“"You couldn't have it if you did want it," the Queen said. "The rule is, Jam tomorrow and jam yesterday - but never jam to-day."”
Review of Richmond Tea Rooms

Ranked #1 of 45 Dessert in Manchester
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Cheshire, England
“"You couldn't have it if you did want it," the Queen said. "The rule is, Jam tomorrow and jam yesterday – but never jam to-day."”
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

Unless of course you are visiting the delightful Richmond Tea Rooms ... Where it would be terribly rude not to have their jam, with a warm homemade scone and a dollop of clotted cream, today.

My first, and certainly not last, visit to Richmond Tearooms was everything I hoped that it would be. From the most amazing decor and quirky furniture to mouth watering, delicious food and cheerful staff our lunchtime treat was delightful.

We were warmly greeted as we came in and seated quickly. The lady that served us was fantastic, a warm sense of humour and smiles aplenty. Our food was brought swiftly and was on the most delicious granary bread with ample filling. The cake selection deserves a whole review of its own! It was so hard to choose from the cakes on offer and the selection chose were tasty and moist and melted in our mouths.

When you visit, and I insist you do, take some time to immerse yourselves in the surroundings, every corner, wall, skirting board tells a story. It is a truly enchanting experience and took me right back to my childhood.

The children who were dining when we were there today looks to be having a super time as their curiosity explored the "place where little people go". keep your eye out and be sure to find the "DRINK ME" potion that may allow you shrink enough to fit through and discover the land within!!

I have left, happy and with an overwhelming desire to watch Alice in Wonderland over and over again... A truly enchanting experience! Thank you Richmond Tea Rooms.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Michelle B
RichmondTeaRooms, Manager at Richmond Tea Rooms, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hello Michelle,

Wow! what a great review you certainly know your Alice in Wonderland.

It sounds as though you had a fantastic afternoon with us and I am delighted that you found our tea rooms so enchanting.

I do agree with you though every time you come through the doors and take your seat you notice something different that you had not noticed before, I think that is all part of the experience here at Richmond Tea Rooms.

Did you notice the mouse hole under the cake fridge decked out inside with little beds and blankets and teddy bears fast asleep.....

It is delightful to hear you were able to immerse yourself in our little world of delights for a couple of hours and thank you so much for sharing that with us...it bought a smile to our faces!

Kind Regards

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

I came here for the first time today and loved it. I was sceptical as I thought that it could be similar to tea rooms in the northern quarter which can be very disappointing but I was pleasantly surprised! I had a gorgeous warm scone with jam and cream and a pot of earl grey which was wonderful. Not extortionate prices either and very friendly staff. Can't wait to come back.

• Visited August 2014
Hello Abi,

I am delighted that we were able to surprise and delight you with our tea rooms and especially with the freshly baked warm scones with clotted cream and jam.

Next time you come Abi try our Alice's rarebit, it is rather a plateful but very, very delicious.

Look forward to seeing you again.

London, United Kingdom
“Quirky Nom Nom's”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

What a lovely venue. Tucked away just off Canal Street, you walk into a venue that wouldn't be out of place on an Alice in Wonderland movie. No chairs match, there is a tartan fabric wallpaper and the chandeliers are made of antlers.
We luckily didn't have to wait long for a table.
Cake display makes you moist in anticipation and they do the most fabulous Welsh Rarebit I have found in England.
Totally reasonably priced and a great atmosphere.
My only gripe is you can't book at weekends unless 6 or more of you.
If in town, go check it out, you wont be disappointed.
Oh on the evening you can also get bar snacks and chair bop along to some dance beats.

• Visited August 2014
RichmondTeaRooms, Manager at Richmond Tea Rooms, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am so pleased you found us in the gay village and we were able to seat you quite quickly and you got enjoyed some of the lovely things we have on offer.

The Welsh Rarebit is personally my favourite item on our menu. it is so very scrummy and is one of our most ordered items.

I do apologise about the weekend booking policy but it is the only way we get to give everyone a fair chance of getting a table, if we opened up all our tables for bookings we would have over a 4 week waiting time to book a table and I am afraid not everyone can plan that far into the future.

We will always endeavour to sit you as quickly as possible whenever you visit but my tip is try to avoid the peak times between 1-4pm, don't forget we are open until 11pm Fri and Sat and 10pm Sundays.

Hope that helps a little.

Kind Regards
Bedford, United Kingdom
“A lovely, quirky venue”
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely afternoon here yesterday. There was a short wait for a table, which was unsurprising on a wet Saturday afternoon. We all had the Hatters tea which was a perfect sized portion, the staff were so friendly and welcoming and we didn't feel rushed at all! The atmosphere was very relaxed with a the customers clearly enjoying themselves.

1 Thank sparkler10
Hello,

Thank you for your review, very kind of you to take the time to write one for us.

The tea rooms is a lovely place on a wet weekend afternoon and as you say what a great atmosphere with everyone laughing and having a good time, weekends are a favourite time for our more refined ladies hen parties and baby showers as well as family get together's and friends catching up time.

So please you had such a great time and were made to feel so welcome.

Stockport, United Kingdom
“Quirky afternoon tea”
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I called for an afternoon tea... It's quirky and fun... Ordered a hatters tea which was 10.50 ...reasonably priced. Choice of teas to choose from... Lovely. It was mid week and it was very busy. I agree you should be able to book beforehand . Well worth a visit.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Belinda H
Hello Belinda,

Thank you for your lovely comments and so pleased you enjoyed your Hatters tea.

It has got busier midweek since the children broke up from school but nothing like the weekends.

To answer you question on the bookings. u can book for parties of 4 or more midweek....6 or more at weekends.

The reason we do not open up all the tables to bookings is that we would be booked up for weeks in advance.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write us a lovely review.