which was roasted butternut squash with rice and cajun style vegetables. It was all well cooked but there just wasn't enough rice or vegetables! There was about a 3 teaspoons or rice and 3 teeny tiny piles of vegetable, which was a shame as they tasted great. For a cost of about £12 I expected more - I wasn't even full after! Plus it took ages to come!

My partner had a steak, which he enjoyed even though it didn't come with the sauce he ordered. There was no offer of any salt, pepper or condiments. Neither was there an offer of more drinks, neither did any of the staff who walked past our table at any point during the evening ask if everything was ok. I think the staff could do with a little more customer service training!

We had some problems with the bill, as they had charged for the sauce that hadn't been served, and they had put the next table's drinks order onto our bill! We also thought it a little unfair that they did not offer to reduce the price of the chicken wing starter bearing in mind we didn't have the most expensive alcohol part! Not essential I know, but a gesture of goodwill that would have been appreciated... Although it may be their 'thing' to memorise orders and not write them down, perhaps it would be an idea to rethink this in order to not make these mistakes with the bill again. We spent just over £40 for two courses each and no alcohol.

Overall, the food and service were ok, but we would have prefered to have been served by 1 or 2 waiters, not each of them in turn! I really think this resturant needs to work out whether it wants to be posh, as suggested by the presentation of the food (big plate, little bit of food in the middle) or not, as suggested by the early meal deal, the lack of decent service etc. It is only when they have worked this out that they will be able to attract the kind of diners that will appreciate eating here otherwise, like us, they will expect a lot and end up leaving disappointed.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank jameskc_12

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“Good Food, Poor Service”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

My partner, a friend and I ate at Jack Spratt today (Sat, 10th March.) We sat down and had a look at the menu. We were given an additional menu that gave details of an evening menu. We deliberated whether or not is was valid with it being lunchtime but were a little confused as we we were given it along with the main menu. I asked a member of staff who seemed surprised that I'd even asked him and said that the menu was for Monday to Friday Evenings and was " a bit of advertising". We thought it was rather bizarre to be given a 'menu' that was not available at the time we were in the restaurant - a simple explanation of the 'advertising' upon arrival would have been more appropriate, I feel. After another 10-15 minutes we wondered why our order hadn't been taken - we hadn't even be asked if we'd like a drink. One of the staff members obviously heard our 'wonderings' and rudely told us that we have to order at the bar and it "says on the menu". His tone got my back up and I felt like leaving at that point but we decided to stay. It would have been nice had they made the effort to find out if we'd dined there before, and to make us aware of the ordering process. In fairness, the menu did state that customers were to order at the bar, however none of us noticed this whilst looking at the selections. Having said that, ordering at the bar is a pet hate of mine especially in an establishment like Jack Spratt. Why, when they bring food to the table, then ask if you'd like anything else, then subsequently bring it to you can't they actually take your order at the table is beyond me. In fact, we found the staff to be generally miserable upon arrival and throughout our visit - they did not make us feel welcome at all, and made little effort to deliver a good service. There were no smiles, no acknolwedgemwent, no service whatsoever. Most of the staff looked like they'd rather be anywhere else but there. We ordered food which was very tasty and of a high quality. Once we'd paid and left, at no point did the staff thanks us for our visit. We didn't leave a tip, of course, and to be honest we will not be visiting again, depsite the good food. There are many other excellent dining venues in Manchester that I'd rather give my money too - ones where I actually feel valued. My advice to Jack Spratt would be to get the staff some basic customer service skills. It's the little, human touches that make all the difference.

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank Matthew G
Bolton
“YOU'LL LICK THE PLATTER CLEAN...”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Jack Sprats is a small bistro/restaurant situated in a central location just off Albert Square,Manchester City centre.I must admit I must have walked past before and not noticied it! The staff are friendly without being intrusive.The decor is smart,modern and well presented.The presentation and standard of food was excellent.There was a good choice on the menu without being overwhelmed.My chicken in parma ham was very tasty though I needed extra chips as there was not a lot of veggies with it.They are doing a great early diner deal at present 2courses for £7.95 before 7pm.Excellent value.!They also do a good range of salads and sannies at lunchtime.Check it out..........I will return!

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank mosiebolton
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“pleasant lunch in welcoming venue”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

My nephew sometimes comes here in his office lunch hour, and as it was his birthday, I came to meet him here for hopefully something more than a quick bland snack. We were not disappointed. Pleasant surroundings (though I wish the dark varnished booths matched the plain wooden tables which made up the majority of the furniture) and a friendly and obliging staff welcomed us. My goat cheese salad was delicious, and when my sister said how lovely the dressing was, the friendly waiter went off to find details of it for her.

I am not a native of Manchester---sometimes in a strange town you can be bemused by the number of eateries on offer, but this is one which I would look out for, and to which I would happily return

• Visited February 2012
Stockport in Cheshire UK
“Brilliant breakfast!”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Fabulous scrambled eggs with ham & two rashers of bacon accompanied by a cup of tea, a smile and a newspaper. Brilliant start to the day when meeting up with friends.
Everything was clean & immaculate & the service was polite & helpful. A delight!

• Visited January 2012