“Fabulous time”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Fabulous time”
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Had my daughters 40th celebrations there on Saturday. Absolutely perfect. Lovely lovely food. Lots of choices. Impeccable service. The staff made the day for us. Truly wonderful experience. 20 of us went. All want to go back.

• Arabic first
“Enjoyable First Experience”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I've lived in Manchester for nearly 8 years and didn't have a clue that this place existed until a new friend suggested we try it out one Saturday afternoon.

We timed our arrival very well as we were told we could be seated pretty much immediately, whereas 2 people who arrived just moments after us were told it would be a wait of 30 minutes, and by the time we left there were people queuing all the way down the stairs and into the street!

Having never been to a tea room before I must say I enjoyed the overall ambience of the place, the front of which has an Alice's Adventures In Wonderland feel to it (with signs such as Eat Me and Drink Me etc.).

We decided on a 'Queen's Tea', which was a mid-priced and mid-sized option for afternoon tea, and shortly after ordering, the waiters started to arrive with our order. There was a 3-tier stand with a small selection of finger sandwiches and mini quiches at the bottom, an assortment of miniature cakes in the middle, and the top was adorned by 2 enormous scones together with clotted cream and a small jar of jam.

Everything we ate was very nice, although the balance was very much on the sweet over the savoury.

The only disappointment was the tea, but that was because no-one informed us that the tea was made with leaves (not bags) and were not given strainers, meaning that our first cups were full of tea leaves. When we pointed this out we received apologies and extra water to add to the pot, but I would have expected a more appropriate response to be a new pot made from scratch.

Overall, however, I enjoyed the experience and would go again, trying something else from what appeared to be quite a comprehensive menu.

• Visited March 2014
“We're all mad here”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Now I'm a sucker for a tea room, I've got a teacup tattoo'd on my foot for Christ's sake. When my friend and I wanted a girly catch up a tea room in the gay village with an Alice in Wonderland themed interior seemed way to good to pass up. We decided to have an afternoon tea together, and we opted to the hatter's tea which included finger sandwiches and a scone. The waiters were all extremely attentive and answered all of my friend's questions (she's quite an awkward diner).

The sandwiches were slightly disappointing, not really worth what we paid if you ask me. I started to wish I had ordered something else. However, the Richmond blend tea was lovely and the scone I had was also delicious. Oh, and I was also a bit naughty and had a slice of carrot cake too (I just couldn't resist!) which was pretty darn good too.

The interior is beautiful, the service fantastic and teacup and teapots that they use make you feel like you're having a real afternoon tea. I would definitely come back again, but I think I would order something else off the menu or perhaps just come for tea and cake.

• Visited February 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Mother's Day afternoon tea”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

First experience at the tea rooms and it was by far the best tea rooms I have ever visited! The staff couldn't do enough, with advice on having the champagne before our afternoon tea arrived, then offering to take a photo of us without us having to ask! Attentive and good humoured, could not do enough! Our waiter was Jack and another man (unfortunately didn't catch his name) who even wrote down the name of the champagne for us as it was delicious! This was our first visit and it certainly won't be our last as the extensive menu is one that i need to keep on trying! Thank you Richmond Tea rooms for lovely Mother's Day which my mum, nana and myself enjoyed thoroughly.

Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
“Quirky”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We'll worth a visit, staff could not be more welcoming. Breakfast just perfect and proper tea. Be prepared you may need to queue but worth the wait