“New Management!”
Review of Smithfield Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manchester
Smithfield Hotel
Ranked #14 of 29 Manchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 21, 2014

A friend of mine has taken over The Smithfield Hotel so please excuse all the previous comments. They have spent the last few weeks sorting the place out and are trying really hard and many of the rooms have recently been refurbished in to en-suites - there should be new pictures on the website soon. In the meantime please visit their facebook (facebook.com/smithfieldhotel Manchester) and Twitter @The_Smithfield. Thanks!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank redmanc007

Reviewed January 9, 2014

we were greeted on check in by a scruffy looking man who claimed to be the owner, who had clearly been drinking, and possibly even smoking mrajuana, as the whole bar area stank of it, we nearly walked out but given it was 7 pm on a saturday we probably would not of got a hotel anywhere else, we were given a key and told to find our own way up to the room,, so we ventured up the starirscase minus a lightbulb in it, which is dangerous in itself, walked along the creeky corridor past bags of cement and tiles, to our room, now i wasn't expecting much given the greeting and the hallway etc, but honestly i wouldn't board my dog here, the door into the room had a gaping hole in it, which we had to stuff with a pillow, the beds were hard, old and smelly duvet, and the actual mattress was covered in stains, alas we needed to get ready for a family meal out, so we put all this to one side of our minds and set about getting ready, the bathroom is a communal one back down the hallway of death, i ventured in first to a wash of dirty towels unclean toilet, stains in the sink and..... prepare yourself a used condom, flung in the toilet, at this point i saw red got our things and demanded our money back from the drunk stoned owner, he told us to get out as apparently he had just cleaned the bathroom and our room, evidently not, i stood my ground and demanded a refund he squared up to me and said he was calling the police, my girlfriend was trying to get me to leave but i was not standing for such uclean and unprofessional service, after 10 minutes of arguning i got my money back, and left with a full report via email to health and safety, if you value your life, sanity and well being stay away from this place, drug use, drunk owner, dirty rooms and a condom in the toilet is not what you want for 40 pound a room a night

Room Tip: non of the rooms are good
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marcusstevenson_11
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here one night to see MUSE!! Thankfully it was just one night. Never again!!! Cash only and pay upfront. Given a code as could only get in through the back door later at night from the scruffy street. Wallpaper hanging off. Room smells of smoke. Peanuts all over the shared bathroom and hair in the sinks. The toilet in our room was not plumed in. Bunk beds that you had to climb into!! Shocking experience and very embracing as I booked it for others also.

Room Tip: Not Advised
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann H
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I could not believe the reviews below, the owner has explained to me that, he has been sorting out the rooms one by one and was so proud and enthusiastic about what it was going to look like.

One thing that was really clear was that the owner, who you see working on the place, knows the place needs a refurb.so that would explain the tools from other reviews being left around

The point of trip advisor is to voice opinions so that notice is taken, and in this case it has been!
The problem is with all of these bad reviews I feel nobody will ever get to see the effort put in to the place

My room was the one with the colourful tiles at the top it was clean, well decorated, spacious and had the quant feeling that you where staying in a friends room rather than the generic hotel clone that we all are too used too.

I only stayed one night as I had to go back to London unexpectedly however I have booked a room for tonight and will be staying for the week. without hesitation.

Please ignore the shocking reviews they are outdated and unfair.

Room Tip: top floor room 3
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2013

What a total rip off!!! There was no mention when booking a twin room over the phone that it was cash only!!! I was told that when I got there. Then there was no ATM facility in the hotel which is actually an old pub. I then had to walk 4 blocks to find one at the bus station. I had booked a twin room for my cousin and I HOWEVER we were put in a room with 3 sets of bunk beds really!!! Being in our 40's we are definitely past that!!! Then we were told NOT to use the ensuite bathroom with shower and toilet as the lady checking us in did not know if it was connected up properly. We were told to use the main bathroom with shower and toilet further down the hall (we had to go through a security fire door in the middle of the night to get there!!), then that main bathroom ran out of toilet paper, there was no soap in the shower!!. The owner rang me back after I left a note describing our extremely disappointing stay at his hotel and offered to refund our money as the experience had been so bad however of course no money has been forthcoming, no refund has appeared in my bank account as promised!! So they obviously do not care about the clientele at this hotel. Extremely disappointing, NOT worth the money, staff attitude bad.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Me and the wife planned to stay here for three days but could only bear 1. Seriously, it has to be the most grotty, run-down B+B in Manchester. Holes in the wall, staff incredibly rude, blocked fire exits, damp carpets and beds so lumpy sleep is virtually impossible. Rooms really small and stink of damp. I wasn't expecting 5 star quality like some people do but I wouldn't even recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. The staff need lessons on how to treat customers, and the rooms need re-plastering. The bathroom walls and ceiling were covered in mould, toilet was filthy, lighting didn't work. NEVER EVER EVER book a stay here, you will regret it just as we did

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kalahari234
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Good point-close to big shopping centre and within walking distance of Etihad stadium.

Bad points-everything else. Dingy, stinking back street pub where noone seems to know anything. Tried to charge us more than agreed via email, didn't tell us on booking that check in was 2.30pm-we arrived at 9am!-told us check out was 12 noon but manager came to our room at 11.30am to tell us we should have checked out at 10.

The place is dirty and stinks. You have to use a coded back door to enter and exit outside opening hours, which is down an alley which at night was full of drunk people smoking. You can enter through the pub if it is still open but it is also stinking. The stairs up to the rooms are disgusting and a fire hazard-no lighting, littered with tools and paint tins. We booked a double room but got one with a single bed and bunk beds. Bunk beds not comfortable at all.

I could go on.... just don't stay here if you can possibly find anywhere else. They also only accept cash, no credit cards. We paid £40 per night, £39 too much in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2013