“Alice in the Wonderland”
Review of Richmond Tea Rooms

Richmond Tea Rooms
Ranked #1 of 43 Dessert in Manchester
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
England, United Kingdom
“Alice in the Wonderland”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Feeling like being Alice... in the Wonderland :) We didn't make the reservation~ and we wait for one hour... but it is worth it.. the staffs are super nice.. and me and my friends having an amazing time there.. :D

I really love the richmond tea~ it's strong but it's amazing. AND the sandwich is worth it
I'll come here again next time :D

• Arabic first
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An amazing place”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Staying with a friend in Manchester and what a find! Fantastic service, excellent food and an amazing selection of teas. Well worth a visit and can't wait to go back for an afternoon tea.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not convinced.”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Went here with a group to celebrate a friends birthday, the room and staff are lovely, the food however I am unconvinced about. Most in the group had the Richmond tea, which was beautifully presented, although at £23.50 per head I feel a little expensive. I on the other hand had Alice's rarebit (as you couldn't choose the finger sandwiches the tea came with and I can't eat pork or shellfish), which was awful, bread soggy, the rarebit itself had far too much wholegrain mustard in it which made it inedible. The tea however was lovely and the cakes looked delicious, maybe worth going back for another try.

1 Thank bigshop S
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Could do better !”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We went to celebrate our friend's birthday. Party of 8 women looking forward to the expeience. Loved the quirky tea room and Alice in Wonderland theme. Also liked the choice of afternoon teas to suit all tastes and pockets. Unfortunately the place was extremely busy and this impacted hugely on the service. We were happy to have a drink and peruse the menu with no rush however when we did order it was at least 40 minutes before we received any food. This would have been acceptable if a member of staff had taken the trouble to explain and apologise for the delay.
We also got our hot drinks immediately rather than being served with the afternoon tea.When we raised this we were grudgingley sent hot water and not fresh pots of tea. Still no sandwiches and cakes. The place was clearly understaffed and the staff stressed. When my afternoon tea finally arrived the order was wrong . I asked for brown bread and got white. The order was changed but this led to further delay . My friends had virtually finished before i got mine.That said great choice of fillings loved the goats cheese and fig. Bread was lovely and soft. Cream for scone was whipped and not clotted and scone was on the hard side. Afternoon tea pricey for what you get to be honest.
Two friends had the 'rarebit' cheese on bloomer bread. Looked lovely but overpowered by mustard which spoiled the flavour. Far too much mustard.
When we spoke to the manager we were told it was the busiest day and the staff had not had a break and our waitress was at breaking point !
Now feel bad for saying anything when the management should ensure they dont overbook tearoom and have enough staff to serve!
That said with a bit of tweaking the place could be great . Sort staffing and service out.

2 Thank wendywarry
London, United Kingdom
“A gem in the heart of Manchesters”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I had never visited Richmond Tea Rooms but heard so many lovely reviews i finally made time to visit last weekend. The wonderfully quirky decor, the vintage-style mismatched chairs, great food (and even greater cakes!), beautiful tea service & friendly waiting staff made our visit perfect! After our tea, lunch and cakes we were amazed at how reasonable priced the food & drinks were, for such a lovely little place. Our waitress was friendly and extremely attentive (she even gave us a run through of all the cakes on offer as me & my sister couldn't decide which one to choose!) I haven't stopped taking about the place since, and will most definitely be back when i return to Manchester.

• Visited January 2013