“Paul Weller at the Apollo”

O2 Apollo Manchester
Ranked #34 of 175 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Owner description: The O2 Apollo Manchester opened on August 29th 1938 and is one of the premier concert venues in England, with shows from every major rock, pop and comedy act on the touring circuit. The breadth of styles of events covers every market - the cutting edge of modern British music, through some of the biggest artists from overseas, popular comedy, and music for older generations. With both fully seated and part-standing formats, this versatile venue increases its footfall and presentations year on year. Art Deco in style, the Grade II listed building has been central to the British touring circuit for decades, attracting Best Venue nominations and patrons from across the globe.
Swansea, United Kingdom
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Paul Weller at the Apollo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great venue. NIce size, good atmosphere in the stalls (standing). Good slope down to stage so view was excellent.

Visited October 2013

• Hebrew first
Burnley, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great venue - but bad experience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I went to see Macklemore this September, I've been to the Apollo a few times but never experienced such a queue! it went around the block. Once we got in the door staff were friendly and ushers at the door very friendly.

Had one bad experience with a staff member (apparently called Marvin?) I went to stand near the front, left hand side where there was a space. There was a child there about age 12/13, he was the same height as me (Despite my age I'm only 4ft 10) I was immediately pushed out of the way and told I couldn't stand there. I explained the child was, and didn't think it would be a problem. He told me he was a child and that's why. He told me I have to be beyond the carpet. So I stepped back over the carpet onto the laminate area where the majority of people were. This apparently wasn't good enough for him so he pushed me further into the crowd. I explained I was stood where everyone else was, but he continued to push me. Further on into the concert everyone was stood where I first was, so I moved back to the location, only to get pushed again? hmmm. Marvin (?) explained to me that it was his responsibility to make sure the child had a good time (?) All well and good, couldn't agree more, but his rude power trip seemed to last throughout the show. To top it off, the very tall father then put the lad on his shoulders, blocked the view of a whole group of us. Marvin didn't bat an eyelid. I have no problem with people being taller or in front of me - it's how concerts are! but the treatment was just daft.

At the end of the concert when I asked other staff for the Marvin(?)'s name, I was refused by his fellow members of staff.... strange.

I regularly go to concerts and have for years, but he has to be the rudest person I've ever had and experience with, and that includes the burly security men! And I will stress all the door staff were lovely and very helpful.

The Bar staff were lovely - never a long queue and fast service. Not many toilets at the front of the building - much more once you get into the hall.

It's a great place for a gig and a good small size.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank SproutFarmer
Yorkshire
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“Great night out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We visited here (1st time) on Thursday 12th September - to see macklemore.
The venue it's self I would class as a small intimate place for who it was performing. We were right at the front so got a very good view. Staff are friendly and hand out free water throughout the show.
I know this is not the venue's problem but they should have restaurant/pub that serves food nearby as we had to settle for McDonalds!! They would make a killing, just saying
However, would deffo come see an act here again! :)

Visited September 2013
Staffordshire, UK
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Top venue for gigs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have been here three times and its always been a good venue. I saw The Game here twice in concert and Rick Ross as well. The arena has plenty of facilities and plenty of room, the gigs here are wicked

Visited November 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“We love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Ah yes, the Apollo, a Manchester institution. We have been here countless times through its various incarnations and we love it. It's a bit knocked about, a bit scruffy but it all works beautifully. Like a comfy, old pair of trainers, it's always nice to come back to after some of the more modern, impersonal venues. I could rattle on about the great door staff, fab pub next door but also its own fine bars, good views and sound, large car park, friendly bootleggers outside...Tip: If there is downstairs standing, book it, or go for centre circle seats. To avoid queues, plan your 'comfort' breaks. Oh, and don't miss The Saw Doctors!

Visited June 2013