“Outstanding local food”

The Rose Garden
Ranked #160 of 2,261 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: New to West Didsbury’s Burton Road, The Rose Garden serves exciting contemporary British food created by owner and head Chef William Mills. It’s very much a family affair — William’s elder Brother Tom constructed the interior to a design created by their architect father, the restaurant’s striking visual appeal is complemented by professional but informal table service from William’s younger siblings.
“Outstanding local food”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

The Rose Garden on Burton Road in West Didsbury may be small, but it's perfectly formed.

From the frankly remarkable balsamic reduction you get with the bread at the start to the wonderfully tasty dessert selection, every mouthful has been a joy on my four visits so far.

Definitely worth a visit and surprisingly excellent on price.

Visited March 2014

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Food that makes you smile”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We had an absolutely amazing meal here and I will definitely be going back. The menu looks really appealing and exciting, but most importantly it truly delivers what it promises to. Food that is so good it brings a smile to your face. As we went on a week night they had a special offer - 3 courses for £20 - we didn't expect this when booking and I can say it makes for an absolute steal.

Service was very friendly. There were a couple of minor mistakes, but they were instantly rectified.

I'm very pleased this restaurant is in south Manchester and will definitely be returning.

• Visited May 2014
Cheshire
“I beg your pardon, I can't promise you a rose garden but a great meal”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

It was during a recent visit to our dentist and sharing our latest restaurant news that The Rose Garden in Didsbury was mentioned and so we thought we would give it a try. This small restaurant is bright, white and modern. The food was fabulous and although the service was a little on the slow side it was certainly well worth waiting for.

We perused the menu whilst enjoying some reasonably priced crisp white Chilean White Sauvignon blanc and a lovely bowl of plump green olives. There was so much to choose from on this imaginative menu and in the end I started with the watercress & goats curd soup with artisan bread and my wife had the crab & smoked salmon terrine. She followed this with a pan-seared fillet of sea bream, accompanied with carrot, leek, potato & mussel broth, watercress, and lemon oil which was delicious. I chose the perfectly cooked Lamb with duck fat roasts, honey mustard roasted parsnips, carrot and nutmeg mash, greens, Yorkshire pudding and gravy.

We both agreed that we had chosen well and we even managed to squeeze in a delicious pudding to complete the meal having both decided on a vanilla crème caramel, brandied sultanas, toasted pine nuts and thyme leaves. Good quality coffee rounded off a memorable meal and an enjoyable evening. There are some great combinations to excite the pallet on this menu and our meals were selected from the very fairly priced set menu.

So, if you are looking for some really good food at a reasonable price, nicely cooked and well presented then you will definitely enjoy the Rose Garden, we did and we will again.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank CheshireSpices
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very small portions, expensive, clinical in appearance & comfort.”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

When this Resteraunt first opened i remember trying it once & not wanting to go back.
For starter I had had tortellini which was served as 3 small pieces on a long plate with a clear sauce as a thin layer covering the plate. The chicken as a main was the size of a drumstick & the lady who was 'hosting' did not smile when greeting us entering the Resteraunt.

Giving it the benefit of the doubt I went again as a group of 3 friends on a Friday night recently.
The staff were much friendlier, the wine was delicious & the menu looked intriguing (all going well so far). Unfortunately when the meals were served the portion sizes were again very small. Normally in expensive Resteraunt's the portions are smaller than average but this was ridiculous.
The pork belly was a centimetre thick & around 3 inches by 2inches plus the sea bass on top was cut to the same size with a large ladle sized scoop of mashed potato underneath. A disproportionate plate. The other problem was that the bowl it was set in was huge but with a small dent for the food in the middle so it was impossible to cut up & eat with out raising your elbows.
Knowing that we could be hungry afterwards we ordered chips which came on a small plate with 6 chips stacked like Jenga. They were limp & greasy so they were kindly taken off the bill along with the green vegetables which were cold on arrival & barely covered the small plate.

I realise there have been some excellent reviews of this Resteraunt & others have had a very positive experience, hence the reason I gave it another try, but unfortunately myself & my table agreed that we would not be paying another visit.

• Visited February 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Incredible fine dining experience.”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I have been to the Rose Garden three times and it certainly ideal for special occasions or dates.

I initially decided to go based on the ranking it had achieved on TripAdvisor.

Everytime I have been, the service has been very good and the staff are all extremely friendly and knowledgeable about the dishes they serve. The interior is beautifully designed and the atmosphere is perfect for any occasion.

I found the food absolutely glorious.. I had a dessert of duck egg creme brulee served inside a duck with a strawberry yolk and shortbread "soldiers". This is just an example of how creative the menu has been and will continue to be.

It is slightly expensive, but I would argue it is good value for money for what it is. It is an absolute gem.

I have had some of the best food I have ever eaten in the Rose Garden. Absolutely love it!

• Visited February 2014